PDA

View Full Version : Vegan snacks

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10

Cumin
May 31st, 2007, 01:41 PM
I'm so annoyed !:mad::mad::mad:
I've been discussing vegan sandwiches with Ginsters (who supply many UK roadside services and garages), and they told me they were launching a new hummous salad sandwich. Hooray ! But then I saw one in the shops.

It's got milk in it. (*sigh*)

I've written a very dissapointed email. It might help if more people did the same to karen.bessell@ginsters.co.uk andwich brand manager.
(auto-reply just told me she's on sick leave - I wonder why)

RachelJune
May 31st, 2007, 02:33 PM
I understand your annoyance, Cumin. Our office canteen has just started doing a homous & salad sandwich. I was so excited when I saw it and thought I might actually be able to eat something in there, only to find the same problem - milk. Why??!! :mad:

It really makes me despair. Not so long ago now I noticed they'd even managed to sneak milk into a jar of pickled onions. That one certainly did leave me scratching my head... :rolleyes:

BlackCats
May 31st, 2007, 03:30 PM
Oh God I have eaten houmous loads of times and not even read ingredients because I assumed it would be vegan, how annoying.

Cumin
May 31st, 2007, 03:37 PM
I think the milk may have been in the bread for the sandwich rather than the hummous Aphrodite. Most pre-packed hommous I've seen has been vegan (doesn't mean it all is), but very few hummous sandwiches.

BlackCats
May 31st, 2007, 03:53 PM
Oh cool.
I thought what type of sick freak would put milk in houmous (that spelling doesn't look right)
(I have gone off garlic lately anyway, I don't know if my taste buds have changed)

fiamma
May 31st, 2007, 04:33 PM
I'm the same with the garlic, Aprodite.

I was offered an ice-lolly thing (not ice-cream - it should just have been non-dairy based) by my bf's Dad the other night, and it had BUTTER in it!!!! :confused: (I read the ingredients list just to make sure). Weird!

auntierozzi
May 31st, 2007, 05:31 PM
Some of the hummous sold in Carrefour in France has 10% cream in it, so it is worth checking the ingredients if your trying a new brand. Homemade is the best and cheapest way but not always convenient I suppose.

Cumin
May 31st, 2007, 06:27 PM
yack! :eek::eek::eek:
Why would you want CREAM in your hummous?

emmapresley
May 31st, 2007, 06:36 PM
maybe they think it'd make it taste creamy. :confused:

that's what the tahini is for isn't it?

milk in pickled onions??..i'm not paranoid but i think it's some form of mind control :eek: they want to control us through milk

i vote for toast. non milky toast with yeast extract..or toasted pitta bread with hummous..

cobweb
May 31st, 2007, 07:04 PM
Crumpets with marg and yeast extract and a nice mug of Cocoa, mmmm :)

RachelJune
May 31st, 2007, 07:15 PM
Crumpets with marg and yeast extract and a nice mug of Cocoa, mmmm :)

Mmmmm... crumpets.... :D

Guacamole Gal
May 31st, 2007, 10:03 PM
Sweet?...Mild?!!

Why I've never heard such a thing in my life!!;) :p Tangy, I would've said...But, given that I do heap it on my toast, maybe I should try these others and see whether they're even stronger (they must be pretty full-on, these spreads?)

Another thing that's good on toast is peanut-butter with 'nanas, though I haven't had it in a long time. I don't do jam though, that is way too sweet for me:eek:

twinkle
May 31st, 2007, 10:37 PM
Ohh, that sounds nice. I'm only just having a peanut butter renaissance - used to eat a lot of it when I was 9 or younger then went right off it, but I've started adding a dollop to stews and having PB&J toast sandwiches with organic raspberry jam. And now I wish I had some bananas in the house... :rolleyes:

Guacamole Gal
May 31st, 2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah, i always had a very on-off, love-hate relationship with peanut butter..I've like it again for the last year or so, but the consistency always sticks in my throat and gives me indigestion or summat peculiar.:confused:

Hey, I got plenty o 'nanas, I'll sling one up you're way now: get ready to catch!! (or at least catch some nana-y telepathic vibes):p

Guacamole Gal
May 31st, 2007, 10:47 PM
oh, and you've reminded me twinkle - peanut butter and jelly(jam) sarnies rock..but jam solo is evil to me, too sweet!

Cumin
Jun 1st, 2007, 08:10 AM
Kallo rice cakes with Yeast extract have got my vote at the moment. Yummy!
They fulfill the 'marmite' craving, and fill me up .
Just to throw my preference into the pot - I buy Crazy Jacks organic yeast extract. V.nice, but comes in tiny tiny tiny jars :(

Ginger
Jun 1st, 2007, 08:53 AM
Toast, toast and more toast :D
The lazy persons snack :D

Cumin
Jun 21st, 2007, 04:48 PM
I'm so annoyed !:mad::mad::mad:
I've been discussing vegan sandwiches with Ginsters (who supply many UK roadside services and garages), and they told me they were launching a new hummous salad sandwich. Hooray ! But then I saw one in the shops.

It's got milk in it. (*sigh*)

I've written a very dissapointed email. It might help if more people did the same to karen.bessell@ginsters.co.uk andwich brand manager.
(auto-reply just told me she's on sick leave - I wonder why)

Good news!! Ginsters wrote to me today to say that they have decided to changed the recipe (remove butter) and make the hummous sandwiches vegan. They will be labelled on the back and should be on the shelves by the end of the summer.
Wahey!! :D:D:D
A small victory, but a useful one.:)

absentmindedfan
Jun 21st, 2007, 05:16 PM
*applauds Cumin*
Yay for small victories :)

BlackCats
Jun 21st, 2007, 05:20 PM
Well done Cumin :)

tipsy
Jun 23rd, 2007, 12:32 AM
ive been munching on organic dried blueberries sweetened with apple juice... i find them at the local healthy store bulk bins! yummmm!

Gorilla
Jul 4th, 2007, 01:46 PM
i bought some fruit-flavoured raisins (http://www.naturalbalancefoods.co.uk) at the Bristol Vegan Fayre and they're really nice, but i haven't seen them in any shops yet. has anyone else spotted them?

twinkle
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Only in a newsletter I got from an organic mail order company. I've been looking out for them around here.

Gorilla
Jul 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM
i haven't seen the banana bread bars anywhere yet either, i liked the free sample i had at the fayre. the small size bars are a good idea because i find the large ones too much in one go, but still can't find those in shops either. i haven't heard of Zest juice bars, who apparently sell these products.

Cumin
Aug 9th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Cock-up of the day from Walkers :eek::eek::eek:
New Vegan list here (http://walkers.corpex.com/cr15p5/diets.asp?dietcode=E)
specific item page here (http://walkers.corpex.com/cr15p5/packinfo.asp?snacktypeid=43&flavourid=72).

This came after I called walkers yesterday to ask why the " Lime & Thai Spices" sensations crisps were no longer on the vegan list on the website. They told me that they were still vegan (which I believe) and that they would get the website updated.
They've done this, and included them, but also some other OBVIOUS errors as per the above links.

sigh.. I've called them and explained how difficult it is to trust this sort of info from them when they make such stupid mistakes. :(

(*edit* it took them just 20mins to update their website and remove the errors. - Not bad!! *)