PDA

View Full Version : Costing The Earth-Radio4 today

Jiffy
Sep 8th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Did anyone else catch this today? In a nutshell it was about the soaring cost of meat and seeking alternatives. Apparently people who 'want protein' will be eating insects. At one point they interviewed a meal-worm farmer....who naturally feeds them on cereal crops which could be fed to humans. You couldn't make it up, talk about miss the point. Available on BBC iplayer, link below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0146104/Costing_the_Earth_Bug_Mac_and_Flies/

harpy
Sep 8th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Hello there Jiffy - long time no read! Hope you're well.

I didn't hear that but perhaps I will have a go of the iPlayer when I'm feeling strong. Sounds annoying.

leedsveg
Sep 8th, 2011, 06:24 PM
Hi Jiffy. About 25+ years ago, I seem to remember a suggestion in a news report that "we should be getting cheap protein from cultivated worms". This led to the song "Come to terms with worms" sung by Instant Sunshine, featuring in a Radio 4 programme called Stop the Week. I do believe that I still have the the LP (vynil record) containing this track, somewhere in the house.

LV

Jiffy
Sep 8th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Hello there Jiffy - long time no read! Hope you're well.

I didn't hear that but perhaps I will have a go of the iPlayer when I'm feeling strong. Sounds annoying.

Hi Harpy, thank you for your kind words, I haven't posted much in awhile, no particular reason probably just busy and that.

I have a third grandchild now as well, got a pink one this time. And yes, it is annoying.

harpy
Sep 8th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Congratters on the extra grandchild. I don't think you should allow it to be colour-coded though. Stripes are good. ;)

whalespace
Sep 8th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hi Jiffy. About 25+ years ago, I seem to remember a suggestion in a news report that "we should be getting cheap protein from cultivated worms". This led to the song "Come to terms with worms" sung by Instant Sunshine, featuring in a Radio 4 programme called Stop the Week. I do believe that I still have the the LP (vynil record) containing this track, somewhere in the house.

LV

:cool:

Andy_T
Sep 9th, 2011, 01:10 PM
At one point they interviewed a meal-worm farmer....who naturally feeds them on cereal crops which could be fed to humans. You couldn't make it up, talk about miss the point.

Indeed!

Who wouldn't want to feast on tasty meal-worms instead of having to eat (*gasp*) vegetables?

Makes you wonder quite a bit about omnivores...

Best regards,
Andy

leedsveg
Sep 9th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Who wouldn't want to feast on tasty meal-worms instead of having to eat (*gasp*) vegetables?

Don't think Martin Luther thought much of the Diet of Worms. (Oy, my history lessons in the early 60s are all flooding back to me...:rollseyes_ani:)

Leedsveg