PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Milk Shake and Smoothie

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Ayla
Feb 14th, 2005, 01:44 AM
Just wanted to share this wonderfully good smoothie. :)

6 oz. container orange soy yogurt
1 cut frozen cubed cantaloupe (about 7 1-inch cubes)
1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
1/4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
2 tsp. grated orange peel

Place everything in blender and blend till smooth. Enjoy!

foxytina_69
Feb 16th, 2005, 10:26 PM
what are your favorite smoothies?

mine is strawberries, peaches, orange juice and ice.

scorpy
Feb 16th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Oh, anything vegetarian that tastes good ;)

Mystic
Feb 17th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Tina that sounds good...mmmmmmmmm

A couple of times I made smoothies from a banana, blueberries and cherry juice concentrate mixed with water and of course ice...that was delicious :p

LyricSarah
Feb 17th, 2005, 02:28 AM
aaaanything with frozen bananas!!! sometimes ill add blueberries and strawberries...peanut butter or almond butter...sometimes flax seeds or even avocados!!..

Whats reeeeally good is frozen strawberries, blueberries, a bit of agave nectar, sparkiling water, and reisling!!!! yum (or any mildly sweet white wine)

Ruklal
May 11th, 2005, 10:48 PM
Hi guys, newbie here, born vegi from birth on religious grounds. Now trying to go vegan after reading all the stuff about how dairy products are obtained.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has tried making strawberry or banana milkshakes with soya milk? Does it taste nice or does the taste of soya come though?

Also what is the best egg substitute for making a really light fluffy cake, as would happen if eggs were used.

Cheers.

Ok sorry, i just realised I posted in the wrong section. Opps.

Cherry
May 11th, 2005, 11:10 PM
The soya quality does show through things if they are not very strongly flavoured, but you really do get used to it. I can't tell now if things have soya milk in them. It seems completely normal.

I have quite a lot of cake recipes (I'm a big fan of cake!) at www.parsleysoup.co.uk . When I first went vegan I discovered that if you just miss the egg out it just isn't right - you have to alter the quantities of the other ingredients and use a little more baking powder. I sometimes use egg replacer (powdery stuff from health food shops) or soya flour, but most of the time don't bother.

Hope this helps.
Cherry

puffin
May 12th, 2005, 08:43 PM
I use a smoothie maker, put some soya milk in, then add what ever fruit you want then add a couple of tablespoons of vegan ice cream, it tastes lovely and creamy.

Roxy
May 12th, 2005, 08:47 PM
When I make a strawberry shake, I use plain soymilk, loads of fresh strawberries and half a tablespoon of macadamia oil. It gives it a nice nutty taste, which compliments the strawberries nicely :)

Ruklal
May 12th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Thanks very much everybody. I think I will buy some of the cheap long life soya and make some milkshakes using that. Should make it taste much more betta. Should be ok to keep in the fridge for a few days I guess.

Thank you!

DoveInGreyClothing
May 13th, 2005, 12:02 AM
2 tbsp vegetable oil and a little extra baking powder is the best egg replacer, I find.

littleTigercub
May 13th, 2005, 07:36 PM
I use Soy milk, fruit and seeds (Omega 3 mix) which make the shake thicker and add a nice nutty flavour to it and vanilla sugar.

littleTigercub

RockyRaccoon
May 13th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Try a few different soya milks, they do taste different. I've started buying chilled soya milk. I was never too keen on the long life stuff, but Ive found the fresh makes lovely creamy milkshake. I've also recently discovered alpro chilled chocolate milkshake. Mmmmm, my idea of chocolate heaven!

feline01
May 14th, 2005, 03:11 PM
I think almond milk makes a much tastier smoothie/shake than soy. Absolutely no after taste and adds a nice richness. Artichoke turned me on to the Almond Breeze if you live in the US-fantastic stuff.

foxytina_69
Jun 30th, 2005, 06:41 PM
i dont even notice what soy tastes like anymore.

i think my new addiction might be smoothies! they feel so nutritious going in, and so cold which is nice with the heat now.

i just made a really yummy smoothie w/ five frozen strawberries, five slices frozen peaches, half cup orange juice and soymilk, a little bit of stevia, some ice and some hemp oil. mmmmm.

Wildflower
Jul 6th, 2005, 03:12 AM
My new favorite is 1 cup vanilla soymilk, 2 tbs peanut butter (natural and creamy of course) a banana and a few icecubes.

So rich and creamy and yummy!

l337_v3g4n_1
Aug 2nd, 2005, 03:22 PM
you think a simple milk shake of icecream and a banana would be good?

foxytina_69
Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:28 AM
mmm that would be good. my sister always makes extra thick shakes with any kind of soy icecream and a little soymilk and mashes it all together. yum.

Mystic
Aug 25th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Since having my wisdom tooth out, I have been having smoothies for breakfast, and I have discovered that you don't need milk substitutes at all for a thick creamy smoothie - just banana. I have been adding a couple of big bananas (or 4 small bananas) and two punnets of strawberries to the blender, whizz till smooth, and there you have a creamy thick 100% fruit smoothie. For lunch I am thinking of making a pineapple, banana and kiwi smoothie - maybe (I am kind of sick of smoothies :D ) I guess I could add a little mint to that too...

foxytina_69
Aug 26th, 2005, 01:21 AM
mmm i wish i had fruit for smoothies so bad!

gaia13
Aug 27th, 2005, 06:40 PM
I found a great recipie for smoothies, sorbert, and mush. And it simple.
2 pints of rasberries
1 pint blueberries
2 bananas
1 cup strawberries
1/2 cup suger (vegan of course)
any other fruits
cut the strawberries in quarters. Put all ingridents in a bowl and mix carefully. Put in fridge for 30 minutes. take out and mash into sauce. Put over pancakes or anything that you want. It's also good to eat alone.
To make mush into smoothie: After taking it out of frigde -Do Not Mash!- add 1 half part orange juice and 1 half part mush into blender blend until smooth.
For sorbert take out of fridge mash and freeze.

mophoto
Oct 30th, 2005, 06:43 PM
does anyone know how long smoothies keep- in the fridge.

i am about to make a lot because my bananas and other fruit is about to go bad- went a little crazy at the fruit market

Mystic
Nov 10th, 2005, 09:15 PM
I made a smoothie for breakfast this morning, and I wanted a perfect consistency, so I measured it, so I can get it right everytime. Sometimes I make them so thick that it is more like ice cream. Sometimes I can't even suck it up with a straw, and need to eat it with a spoon :D. And other times it is too runny and sloppy :eek:

QM's "perfect" mixed berry smoothie
- 1 large banana, chopped
- 1 cup frozen mixed berries
- 350ml soy milk

Whizz it up and drink!!!!!

Mystic
Nov 10th, 2005, 09:16 PM
does anyone know how long smoothies keep- in the fridge.

i am about to make a lot because my bananas and other fruit is about to go bad- went a little crazy at the fruit market

When my bananas are about to go bad, I peel them, and freeze them. They are great to eat on their own on a hot day, and they are also great in smoothies.

Pob
Nov 10th, 2005, 10:31 PM
We've been having a smoothie every evening with flax oil in.

1 Cox Apple
1/2 a Melon (vary the variety)
Frozen Berries
Some fruit juice (orange or apple, whatever is open)

Sometimes a Williams Pear
Sometimes a small Banana
Sometimes a Kiwi
Sometimes some Mango

I make enough for two, everyday it tastes a little different.

Peaches would be good, but my other half is scared of them :eek: