PDA

View Full Version : Vegan New York

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

aplusjimages
Aug 15th, 2004, 11:53 PM
Any suggestions on great vegan places to eat at in Manhattan. We will be in mid-Manhattan mid Sept. Also any great places to pick up some great take home food that we can take back to the hotel later that wouldn't involve microwaves or cooking. Thank you and peace.

John
Aug 16th, 2004, 01:11 AM
There are so many places to eat in Manhattan I don't know where to start...
Temple In The Village on 74 West 3rd Street right by Washington Square Park is one option for the hotel room. It's a Chinese buffet and the food is sold by weight. One book that I picked up at Mooshoes is The Vegan Guide to New York City. It's available at Amazon and it's got over 100--yes one hundred restaurants in it.

Have fun! :D

gertvegan
Sep 13th, 2004, 10:29 AM
The New York City Vegan Guide to the Lower East Side. Click. (http://goinside.com/99/6/nycvegan.html)

warheart77
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks much :)

gertvegan
Oct 16th, 2004, 09:35 PM
New York City for vegetarians and vegans on a budget, HERE. (http://members.tripod.com/~coolhunter/nycvegguide.html)

Feb 15th, 2005, 05:24 AM
My family and I are going to New York City for a week, and I was wondering if there were any new yorkers around who would have some suggestions for some great restaurants that we could go to. I've heard of a few that I'd like to go to (Quintessence..any good?) but other than that I dont know too much.
Thanks

PinkFluffyCloud
Feb 15th, 2005, 06:47 AM
PM Felin01!!!
She's always telling me about these lovely Vegan eating places in NYC.

cedarblue
Feb 15th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Apparently 'Teany', Moby's restaurant isnt strictly veggie or vegan - how disappointing :(

feline01
Feb 15th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Apparently 'Teany', Moby's restaurant isnt strictly veggie or vegan - how disappointing :(
And it's full of pretentious gits but there is a great vegan shoe store around the corner :D

powder
Feb 15th, 2005, 07:28 PM
MooShoes rules. (Allen Street)

Restaurants: Red Bamboo, Kate's Joint, VP2, Zen Palate

feline01
Feb 15th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Red Bamboo's soul chicken, yummm. Kate's ceasar salad and chicken fried tofu, yumm. I prefer Veggie Dim Sum to VP2 and never liked Zen Palate. Candle Cafe's anything. Gobo's anything.

Feb 16th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. How are the prices at the vegan shoe store? Is it called Mooshoes? I'd really like to get a pair of vegan shoes while I'm there

feline01
Feb 16th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Check out their website, www.mooshoes.com for prices. The prices are the same online or in the store, just no shipping of course! I paid $70 for my Vegetarian Shoes loafers the last time I was there.

DianeVegan
Jul 10th, 2005, 01:11 PM
We just had another wonderful meal at Candle 79 (http://www.candlecafe.com) last week. If you can go, then do it. Everything is organic, in season and vegan. All of the wines are vegan and organic. And the food is really good this time of year when so much is in season. Need another reason? They just started making their own ice cream/sorbet and it is fabulous. It may be more upscale and pricey than some other vegan restaurants, but go if you can.

Okay, I really like the place. :)

VeganJohn
Jul 10th, 2005, 03:27 PM
The place looks fantastic from the website! Glad you had a good meal there. I hope to visit New York next year and it will be on my list of places to eat at. I purchased a 'Vegan guide to New York' last year and there are some great looking restaurants.

I might even order their cookbook, I do like it when restaurants have their own recipes for sale :)

DianeVegan
Jul 11th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Hi John!

I have their cookbook and some of the recipes are great, some just okay. If you want to preview any of them just let me know and I'll scan and send to you.

Roxy
Jul 12th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Mmmmm - their menu looks so good!

We were looking at New York as a possible vacation destination for next year. What is the best time to visit the city?

Is New York an expensive city? It looks like we can get a flight and hotel accommodation for $3500-$4000 for 2 people.

If it's going to be too expensive, we'll skip it and look for another, less-expensive destination.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated :)

DianeVegan
Jul 13th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Roxy, New York can be as expensive as you want but it can also be done on a budget. There are many guide books that can direct you much better than I. (Actually, Gertvegan put in a link above.) Once you have a place to stay, the city is full of public transportation and relatively inexpensive restaurants. I would visit in the spring or autumn, the summer can get malodorous during hot, humid days when the garbage hasn't been collected.

When you get closer to your trip, let me know and I can send you some information about places to eat. And thanks for the help with Vancouver. ;)

Roxy
Jul 13th, 2005, 07:02 PM
You're welcome :) and thanks for the tips!

Since our trip to Australia, I am getting itchy feet again lol and have already started to look into where to go for next year's vacation.

We want to go back to Australia in 2007, so we are trying to keep next year's vacation as inexpensive as we can with doing one of those "all inclusive resort" style trips. Ugh!

DianeVegan
Dec 8th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Last night we had dinner at Pure Food and Wine (http://www.purefoodandwine.com). It's the uber-restaurant of raw foods. It was fantastic, just unbelievably good. And I got a tour of the kitchen (they're very nice that way). They also have a cookbook so I have a new addition to my library. It was expensive but worth every penny - we went for an anniversary. We'll go back soon I hope. If you are in New York - Go to this restaurant!

maya
Dec 8th, 2005, 03:20 PM
You guys have to try this place called Sacred Chow. It a great vegan restaurant. They have the best soups and pizzas. I was in Manhattan 2 years ago in December. We stayed at the Essex House across from Central Park. I froze my arse, but was happy to run into this place with hot yummy soup. They also have really good desserts. I also ate at a really good indian restaurant but I cant remeber the name.

John
Dec 9th, 2005, 03:30 AM
I passed by Sacred Chow once and the place was empty. I was afraid that they had gone out of business but it turns out that they just moved locations.:)

SarahM
Dec 12th, 2005, 02:50 AM
My omni fiance bought me The Vegan Guide to New York City from the author at the farmer's market in Union Square :) Mine's autographed AND has a chocolate fingerprint from his vegan chocolate bar - hehe!

Anyway, I moved to B'lyn 4 months ago and am finally working my way to the various vegan places. Something about Foodswings' no-chicken parm weirded me out - I don't know if it was the soy cheese or what. I got a milkshake though and it ROCKED. I was at Tiengarden and was poor, but got some good skewered stuff w/ peanutty sauce and it was way good.

The 3 employees at MooShoes ignored me when I went in - although they were busy ignoring the other 2 shoppers there as well. I was very sad :(

DianeVegan
Dec 12th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Sarah, that's horrible about MooShoes! We were just there last week and I will admit we had to ask for help in order to get it. I don't know if it's just their way of not being pushy or if the people are not very experienced.

That guide is a great little book. I would not have found many places without it. Hope you like living in Brooklyn.

rantipole
Dec 13th, 2005, 09:05 PM
A cool and inexpensive place to eat is House of Vegetarian in Chinatown. It has great food, although the atmosphere is a little lacking. Still, the asparagus and brown mushrooms, the hot and sour soup, and the beef and broccoli are out of this world. To my knowledge, everything is vegan, but I've not inquired about every menu item.

I wish I could remember the address. It is either on Canal Street or just off Canal Street.

Cheers,
rant