PDA

View Full Version : Vegan snacks

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

tricia
Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:07 PM
[From the 'Veganforum 1'-archive:]

M45 Posted: Apr 5 2004, 09:49 PM

Ok guys, I'm going crazy. Since switching to my diet I have been limmited to a very small food ritual. For the past 3 days ive been eating the same thing....

Bowl of Grape Nuts (Shreaded) With Blue Berries and Silk (of course)
Whole Grain Wheat Bread Toast with Peanut Butter
PBJ with Whole Grain Wheat Bread
An Orange or an Apple
Cereal Again

I need to eat something else before I go crazy...Can you guys tell me some common (good tasting) easy to find snacks?

Thanks

foxytina_69 Posted: Apr 5 2004, 11:35 PM

i was that way too when i first started! i always ate teh same thing. (actually i still do it lol. i go thru obsessions of food for a week and then switch to sumthing new)

snacks hmm? well i suggest...

dried fruits (mango and pineapple dried are yummy!) raisins, and any other kind.

smoothies! (any combination u like. a suggestion that can be altered: 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries, 1/2 banana, cup of ice and 1 1/2 cups of juice, such as organic juices or just plain orange juice, or even soymilk) smoothies are very nice, especially now that its getting hotter out and its easy to get in your fruits that way :)

fruit puree's? kindof like apple sauce. (blend strawberries and mango together and there u have a fruit sauce)

a snack mix is easy to make. (i see u like cereal!) but u could zest it up a bit by throwing sum cereal in a plastic bag, add sum pretzels, sum cheerios, and put in a bit of seasoning and shake up.

celery with peanut butter in the creviced part (my mom always used to have us eat that when we were little :D )

how about toast and jam? u could experiment with different kinds of jams.

pita bread dipped in hummus? (hummus is a sauce made of just chickpeas, garlic, lime or lemon juice and peanut oil all blended together)

salads. u could jazz them up. add sliced olives, mandarin orange bits, pineapple bits, apple bits, veggies sliced all different ways. (be creative! u can even make your own dressings. i like to make blueberry or raspberry dressing with just raspberries/blueberries blended up and then add a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil)

do u like baking at all? u could always look up recipes and make your own snacks! (i was thinking homemade baked bread pretzels!)

dark chocolate? (i like raspberry bits in mine!)

what about crackers with different sorts of things on them? u could try sliced tomatos and capers, olives, salsa...

what about different KINDS of peanut butter? if u have a healthfood store around u, u could always go check it out. they have several different kinds of peanut butters, like hazelnut, sesame, etc.

being vegan is all about being creative! u will notice the furthur u get into veganism the more u will find yourself cooking and experimenting.

M45 Posted: Apr 6 2004, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the help. Will have to make a list for things for mom (she works near a Trader Joes, and they more than likely have the stuff i'm looking for) to pick up some more items, because my no good local stores aren't helping.

foxytina_69 Posted: Apr 7 2004, 02:02 AM

:)

Mystic
Feb 14th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Between meals, I tend to snack on:
fresh fruit
dried fruit (particularly medjool dates, figs, apricots, apples and prunes)
mungbean and soybean chips
puffed corn
corn thins
rice cakes

assilembob
Feb 14th, 2005, 03:23 AM
POPCORN!!!!!
and lately lots of chocolate chips. Yay stress eating.
Normally crackers, fruit, corn chips and salsa and of course POPCORN!!!!! I lub my air popper (I have been wanting to say lub for love all day)

~Mel

foxytina_69
Feb 14th, 2005, 03:45 AM
i loooove to snack on popcorn w/ nutritional yeast, spices and hot sauce. mmmm. way better than butter smothered popcorn!

i also like trail mix, any kinds of peanuts, spicy dried pea mixture, and ofcourse brown rice chips, but i have those rarely. i dont really snack that often.

assilembob
Feb 14th, 2005, 03:47 AM
:) I just finished a bowl of popcorn with olive oil, sea salt and nutritional yeast on it.

LyricSarah
Feb 14th, 2005, 02:15 PM
:) I just finished a bowl of popcorn with olive oil, sea salt and nutritional yeast on it.

I'm jealous! that sounds yummy :D

Popcorn with nutritional yeast
prunes and medjool dates
tamari almonds
peanut butterrrrr or almonds butter (always mixed with something)

I don't ususally snack between meals....I usually have these after dinner...

Tigerlily
Feb 14th, 2005, 02:59 PM
I snack a lot.

Fruits (especially bananas)
Dry cereal
These fig bar cookies
Rice cookies
Chips (if we have them at home)

I don't like popcorn though. Haha, that probably sounds really weird.

Tofu Monster
Feb 14th, 2005, 05:04 PM
dried fruit (particularly medjool dates,

i didn't know you like them dates - strange you haven't mentioned it before! :D

(i'm so funny i could die laughing. would that be suicide?)

John
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Bread with nutritional yeast and flaxseed oil.
Dried calimyrna figs.
Dried dates stuffed with Brazil nuts.
Raw laver, an Atlantic coast sea vegetable.

PinkFluffyCloud
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Carrots dipped in Homous
Wholemeal toast with Yeast Extract and fresh sprouted Legumes
Bananas
Plain Crackers
(And I have finally given up snacking on sweet biscuits!)

John
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:19 PM
I used to eat those Uncle Eddie's cookies which are delicious, but I recently gave them up. Somehow, I lost my sweet tooth without trying.

snivelingchild
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Pita and hoummos
apples
usually if I feel like snacking, I drink water instead. It's a good way to remember.

feline01
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I used to eat those Uncle Eddie's cookies which are delicious, but I recently gave them up. Somehow, I lost my sweet tooth without trying.
Have you ever been to a bakery in Montclair, I think on Walnut St that sells vegan breads, cookies, crackers, and sandwiches? Very tasty stuff but I don't know if they are still around, haven't been there in a couple of years.

PinkFluffyCloud
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:23 PM

LUCKY, LUCKY YOU!!!!!! :rolleyes:

gertvegan
Feb 14th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I'm trying not to snack, trying to drink more fluids. Prunes, figs, raisins, sultanas, a handful of almonds, a couple of brazil nuts, or cashews do me. Saying that, i'm just about to scoff an allgoode organics organic pure food bar (thanks cc).

Mystic
Feb 14th, 2005, 10:17 PM
LOL - I just ate waaaaaaay too many figs - two handfuls - probably around 9 altogether :D - I guess I needed the calcium...

Vora
Feb 14th, 2005, 10:27 PM
For snack I like eating some dried fruits, fresh fruits, nuts, a piece of bread or crackers (rice/tapioca/sesame/etc...)
And of course I always drink a lot of tea ^^

acousticCORE123
Jun 28th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Have you ever been to a bakery in Montclair, I think on Walnut St that sells vegan breads, cookies, crackers, and sandwiches? Very tasty stuff but I don't know if they are still around, haven't been there in a couple of years.

Vegan sandwiches???? if someone finds out they are still open please do inform me

Wildflower
Jul 2nd, 2005, 03:20 AM
I snack a lot.
I don't like popcorn though. Haha, that probably sounds really weird.

I don't like popcorn and either does my partner!

My favorite snack, junk food wise, is chips and salsa. Or guacamole, chips and salsa with some olives on the side. I love guacamole.

Other good snacks are hummus with whole wheat pita bread and veggies (I like raw broccoli, red pepper peices and cucumbers). Olives (my favorite food). Potato Chips. Soy pepperonni slices. Soy nuts. Nuts in general. Raisons, dried fruits. Fruit/veggies in general. Itallian bread dipped in olive oil (you can mix salt/herbs in too). Smoothies made w/banana, vanilla soymilk, pb and some icecubes.

I always bring these things in the car for road trips:
Almonds, Trail mix, Luna Bars (http://www.lunabar.com), Soy Jerky (http://www.soybean.com/), Tings (http://www.robscape.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=27&Product_ID=129&CATID=1) (vegan cheetos), apples, grapes, soy yogurt, bottled water, jar of peanut butter and a loaf of whole wheat bread. And a carton of Silk Soycreamer (not as a snack, but just to have around :D )

I don't really snack between meals. I snack at night while cooking or on weekends sometimes we have snacky foods for dinner and watch a movie. When I have friends staying over, I usually make sure I have guacomole, salsa and chips around. I also bake a ton of vegan chocolate chip cookies (http://www.compassionatecooks.com/r/cookies.htm) and make vegan Banana Chocolate Chip muffins (http://www.compassionatecooks.com/r/ccmuffins.htm) for breakfast and then friends can snack throughout the day on them as well.

I find hummus w/veggies and pita is a good thing to bring to work as a snack.

tasha
Jul 2nd, 2005, 03:28 AM
Wildflower:

Does the silk soy creamer come in little closed cups like creamers in restuarants and do you need to keep it cold?

I'd love to find something to take on the road as my hubby likes milk in his coffee--I can drink mine with or without soymilk.

Wildflower
Jul 2nd, 2005, 05:39 AM
Wildflower:

Does the silk soy creamer come in little closed cups like creamers in restuarants and do you need to keep it cold?

I'd love to find something to take on the road as my hubby likes milk in his coffee--I can drink mine with or without soymilk.

No, unfortunately, it comes in a pint sized carton with a screw on lid like soymilk. (see picture here (http://www.whitewave.com/index.php?id=34)) And it has to be kept cold, I bring a cooler with.

What I have done in the past, is buy the individual "juice box" like soymilks for the road. They do not need refridgeration and are meant to be drank by 1 person. Sharing one would work well for 2 cups of coffee. It could probably last all day in the car opened if you couldn't drink it all. Not as rich as creamer though.

It is not liquid, but you can buy vegan instant creamer packets (http://store.foodfightgrocery.com/cocrpa.html) from FoodFight! online. They do have hydrogented oils in them though...

Yoggy
Jul 5th, 2005, 11:43 PM
2 cups large flake rolled oats (not instant or quick-cook: need 'old-fashioned')
1/2 cup medium flake coconut
1/4 cup shelled roasted sunflower seeds
1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots (or another dried fruit that you like)
1/2 light raisins (or another dried fruit)
1/2 cup Bran Flakes cereal, crushed
1/3 cup sugar, packed (use your favourite sugar: raw, maple, date, etc...)

1/4 cup vegetable oil (or other cooking oil)
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp almond or vanilla flavouring

Preheat oven to 300 F (150 C). Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, combine the cooking oil, water, and almond/vanilla flavouring. Pour over the granola mixture and stir well.

Spread in a 9x13 inch (22x33 cm) baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool in the pan. Makes 5 cups.

Lentil
Feb 27th, 2006, 03:23 PM
I've only just become properly vegan so still have lots of hurdles to work out how to cross ..

We went shopping today at Asda (hell on earth) and usually grab a sandwich or something to eat on the way home. I just assumed that they'd have some token vegan effort on sale there but there was absolutely nothing! I was quite horrified really because I'd reached that point where I really needed food, blood sugar level dropping, etc.

Basically, I came out with nothing :(

What on earth does eveyone else do in these situations???

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 27th, 2006, 03:37 PM
What on earth does eveyone else do in these situations??? I get low bloodsugar episodes too and so carry nuts/seeds/dried fruit with me as well as raw food bars etc. but when stuck, I buy nuts/seeds and juice or fruit, often the only edible things for vegans at non-health food stores.

Pob
Feb 27th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I sometimes do, too. At least there are plenty of places to buy vegan crisps in an emergency, sandwiches are a different matter, though :(

I think it's always a good idea to eat before shopping - helps to curb the temptation to buy too much unhealthy stuff, too.