PDA

View Full Version : Raw almonds and stomachache

Eva
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Hey guys,

Does anybody get a stomachache after eating raw almonds? I seem to get that reaction almost every time, more commonly on an emptier stomach. Do almonds go bad within some time frame? The ones I ate were stored in a container away from humidity etc. and were about 1 month old. Or is this something else?

Thank you!!

DiaShel
Aug 19th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Most almonds are not actually raw (at least in the US) even though they are marked that way. They go through a pasteurization process (by law- because of the very rare salmonella contamination) which actually takes out a lot of the nutrients. You can still get them from farmer's markets though, but I don't think they sell in stores.

Back to your question though, nuts have a strange effect on my stomach too. Nothing horrible but I just don't feel quite right after eating them. I would think that ones that aren't toasted would go bad though I don't know how long.

Firestorm
Aug 20th, 2011, 07:54 PM
Nuts (all) have a weird effect on my stomach. A few are fine, but more than 3 or 4 and I feel awful for days. My stomach feels like its full of grease. Unfortunately I love nuts so sometimes I just eat them and suffer. Other times I will just have 2-3 and be fine.

Risker
Aug 20th, 2011, 08:33 PM
I think some almonds contain cyanide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almonds

Gwydion
Aug 21st, 2011, 01:53 AM
I think some almonds contain cyanide

and happiness.

Risker
Aug 21st, 2011, 02:00 AM
and happiness.

No, they don't contain that, it's just a pleasant side effect if you eat enough of them.

Gwydion
Aug 21st, 2011, 08:00 AM
lol

whalespace
Aug 24th, 2011, 06:43 AM
and happiness.
:-)