PDA

View Full Version : Vegan snacks

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Jane M
Feb 27th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I am always carry an emergency pack in my purse. It isn't very big but I have some nuts, dried fruit, and an energy bar. It isn't all that filling but it has gotten me by until I could get home to something good.

harpy
Feb 27th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Does Asda have one of those "Free from" sections for people with allergies, as some of the other supermarkets do? That can be a good place to look for vegan foods, though not sandwiches - it's more cereal bars and stuff like that. You still have to read the labels as they do have products containing eggs in those sections.

Otherwise I agree with the suggestions of fruit and nuts. Most places seem able to manage those :D

Lentil
Feb 27th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I think I'll have to put an emergency pack together :) I did have a look in the free from aisle but it all pretty much seemed to be gluten free rather than dairy/egg free.

We do usually grab sandwiches/pasties, etc. quite alot when we're out so I'll have to come up with something :confused:

PS: Daft Q but are chips from a fish and chip shop ok or is it all fried in animal fat?

twinkle
Feb 27th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Things like vegetable samosas and onion bahjis are usually vegan - in somewhere like Asda I'd probably get something of that kind in place of a sandwich.

You could also buy rolls and hummous (plus some pickles or olives or some other jarred thing, if you like) and make your own sandwich pretty easily.

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 27th, 2006, 08:00 PM
PS: Daft Q but are chips from a fish and chip shop ok or is it all fried in animal fat?
I can't speak for the UK but here, when ever I have looked 99% of the time the fryer is used for *everything* and there is no dedicated vegan-foods-only frier :( I do seem to remember many UK folk saying the same as well :(

twinkle
Feb 27th, 2006, 08:02 PM
I used to carry flapjacks around with me when I first went vegan in case of emergency - they'll fill you up, and you can usually get several different flavours to stop them getting too boring. They're pretty widely available too, you'd probably be able to find them in Asda.

twinkle
Feb 27th, 2006, 08:08 PM

I think it depends what area of the country you are in, and from shop to shop. Most of the fish and chip shops round here fry in vegetable oil, and the chip section is seperate from the fish one, but some shops may fry their battered sausages or what-have-you in there.

The only way to find out is to ask on a shop by shop basis.

Mr Flibble
Feb 27th, 2006, 08:10 PM
I can't speak for the UK but here, when ever I have looked 99% of the time the fryer is used for *everything* and there is no dedicated vegan-foods-only frier :( I do seem to remember many UK folk saying the same as well :(

Pretty much. I've watched them cook fish and chips seperately, then put the fish in with the chips for a few minutes at the end of cooking as the oil is hotter. If your lucky you may get vegetarian only oil, but it's still not vegan if it's had vegeburgers or deep fried mars bars in it. Most use palm oil these days instead of animal fat.

twinkle
Feb 27th, 2006, 08:21 PM
.. but it's still not vegan if it's had vegeburgers or deep fried mars bars in it...

Wasn't there a thread about this somewhere else? I maintain that if you're buying something where the intended ingredients (in this case potato and vegetable fat) are vegan, then you are not necessarily unvegan if there has been some small contact with non-vegan substances.

I consider it along the same lines as products that "may contain traces" - I'll happily eat Green and Blacks dark chocolate though I know it may contain traces of milk because I don't consider that my purchase is supporting the milk industry given that any microscopic inclusion of milk is inadvertant.

As far as I'm concerned this is a matter of individual choice.

Mr Flibble
Feb 27th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Absolutely, being vegan is about people's personal choices and everyone has their own unique threshold. However, in my view there's a significant difference between cooked in the same oil/using the same utensils and produced in the same atmosphere. 'May contain traces of' allergy notices should only be used as an indication of either airbourne particles or what it may contain if a mistake has been made in preparation (such as not cleaning chocolate moulds thoroughly enough between batches). They aren't an indication of what the product actually contains or is likely to other than in extreme circumstances. I'm happy to support companies who use the same factories provided they explain what they mean by their allergy notices, but not those who blatently use the same equipment without cleaning - the risk of cross contamination is unacceptably high.

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 27th, 2006, 09:03 PM
I'm happy to support companies who use the same factories provided they explain what they mean by their allergy notices, but not those who blatently use the same equipment without cleaning - the risk of cross contamination is unacceptably high. Yep! I say not to animal-borne pathogens! Also, the thought of eating food that has been boiled in oil alongside animals and animal products makes me want to vomit, so that's another reason I avoid it besides the inherent health, vegan and general esthetic reasons already mentioned.

Tiggerwoo
Feb 27th, 2006, 09:52 PM
If there's a Julian Greaves near anyone in the UK, not sure if they're anywhere abroad, they do a large selection of vegan snacks such as sweets and flapjacks..... some healthy.... some not so healthy, but they pride theirselves that they don't use hydrogenated oils. Anyway not everything is vegan, but quite alot, but everything is clearly marked with a RED V sign that is vegan, so its pretty vegan friendly. As I'm a big cinema goer, and I'm always very wary about what to buy, plus the price of stuff in cinemas, I often go in there to get my snacks before going to watch a film.

twinkle
Feb 27th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Funny you should mention that, Tiggerwoo - I was in a Julian Graves only today and discovered the red V for myself :)

I bought a box of turkish delight, a big bag of dry roasted peanuts for my friend and a bag of cinder toffee :)

Cumin
Feb 27th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Lentil,
In the last few months since turning vegan, I've been through a similar dilema. I usually work at home but I need to visit our company offices sometimes and I used to pop-out at lunch to get a veggie sandwich, or something like that.
Recently though, I found myself totally stuck, and was unable to find anything in any of my usually lunchtime haunts (tescos, M&S, Coffee Shops etc). I had to re-think my food-hunt and it was hard. Turning away from the pre-packed sandwiches and veering off down the fresh-fruit isle at lunchtime is not something I've done before, but I've amazed myself. It's amazing what apples, bananas and hob-nobs can do for you at lunch-time :D
I will confess however, to discovering that Sainsbury's do some vegan microwave curries in their chilled section. bad, bad, bad... (but hot on a cold day).

In general, my partner and I have also taken to keeping emergency food-bars with us when travelling. We got caught out with NO food on a couple of occasions.

Lentil
Feb 28th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Things like vegetable samosas and onion bahjis are usually vegan - in somewhere like Asda I'd probably get something of that kind in place of a sandwich

Excellent idea .. I was making some onion bhajis at home last night and realised that I should have looked at them in the shop - I'm a great one for hindsight :rolleyes:

I like the idea of a flapjack, and the fruit and nuts, too as they're sooo good for energy :) I guess it's just that thing of getting used to thinking in a different way to before. Hubby keeps joking about me taking a portable pot of hummus everywhere with me .. very helpful (not!) :p

I maintain that if you're buying something where the intended ingredients (in this case potato and vegetable fat) are vegan, then you are not necessarily unvegan if there has been some small contact with non-vegan substances

OMG, I hadn't even thought about all these things! :eek: Good point though ...

Monday
Feb 28th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Our Asda has prepackaged indian snacks with the ingredients listed and the onion bhajis, samosas, tomato packoras and potato cake things are all vegan - I find the last two a bit hot for my liking.

However I was very angry in Tesco as I asked at the delicatessen about their onion bhajis etc and whether they were vegan and the man behind the counter gave me this look and said he didn't know. I persevered and asked if he had an ingredients list and he said no. He asked the other staff who said - they've got pastry on so they won't be vegan. Hubby pointed out that not all pastry has animal products in. The man just said he didn't know and that a vegetables a vegetable innit?!

We approached customer services who said they do not have a list of ingredients and they gave us head offices number.

Head office basically said that they get their food from various suppliers who use different ingredients and all the onion bhajis for example get put out on display from one supplier but then as it gets low others are added from another supplier and no-one knows which are from who and so they can't tell us the ingredients!

I was so cross. Why can't they ask all the suppliers to make them to the same recipe?

Monday x

Lentil
Feb 28th, 2006, 08:59 AM
That's awful! I thought they had to have ingredients lists for everything these days - obviously not though. And as for the person behind the counter, people can be so rude! :mad:

sugarmouse
Feb 28th, 2006, 09:36 AM
as regards a pot of portable hummous it isnt all that of a mad idea!whenever i have been to asda or whatever i buy carrot sticks n a dip n eat them on the way home(if im gettin a lift obviously i would look silly walkin down the st with them!)i buy seeded vegan friendly bread aswell n eat that.the free from range at asda is pretty good although iam not sokeen on their mayonnaise alternative though-try it n let me know what u think!
asda make me laugh tho.apart from all the usual 'issues' ihave with supermarkets, theres the magazine they have...it cracks me up as on one page it ll have articles praising itself for healthy eating and fruit/veg etc, n on the next advertising its products full of cholestral/sugar/fat...alot of it aimed at kids.

lozza
Mar 1st, 2006, 02:27 PM
i had a weird dream about hummous soup lastnight!

i dont even think that would be nice!

Cumin
Mar 1st, 2006, 03:17 PM
i had a weird dream about hummous soup lastnight!

i dont even think that would be nice!

I nearly made that once, when I forgot to cook the chick peas first when making hummous. I had this BIG pot of hummous, but it was innedible so I thought I'd try and cook it as it was.

:mad: had to sling it in the end.. what a twit.

Aurora
Mar 1st, 2006, 04:08 PM
Hummus and carrot sticks
Pot of ready made salad
Fruit
Nuts
Seeds
Dates
Fruit smoothie
Olives
To name but a few

herbwormwood
Mar 1st, 2006, 05:46 PM
I take packed lunch (geordies aka this as "bait box) with me if I am going to be out over the time I would normally be hungry. Sandwiches, lots of fruit, nuts, leftover rice or pasta salad. Avocado is nice too if you cut it in half before you go out and take a teaspoon with you to eat it with. I keep fruit n nut bars etc in my bag for when I am stuck without warning. It is also a lot cheaper than trying to buy ready made vegan snacks or lunches.

Cherry
Mar 1st, 2006, 06:24 PM
What on earth does eveyone else do in these situations???

I've noticed that that doesn't happen to me much any more. After finding myself nearly fainting with hunger on more than a few occasions in the past I seem to have subconsciously learnt to plan when to go out. I have also learnt not to go to friends' houses without eating something first :(

If I do find myself stuck without food then I buy one of those small bottles of orange juice, a banana and a bag of crisps.

I was so cross. Why can't they ask all the suppliers to make them to the same recipe? Why don't they just use the same supplier!? Then they could label things and train their staff properly. :confused: It's annoying when they have no idea what they're selling! It's supposed to be their job.

sugarmouse
Mar 1st, 2006, 07:27 PM
im terrible for when i go shopping tho especially when i have gone with bobillydylan.i pack, and make sure all my easy edible stuff is in one bag, i sit in the front of the car with it, and eat my carrot sticks, hummous..avacado..olives..bread crusts....they sell vegan yogurt at asda aswel thats a good choice?!

lozza
Mar 1st, 2006, 07:40 PM
Avocado is nice too if you cut it in half before you go out and take a teaspoon with you to eat it with. .

hehe..that just reminds me of how, when i go to the cinema, i always take a yoghurt in with me and a spoon. people think i am mad, taking a yog & spoon out of my bag & just sitting there, eating it!

hehe!