PDA

View Full Version : ottawa recommendations?

veganfreak
Feb 13th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Though I'm a citizen of the burgeoning empire of the Dubya, I live only about 20 minutes from the border with Canada and about 1.5 hours from Ottawa. I go to Ottawa pretty frequently, particularly when I need a dose of civilization (I live in whitebread rural america which has its charms, but sometimes they wear thin).

Does anyone have any good Ottawa vegan eating recommendations?

On a side note, how about good alternative bookstores? Good tattoo shops that do custom/artsy work? Good independent record stores?

thanks!

meatless
Feb 13th, 2005, 11:30 PM
The Green Door restaurant (Main St.) and The Table Restaurant (Holland/Wellington) are both good buffet-style vegetarian restaurants with quite a few vegan options. Next door to the Green Door is a book store that you may like. I know nothing about tattoo shops or record stores.

If you're looking for vegan/vegetarian groceries etc. Rainbow Foods (www.rainbowfoods.net) is my absolute favorite. It also has "deli" type veg stuff there, if you just feel like snacking.

meatless
Feb 14th, 2005, 12:19 AM
Sorry I had to end that rather abruptly when the phone rang.

There is also a restaurant called "Govinda's" that is supposed to be quite vegan friendly, although I have never been. It's on Somerset St. (Chinatown area).

wilson
Feb 14th, 2005, 04:57 PM
hi,

the two restaurants mentioned are great. There are also a few good places that are vegan friendly like So Good (Chinese) on Somerset, Caribbean Flavors at Somerset/Rochester, and Light of India on Bank St in the Glebe.

Record shops: Bearing in mind I have no idea what kind of music you're into :)Organised Sound on Bank St, just south of the Queensway, is probably my favourite, they have a great mix of stuff, lots of vinyl, and they're pretty friendly. Compact Music has two stores on Bank, one in the Glebe, one downtown. They have a good selection, are pretty cheap, but the staff are a little too into Eric Clapton type stuff for my liking. There's also some good places down on Rideau St, Record Runner is great, lots of stuff, plus loads of cheap 'must have' CDs of stuff from the sixties onwards. That's the place I'd take an alien who had just landed and wanted to get hip to all the good stuff but didn't want to spend an arm and a leg (assuming that aliens have arms and legs).

As for tattoos, can't really help you, though there are lots of places on and around Rideau Street, some of which look slightly less scary than others. There was a place called 'Insane Tattoos' on Wellington that looked exactly like the last place that anyone would go for such a life changing operation. Sadly they closed.

hope this helps,
Wilson

meatless
Feb 14th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Hi Wilson, i have heard of the places you mention but I am new to the "ethnic" food bit... is it easy to identify which things are veggie/vegan on the menus even if you don't know much about Chinese/Indian food? my husband and I would like to try out some of these places but are afraid of ending up with the wrong stuff!

wilson
Feb 14th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Hi there,

Indian places are very straightforward - the culture is very sympathetic towards veg*n diets, and I have never come across an indian waiter who is not happy to answer questions about ingredients. Curries don't have stuff like beef stock - all the base ingredients are veg*n : ginger, garlic, spices, ghee (oil), tomatos, etc. Most curry menus will say something like "all curries can be made vegetarian by request" - they just don't add the meat, and there are usually veg options right there on the menu. There are a few dishes to look out for, e.g. that use cream, but usually it says in the menu.

Chinese restaurants usually have a vege section. 'So Good' are vegan friendly, meaning they're happier to answer questions and understand the various requirements. Sometimes you do get blank stares in Chinese places, as unlike Indian folks they're way more into beef dishes etc. Some of the smaller chinese places around Somerset/Booth are non-vege, as in nothing on the menu does not contain beef. Thai places on the other hand, will usually have a nice selection of very exotic tasting soups, spring rolls etc that are veg*n.

Do you know about the vegan meetup club in Ottawa ? They go to a place to eat every month. There's a vegetarian club too, and it's more or less the same people. I've only managed to tag along once, but they're a very nice crowd, different walks of life etc. Here's the link:

http://vegan.meetup.com/39/

Hope this has been some help - sorry if I've rattled on and told you loads of stuff you knew already !

cheers
Wilson

veganfreak
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:58 PM
thanks so much to you both -- you've given me many many places to try! I can't wait to get over there. :)

...hmm wonder if they take americans in the ottawa veg meet-up? ;)

wilson
Feb 14th, 2005, 08:12 PM
...hmm wonder if they take americans in the ottawa veg meet-up? ;)

well, they take limeys, so you should be OK ;)

wilson
Feb 14th, 2005, 08:46 PM
Actually, while we're talking about Ottawa and veganism, does anyone know where I can get vegan footwear in Ottawa or very nearby ? I've gone to a few shops that have some non-leather shoes, alongside 500 pairs of leather shoes, but I'd like to find a place more geared towards veganism, and support that. I also know there's a few places online, but I like to try stuff on before I purchase, especially as I have orthotic (sp?) insoles for my gorgeous flat feet.

meatless
Feb 14th, 2005, 09:01 PM
oooh, I'm a girl so that makes it much easier for me. I don't know of any place that is dedicated to vegan footwear, I just go all over the place and hope I find something. I get a lot of shoes from Payless, Sears, Winners, and I look for New Balance shoes when needing running shoes. Many of them are vegan, and the company is committed to anti-sweatshop principals.

Feb 15th, 2005, 04:43 AM
Hi there,

Do you know about the vegan meetup club in Ottawa ? They go to a place to eat every month. There's a vegetarian club too, and it's more or less the same people. I've only managed to tag along once, but they're a very nice crowd, different walks of life etc. Here's the link:

http://vegan.meetup.com/39/

Hope this has been some help - sorry if I've rattled on and told you loads of stuff you knew already !

cheers
Wilson

I went to the vegan meetup for the first time this month, and it was a lot of fun. We went to So Good, and there was about 10 people there, all very friendly and seemed like great people. I've only ever talked to 1 real vegan in person before , so it was awesome! I can't wait for next time.

onion
Sep 9th, 2005, 02:23 AM
I am a bit late with this post (it being September and all!), but there is also another good vegetarian restaurant (with a lot of vegan options on the menu) in the Ottawa U. area...called "Perfection, Satisfaction, Promise" (used to be called The Painted Potato). The menu has heaps of jacket potatoes on the menu (hence the former name), all with really cool fillings...all vegetarian, about half of them vegan. The main dishes always look delicious, too...there's usually a special everyday. You can also get salads, soups, homemade bread, yummy specialty drinks and desserts, too. Just thought I'd add this in, in case anyone is still wondering!

wilson
Sep 9th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I am a bit late with this post (it being September and all!), but there is also another good vegetarian restaurant (with a lot of vegan options on the menu) in the Ottawa U. area...called "Perfection, Satisfaction, Promise" (used to be called The Painted Potato).

yeah, that's a good place, very tripped out vibe. Worth going just for the picture of Sri Chimnoy lifting a huge amount of weights and looking like Aleister Crowley. It can get a bit crowded there though, as it's not a huge place.

Only recently I started going to The Green Door - I'd been to the one in the markets before it closed, but there is the one across the road from St Paul's college. And it took my new girlfriend, an omnivore, to introduce me to this place :o

wilson
Sep 9th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I just got through posting my last message when I got an email from the Ottawa veg*n meetup group, saying the meet for tomorrow is at Perfection Satisfaction Promise. Coincidence ? I think not ;)

Here are the details:

Just a quick automated reminder that The Ottawa Veg*n Meetup
Group has an event tomorrow. You didn't RSVP but if you can
make it, here are the details:

See who's coming and RSVP (it's not too late!):
http://vegetarian.meetup.com/6/events/4748054/ (http://vegetarian.meetup.com/6/events/4748054/)

What: The Ottawa Veg*n September Meetup

When: Saturday, September 10 at 3:00PM
Where: Perfection Satisfaction Promise
167 Laurier Ave E
Ottawa ON K1N 6N8
613-234-7299

Event Description:
Best vegan desserts in town IMO.
Chocolate cheesecake,
Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting,
Coconut Cream pie,
Chocolate Cake, etc, etc (varies).
+/-$5/slice.

However you are welcome to come eat a non-dessert (late
lunch/early supper).

Welcome to give feedback on the day/time.
Thanks!

meatless
Sep 9th, 2005, 03:29 PM
I love Perfection Satisfaction Promise. It has great food and the women who work there are very nice. :)

I have yet to go to a meetup... I'm afraid to!

wilson
Sep 9th, 2005, 06:46 PM
I have yet to go to a meetup... I'm afraid to!

don't be afraid - it's a nice group of people ! I've been to a couple of meetups, and it's been a good time both times. Plenty of people to chat to, different backgrounds etc. Plus no 'in crowd' or clique or whatever, everyone is open and welcoming :)

HollyHox
Dec 26th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Hi guys! I'm so happy to have found postings about Ottawa!! I'm from Montreal, but will be moving to Ottawa really soon and I'm looking forward to discovering the city! :)

Pilaf
Dec 26th, 2005, 11:18 PM
(I live in whitebread rural america which has its charms, but sometimes they wear thin).

Charms? Such as? (I live in rural America. I see no charms)

meatless
Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:08 PM
Hi guys! I'm so happy to have found postings about Ottawa!! I'm from Montreal, but will be moving to Ottawa really soon and I'm looking forward to discovering the city! :)

I tried to respond to your PM today but you have them (as well as e-mails) turned off....

meatless
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:40 PM
They were turned back on but are turned off again. :confused: