PDA

View Full Version : Vegan New York

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

bryzee86
Nov 19th, 2007, 12:33 AM
The deposit is a 'reservation fee' which you owe to nyhabitat - it is part of what you owe overall, you have to pay that part upfront to them but it comes off the bill. The $1,000 is irritating because you have to have that much tied up in a travellers cheque which you then only get back when you are leaving so cannot spend!

Why have you picked Harlem? This website may be useful to you, it shows the restaurants on the map. http://www.supervegan.com/find.php?by=region
This looks like where you are looking at on the map but look up the surrounding areas too. http://www.supervegan.com/results.php?rq=52

When I first went to NY I stayed in a hotel opposite St Patrick's Cathedral (Madison Ave & E50th Street) and found I spent all my time travelling down to the more vibrant parts of town (Lower East Side & Greenwich Village).

ETA You might find more places become available nearer the time - if I was you I'd email nyhabitat to ask them when is the best time to look for Easter places.

the only reason we have picked the Harlem one is because of the price! it was th only one in budget. I would prefer to be in the lower east side/greenwich village/soho areas, but it's out of my budget. I've enquired at apartments2book who have listings on w.49th st, so that'd be better than the Harlem one. I think these are the apartments: www.radiocityapts.com .
They're much better in that no deposit is required and no $1000 we can't afford to be without! It's about the same price (though the accomodation is not quite as nice) and in a better area, so if they have that available, we'll plump for that.

animaladvocate
Nov 19th, 2007, 12:50 AM
the only reason we have picked the Harlem one is because of the price! it was th only one in budget. I would prefer to be in the lower east side/greenwich village/soho areas, but it's out of my budget. I've enquired at apartments2book who have listings on w.49th st, so that'd be better than the Harlem one. I think these are the apartments: www.radiocityapts.com (http://www.radiocityapts.com) .
They're much better in that no deposit is required and no $1000 we can't afford to be without! It's about the same price (though the accomodation is not quite as nice) and in a better area, so if they have that available, we'll plump for that.
http://www.jazzhostels.com/jazzonthetown.html

bryzee86
Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:16 AM
http://www.apartments2book.com/newyork4.htm

we went for this place in the end. great location, great price (about £40 each), and we cover 90% on arrival. After a google it appears it is the best western hospitality house, which looks like a bonny place. All in all, we're geared up for a mighty holiday!

Marrers
Nov 22nd, 2007, 01:21 AM
Because of difficulty getting flights we are arriving late on the day before we get the apartment so have to find a hotel for the night. I'm mightily annoyed!

animaladvocate
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
Marrers, do you know of any NYC-based vegan/veggie/animal rights magazines that might have listings for vegan-friendly accomodation similar to the vegan guesthouses advertised in similar UK publications?

Marrers
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
No I don't, never noticed any magazines but I wasn't really looking either. If I see any while I'm there I'll have a look.

You could also try asking on some other veggie and vegan forums as we don't seem to get all that much advice from locals on here. I think other boards are more helpful for NY questions.

animaladvocate
Nov 22nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
No I don't, never noticed any magazines but I wasn't really looking either. If I see any while I'm there I'll have a look.

You could also try asking on some other veggie and vegan forums as we don't seem to get all that much advice from locals on here. I think other boards are more helpful for NY questions.
Cheers.

bryzee86
Nov 22nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
Right, so, Marrers. I'm getting all excited and planning stuff on tripadvisor already. As we're there for 7 nights, we need plenty of food. So, what I want to know is: What are your *musts* for NYC vegan eats? I know I want to go to the Dosa Man in Washington Sq, and that I want to go to TeaNY and Babycakes.
What would you suggest I don't miss?

Marrers
Nov 23rd, 2007, 02:58 AM
I'l be able to say more when I get back from this trip as there are new places to try and things may have changed at my fave haunts. But I know you are all excited and wanting to plot, plan and salivate so I'll tell you what I think, but also do some research online and see what others are saying, which food is especially good and which dishes to avoid in each restaurant etc.

Cafe Atlas for cakes is an absolute must. You've never seen anything like it! Last time I brought back about 8 slices of cake to share with my friend here!

I really love Red Bamboo and Gobo. Candle 79 is lovely and very chic and romantic, I'm definitely going back there too. Pure Food and Wine was classy, a great raw food place with option of drinking (a lot of raw places don't serve alcohol). They also have a take away area round the corner.

I also liked Counter and Curlys. I think it is good to travel out to other areas too to experience the different character and atmosphere - and the vegan food they have to offer (but check out the reviews if it is the main purpose of your trip to that area). I'd quite like to try Foodswings this time.
Staff in Moo Shoes can sometimes advise on what is new and what is good (they told us about Pure Food & Wine which had only just opened so wasn't in any guides).

I was not too impressed with Angelica's normal menu but often the special was good. I really didn't care much for Candle Cafe either - can't remember the food but I didn't like the feel of the place. TeaNY is good for nice hot drinks and cakes more than savouries I'd say. I suppose you have to see for yourself as these are flagship places that everyone raves about.

I thought Babycakes was horrid, the cupcakes and the frosting (but I really enjoyed visiting the Tenement Museum near there if you are interested in history and how folk used to live). And I wouldn't bother going back to Whole Earth Bakery (though I think it may have closed down now anyway).

If you are interested in raw / live food Highvibe has some wonderful snacks (live almonds coated in different flavours and Mac'n'cheeze biscuits). I reckon I could be raw if we had access to stuff like that! A bit pricey though.

And don't forget to stock up on dark chocolate Goldenbergs Peanut Chews (vegan snickers-like bars). Veganstore haven't had them in ages and may not get them again. And Wholefoods is well worth a look for vegan bakery items (they now stock Sweet and Sara stuff like Smores) and look there and at all health food shops for the fab ranges of ice cream, there are quite a few different brands!

Talking of health food shops check out Lifethymes and Intergral Yoga if you get the chance. As well as all the stuff you'd expect they also have hot and cold savoury food as well as cake counters.
You might want to minimise the toiletries you bring because you can get stuff you don't see here like Kiss My Face, or stuff which costs a lot more here like Jasons.

Not sure what the exchange rate is going to do but it might be worth starting to buy dollars or travellers cheques now too.

That's about all I can think of for now! Hope it helps. :)

bryzee86
Nov 23rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
blimey that's a lot, Marrers!

Yeah I'm looking forward to buying stuff that we can't get over here - I just hope I can manage to a) eat all the perishable stuff and b) have enough room in the cases for the rest!

Don't say you don't like Babycakes! We're really looking forward to going to that place after hearing so much about it. We'll be going anyway and sampling probably everything there!

Yeah I'd like to go to Red Bamboo, but Gobo and Pure seem a bit too expensive for our budget. Candle looks a bit pricey, but we'll go there for Jo's birthday dinner as a nice treat. MooShoes looks good as well. I hope I have enough money!

I've been making an "NYC shopping list" for things we can't get over here. So far it includes the "Soy Delicious" ice creams, Vegenaise; tofurky; temptation soy ice cream; susanne's ricemellow cremes and other stuff (including all those things you just told me!). I'm so looking forward to it.

About the exchange rate - apparently china will be selling off their US$ stocks, so the rate is likely to go down as they own up to 30% of the available $ reserves. Probably best to hold out until before we go, or until the dollar takes a nosedive at the earliest. It's unlikely to get much better for the dollar until Bush is out, to be honest.

This trip is gonna be soooo good.

KrissStress
Nov 24th, 2007, 03:40 AM
We'll be in NYC to play a couple of shows in the next few days - where are some great places to find really filling Asian food at a decent price?

We went to Zen Palate a couple of years ago and while the food was great, I didn't feel like it justified the bill.

rantipole
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:19 PM
My boyfriend and my anniversary at Blossom was fantastic! The meal was really great and the atmosphere is very nice. The bathrooms are really cute. I'll rate the things we ordered on a 1-5 scale, with 5 being best:

Spinach and Pine Nut Ravioli appetizer: 5. This was just to die for.
Stuffed Portabello Mushroom entree: 5. I could've eaten a whole plate of the walnut and tofu stuffing by itself.
Seitan Scallopini entree: 3. This was yummy and well-prepared, but it didn't rise above the level of good.
Apple Cinnamon Sticks: 4. If you love apples, this is the dessert for you.
Chocolate Ganache: 5. Most intense chocolate experience I've ever had. Probably best shared by two people.

So, I highly recommend Blossom for a nice, romantic dinner.

Cheers,
rant

bryzee86
Nov 26th, 2007, 08:27 PM
must start saving my pennies now if i'm going to be able to afford our birthday dinner at blossom!

John
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I know I want to go to the Dosa Man in Washington Sq

That's so cool that you know about him over there. He won the Vendy award out of all New York City.

He takes his time making them--which is a good thing.

My main complaints about Indian food are that it can be too oily, have a mushy texture, and hit you over the head with spices to cover up bland ingredients. His Dosas are the exact opposite: Light and fluffy crepe; flavorful filling; and just the right amount of spicy for my taste when I ask for "medium".

Marrers
Nov 28th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Is he there every day? I bet my guide book info is well out of date! My apt is near Washington Square.

KrissStress
Nov 29th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Check out Red Bamboo in Manhatten. Absolutely amazing!

The buffalo wings were brilliant and the chicken parmesan hero was better then any 'real' one I'd ever had in my entire life. And let me tell you my friends, you haven't lived until you've tried their chocolate cheesecake and butter pecan shake...

good grief :)

John
Nov 30th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Is he there every day? I bet my guide book info is well out of date! My apt is near Washington Square.

I don't know what his schedule is . . . and that's a nice place to have an apartment.

Check out Red Bamboo in Manhatten. Absolutely amazing!

The buffalo wings were brilliant and the chicken parmesan hero was better then any 'real' one I'd ever had in my entire life. And let me tell you my friends, you haven't lived until you've tried their chocolate cheesecake and butter pecan shake...

good grief :)

That's funny 'cause I always find myself there getting just that; the buffalo "wings" (really drumsticks) and the chicken parmesan hero. And the hero tastes even better (to me) reheated the next day.

Last time I got those "to go" and sat in the park eating my "wings" and enjoying a beautiful evening. A man walked up to me and asked me for food. I said, "sure, but I have to tell you that it's not really meat." He got all disappointed and I said, "you don't have to take it; and you never know, you might like it." He said, "that's what I'm afraid of," and started eating. He admitted it wasn't bad.

animaladvocate
Nov 30th, 2007, 10:51 AM
OMG!
I have just read the menu at the following linky and would gladly sell my soul to be able to dine there!
http://www.redbamboo-nyc.com/menu.html

Marrers
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:54 PM
We have secured the apartment we wanted for our trip next month. It is right around the corner from Red Bamboo so I'm delighted! :D
:p

KrissStress
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I don't know what his schedule is . . . and that's a nice place to have an apartment.

That's funny 'cause I always find myself there getting just that; the buffalo "wings" (really drumsticks) and the chicken parmesan hero. And the hero tastes even better (to me) reheated the next day.

Last time I got those "to go" and sat in the park eating my "wings" and enjoying a beautiful evening. A man walked up to me and asked me for food. I said, "sure, but I have to tell you that it's not really meat." He got all disappointed and I said, "you don't have to take it; and you never know, you might like it." He said, "that's what I'm afraid of," and started eating. He admitted it wasn't bad.

I could barely finish the chicken parmesan. It was nearly a foot long. Do you have any other favourites there? I ended up getting the hero because the waitress was right there and I was out of time to order - there's just way too much to choose from.

John
Dec 17th, 2007, 03:38 AM
^
I think I remember enjoying the "codfish" cakes with mango salsa. I can't seem to find vegan fake fish outside of restaurants.

Marrers
Dec 17th, 2007, 10:00 AM
We have vegan fishless fingers, fishless steaks and scampi pieces in the UK (all made by the same company) but not quite like Red Bamboo.

I'm staying a night at The Chelsea before we go to our apartment! :)

rantipole
Dec 18th, 2007, 07:02 PM
We have vegan fishless fingers, fishless steaks and scampi pieces in the UK (all made by the same company) but not quite like Red Bamboo.

I'm staying a night at The Chelsea before we go to our apartment! :)

As in THE Chelsea Hotel? Hang-out of Allen Ginsberg, Leonard Cohen, Arthur C. Clarke, and others?

I stayed there one night and, aside from the atmosphere and history, was not impressed. It was musty and my allergies went nuts. The radiator clanged all night and we couldn't get the temperature adjusted--we froze or boiled with no happy medium. The bed and pillows were really uncomfortable. Last, it's on a busy street and the street noise was really loud. I was really disappointed by the experience. I hate to bust your bubble, Marrers.

Cheers,
rant

Marrers
Dec 18th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Don't worry rant - I know! I have read some truly horrendous reviews on Tripadvisor so know it could be awful but I reckon for just one night (to flop down after a flight) we can cope.
I've always wanted to stay there and now the management ethos has changed I think it is the last chance to see something of how it used to be - if it hasn't already changed too much.

rantipole
Dec 19th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Well as long as you are prepared, you should be fine. I wasnt' aware of the management change. What's the scoop?

Cheers,
rant