PDA

View Full Version : Nutritional yeast in Cheezy sauce

Eva
Aug 10th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Hey everybody, I am still fairly new to everything - but I have been experimenting with cooking for a while. I found this recipe in the Veganomicon cookbook for a cheezy sauce which turns out to actually be pretty good! My question is this:

It contains 2 cups vegetable broth, 1/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup nutritional yeast, 1 tbsp olive oil, minced garlic, turmeric, salt, pepper, thyme and mustard.

Is it bad to eat too much nutritional yeast? Does it have some weird side effects? I can see myself eating a lot of the cheezy sauce but I don't want to get sick. I am not familiar with nutritional yeast in that respect.

Does anybody know? Is there a limit for eating it?

THANK YOU!!

harpy
Aug 10th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hi Eva - I have never heard of any bad effects from ODing on nutritional yeast. (Some "alternative" therapies link eating yeast to candida infections but I'm not convinced myself.) There is the usual concern that eating a lot of any one food means you don't get as much variety in your diet but I would be surprised if you were going to eat THAT much sauce ;)

Eva
Aug 10th, 2011, 01:16 PM
OK, Thank you! yeah, I am not going to be adding it to every meal - but I just wanted to make sure if I use it sort of like fondue and dip dome bread and veggies in it for dinner - if that is OK. Seems like it would be. :-)

fondducoeur
Aug 10th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I've never experience bad effects from nutritional yeast, and I've been eating it for years. I consider nut'l yeast based sauces to be much more healthy than packaged vegan cheese (and cheaper!) that you buy, so I eat it pretty much guilt free.

athame
Oct 19th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I'm going to have to try that sauce :D