PDA

View Full Version : Chia seeds Vs Flax seed

beachbum
Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:44 AM
I just started getting into Chia Seeds (thanks to this site) and now find myself taking both Chia seeds and Flax seed. Both provide a good source of Omega-3's but I'm wondering if I can just drop taking the flax seed altogether now that I'm eating the Chia seeds for Omega-3s. Just wondering what the general feeling of the group is...

Firestorm
Aug 23rd, 2011, 09:43 PM
I use flax at the moment because they are cheaper, but I think that Chia seeds are more beneficial. According to this (http://www.chiaseeds.us/chia-seeds-vs-flax-seeds.htm) site, flax seeds contain less calories but more fat (I think this is saturated fat) than chia, there is less dietary fibre in flax than chia, and chia contains 3 times the amount of calcium.
Also chia contains antioxidants, whereas flax doesn't.:-)

beachbum
Aug 24th, 2011, 08:05 AM
From everything I've read Chia is the clear winner. But I wonder if it isn't a matter of either or but maybe both. Flax is pretty cheap and so i Chia (in California) so I may keep up with both...

Firestorm
Aug 24th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Excellent idea. If the price in the UK comes down that's what I will do. Currently Chia costs about £4 for 100 grams in the UK, but you can get 4 times as much flax for the same price.