PDA

View Full Version : UK Vegan Cider?

Pages : [1] 2

Name 5434
Aug 20th, 2011, 12:47 PM
hi - anyone have a list of cider suitable for UK vegans - used to drink "Weston's Vintage" but can't buy locally anymore - tried "Thatcher's Vintage & Gold" - they're ok but would like to try other - cheers.

Firestorm
Aug 20th, 2011, 01:04 PM
You could try this site: http://www.veggiewines.co.uk/popularbeers.htm#cider. Also its not listed on the site but Brothers ciders are all vegan and I can recommend the Toffee Apple flavour!

Gwydion
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:09 PM
There's a thread or two already covering vegan alcohol on this board, but I am too lazy to search for it.

Barnivore (http://www.barnivore.com/) includes ciders if you have anything particular in mind, and find it most uptodate.

harpy
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:10 PM
I don't know if you have Waitrose where you are but I believe some of their own-brand ciders are marked vegan (though I haven't checked very recently).

Gwydion
Aug 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM
^ Same as MS and Sainsburys. I think Saino's is rebranded Thatchers.

Heh, thatch.

Firestorm
Aug 20th, 2011, 07:06 PM
There's a thread or two already covering vegan alcohol on this board, but I am too lazy to search for it.

I had a quick look but its Saturday and gave up. M&S ciders often say that they are made by Westons on the back.

lastx
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:41 AM
Most of the traditional "scrumpies" are vegan as they are un-fined. The Animal Free Shopper has a list of vegan Alcohol - but as with most food products, the manufacturers seem to randomly change ingredients with no warning occasionally.

jackie
Aug 22nd, 2011, 01:43 AM
To my knowledge, scrumpy jack and strongbow are vegan

Sent from tapatalk via android

Risker
Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:45 AM
Strongbow is not vegan.

jackie
Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:29 PM
Strongbow is not vegan.

Apparently it is. Have a look at a thread on this forum called vegan alcohol.

Risker
Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:45 PM
^
No (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?28523-Mainstream-Ciders&p=687128&highlight=strongbow#post687128)
It's (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?105-Beer&p=488785&highlight=strongbow#post488785)
Not (http://www.barnivore.com/beer/81/Strongbow-UK?keyword=strongbow)

jackie
Aug 23rd, 2011, 01:18 AM
Google it. there's mixed opinion, but does seem ok. Anyone else wanna step in here? :)

Risker
Aug 23rd, 2011, 01:30 AM
The reason I put those words on separate lines is that they are all links, check them out.

Anything claiming that it is vegan is working from old information unless you have new info?

Firestorm
Aug 23rd, 2011, 06:51 AM
The Strongbow website itself lists it as not even being suitable for Vegetarians http://www.strongbow.com/Faq.aspx.

Stella Cidre is not Vegan either (even though Stella is).

jackie
Aug 23rd, 2011, 05:42 PM
Ok I stand corrected.can't open those links on my phone for some reason, will look when I get chance to get on the pc.thanks.

jackie
Aug 23rd, 2011, 05:43 PM
Have to add that I'm gutted and have drunk tons of the stuff as must pubs seemto sell it and it's handy when there's no vegan lagers available.

Simon
Sep 2nd, 2011, 01:20 PM
Have to add that I'm gutted and have drunk tons of the stuff as must pubs seemto sell it and it's handy when there's no vegan lagers available.

Yes it's a shame they don't have to label it when they change the ingredients. I had drunk it for ages as it used to be vegan and only realised a few months back it had changed. Not that it's nice cider, just easy to get. It's often hard to find a vegan cider in a pub now.

fatvegan
Sep 5th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I've seen Westons and Thatchers cider in more pubs recently. The full range of both are vegan according to Barnivore

AaronM
Oct 12th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I've seen Westons and Thatchers cider in more pubs recently.

I had amazing timing with this. Westons Organic started turning up everywhere just after I started with the whole vegan thing. While I'm too stubborn to have let it be a deal breaker, it was incredibly disappointing I couldn't have a nice cider when we went to so many pubs.

For anyone from the north-west, one thing they don't have listed on barnivore, which thankfully our local had in, Kingstone Press, is a nice enough medium dry cider which is vegan. It was so helpful having a vegan bar manager down our local. If you've no tastebuds, then their perry is too :p

Crusty Rat
Oct 13th, 2011, 08:41 PM
Apple juice
+ yeast
+ sugar
left for a month or so in a big ol' bucket
= cider.

:D

AaronM
Oct 15th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Just found out last night, for anyone else that drinks it frequently, Weston's parent company are taking control of their Organic cider, so its name is changing from Westons Organic to Wyld Wood Organic.

freaky
May 24th, 2012, 02:51 AM
Was just about to make a post about UK ciders so will just jump onto this one.
I am quite partial to a nice, cold glass of (veganable) cider :D I tend to buy Westons, Aspall, Co-op branded, Sainsbury branded, and occasionally Thatchers. Though Westons probably more than the others due to it becoming increasingly available in pubs.

For anyone from the north-west, one thing they don't have listed on barnivore, which thankfully our local had in, Kingstone Press, is a nice enough medium dry cider which is vegan. It was so helpful having a vegan bar manager down our local. If you've no tastebuds, then their perry is too :p

Great stuff, I had been wondering whether Kingstone Press was suitable for Vegans. What part of the north west are you in? Vegan bar manager probably means a good pub for vegans!? If so, let me know where it is, always need more Vegan-friendly pubs to visit!! Also, have you tried my current favourite: 'Red Rose Cider' http://www.lancasterbrewery.co.uk/more_info_extra.asp?current_id=133 it's lovely!

Anyway, basically what I wanted to know is does anyone know if Saxon Ciders are vegan? They seem to be a common cider in real ale pubs and festivals. I usually wouldn't drink until I found out the Vegan status but last week my partner bought me a pint of Saxon Strawberry Fields, hesitantly, I did drink it... and it was the best cider I have ever tasted! Been searching for information since and only managed to find a postal address and telephone number. It always shocks me when businesses don't appear to have an email address, especially since I don't really 'do' phones.

Last but not least, I used to think that Magners was Vegan but Bulmers wasn't, but since then the info on Veggie wines has changed and now only Magners pear cider is Vegan, this just confuses me, why is the pear cider vegan but the apple not, it seems rather stupid really.

Okies, happy cider guzzling! (disclaimer: in small amounts :p)

Freaky

finnjax
Jun 4th, 2012, 01:34 PM
Oh dear, I just started drinking Strongbow again cos I read that was ok. I hear Scrumpy Jack isn't ok either. It's nice when they label it isn't it.

I found out recently that Brothers and Merrydown are vegan(also says on their website) Westons is the Bestons though!

Coop & Asda had a nice friuty cider(two flavours) "Belgars" 750ml labelled vegan.
If you look on the Belgars own website it is half the price, so if you really like it, it might be worth the carriage price and buying in bulk.

Niccie
Jun 4th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Most pubs I go to, the few times I do go, have bottles of Weston's cider in bottles. I think all Westons is vegan?

The ones I buy from supermarket are all clearly labelled vegan -I love, love , love it when companies label their products!

sandra
Jun 5th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Weston's cider available in pubs?...........that's made me very happy! :)