PDA

View Full Version : Oamc

Mystic
Feb 16th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Stands for once a month cooking...basically this means that once a month you cook up a batch of stuff and freeze it, so you have heat and eat meals that are healthy. This seems like a great option for me as I am starting uni in a week and a half and I don't want to end up living on baked beans and pasta. Does anyone else eat their own frozen food and does it taste ok? I have never done it before. Any recipes for stuff that freezes well (and is cheap) would be greatly appreciated. I have so far got frozen lentil soup and frozen butterbean and herb cream soup (I am stocking up LOL :) )

Tigerlily
Feb 16th, 2005, 12:52 PM
I never freeze my food. But then again I'm spoiled and I live at home with a stay-at-home mom who cooks for me most of the time.

:p

Gorilla
Feb 16th, 2005, 12:59 PM
dhal freezes well, Banana, i know you like your dhal :)

veg chilli works well, most soups are fine, pasta sauces, those are the sort of things i usually freeze.

Tigerlily
Feb 16th, 2005, 02:33 PM
What sort of containers do you freeze yours in?

Mystic
Feb 16th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Could I cook rice with the dhal and freeze that too - like a microwave meal?

Tigerlily - to freeze stuff you need airtight containers

MzNatural
Feb 18th, 2005, 04:10 PM
I did this during my final month of pregnancy. I made a lot of foods so I would have a few months of heat/serve meals after my daughter was born. They weren’t as good as freshly readily prepared meals but definitely more delicious than the prepared meals you purchase in the store. ;)

PinkFluffyCloud
Feb 18th, 2005, 04:16 PM
Could I cook rice with the dhal and freeze that too - like a microwave meal?

Tigerlily - to freeze stuff you need airtight containers

Yes, you can freeze Rice, but do make sure it's thoroughly heated when you want it.

foxytina_69
Feb 18th, 2005, 05:03 PM
I did this during my final month of pregnancy. I made a lot of foods so I would have a few months of heat/serve meals after my daughter was born. They weren’t as good as freshly readily prepared meals but definitely more delicious than the prepared meals you purchase in the store. ;)

what foods did you make and freeze mznatural? :)

MzNatural
Feb 18th, 2005, 05:40 PM
what foods did you make and freeze mznatural? :)
I made lasagna, bean soups, home made pizza dough, pizza sauce, breads, spaghetti sauce (only had to cook the noodles), vegetable curries (I only had to add rice for that dish), veggie burgers, etc. That was part of my nesting frenzy’. It hit a few times during pregnancy. :) I should have waited and prepared the pasta for the lasagna. It still was good but I still prefer it fresh. Family/friends ate a lot of the meals since I ended up making meals after a few weeks. I used a vacuum sealer for the foods, wrapped bowls/food in parchment paper and used the vacuum sealer. It definitely seemed to keep the foods fresher.

I plan on doing a few weeks worth of cooking this weekend since I have a few busy weeks ahead and I might not have the time to prepare too much.