PDA

View Full Version : UK vegan wheat-free alternatives to Quorn chicken pieces?!

cai
Sep 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM
So I've gone vegan, but can't really eat wheat for health reasons. While I was just veggie, my diet was very Quorn-heavy, particularly the frozen chicken pieces. It seems I can replace the frozen mince with the ASDA equivalent, which *appears* to be vegan (though I've sent off an email to confirm) but I've yet to find any substitute for the chicken pieces. I've been using tofu for the time being but something a bit closer in texture and, more importantly, nutrition would be excellent. Any ideas?

Firestorm
Sep 12th, 2011, 07:20 PM
You could try Tempeh, it has about twice the calories of Tofu and is a bit more "Meaty".

cai
Sep 12th, 2011, 08:12 PM
Sounds good! Will have a look around for it. I always get it confused with the wheat-gluten-based one...
Any other ideas anybody?

harpy
Sep 13th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Have you tried the canned tofu that they sell in H&B? To me it has a meatier texture than "normal" tofu - don't know that it's much like chicken though.

Firestorm
Sep 13th, 2011, 11:06 AM
^^ Is that the Marigold one? I think it taste like Chicken skin:p

harpy
Sep 13th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Yuck! I hadn't thought of it that way.

Yes, I think it's made by Marigold. I don't buy it very often but it's useful to have in the cupboard for emergencies (yes, the kind that call for ersatz chicken skin if you insist). And the texture is kind of interesting.

Firestorm
Sep 13th, 2011, 06:15 PM
:oDon't get me wrong - I don't think it tastes bad (from what I remember - I only tried it once - I quite liked it) but when I first ate it I thought "Chicken Skin". I will buy it again (although saying that I am starting to move away from "Meat" like products at the moment for some reason). By the way what is "ersatz"?:o

cedarblue37
Sep 16th, 2011, 08:22 AM
ersatz = used instead of something else, alternative etc.....

i think that tinned tofu is vile - slippery and squeaky...sorry:eek:

....and too much gravy...

Firestorm
Sep 16th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Oh that makes sense now.:o

With Regards to the the OP there is also Granovita Nut Luncheon (http://www.granovita.co.uk/product-categories/savouries/granovita-nut-luncheon/). I can't vouch for how it tastes, but you can get it in H&B.

harpy
Sep 16th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Sorry, missed your question Firestorm.

Don't you like slippery and squeaky then cedar? No pleasing some people ;) I tend to drain and rinse it before using as it's a bit salty otherwise. I've had the "nut luncheon" and thought it was pretty 'orrible but in the right sauce it might be nice.

Firestorm
Sep 16th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I'll keep away from the Nut Luncheon then!

cai
Oct 6th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I dunno about that nut luncheon stuff, looks a bit terrifyingly high in fat to me...!

Marrers
Oct 6th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I really like the marigold tinned tofu, completely different texture to plain, smoked or marinated tofu. Some supermarkets also stock it.
I hear you can get another different texture if you freeze and defrost it.

veganosie
Oct 6th, 2011, 08:36 PM
i'd probably just try freezing tofu, it goes a lot chewier and meatier after being frozen.

Blueberries
Dec 17th, 2011, 11:46 AM
With Regards to the the OP there is also Granovita Nut Luncheon. I can't vouch for how it tastes, but you can get it in H&B.

I've had the "nut luncheon" and thought it was pretty 'orrible but in the right sauce it might be nice.

I'll keep away from the Nut Luncheon then!

I dunno about that nut luncheon stuff, looks a bit terrifyingly high in fat to me...!

I like nut luncheon, it does look a bit odd but it tastes really nice breaded and fried! It probably is quite high in fat but its also high in protein and wheat/soya-free, a nice alternative to seitan or tofu.

Mymblesdaughter
Dec 17th, 2011, 12:50 PM
How about the redwood chicken pieces as an alternative to quorn. I had them once and thought they were OK. I just don't eat many meat replacement type products so am not the best judge of that sort of thing.

http://www.redwoodfoods.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images2.tpl&product_id=32&category_id=16&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54