PDA

View Full Version : What's the lamest excuse you ever heard as to why people eat meat?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

TheHRchannel
Oct 22nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
A girl told me "everyone's body works different and not many people can go vegetarian". I think that's exactly what she said. I think that statement is a load of BS.

NOTE: If people want to eat meat then fine but I find it annoying when people try to justify it, unless it's health related since that situation is understandable but that's where I educate them!

Firestorm
Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:18 PM
Someone once told me they were "too old to change now":rolleyes:

Korn
Oct 22nd, 2011, 11:39 PM
It's something a la 'Vegans don't eat free-range eggs/honey, and I do - therefore I'm not a vegan and may therefore eat meat'.

Maître
Oct 23rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
Not exactly the same but someone I know went back to being omni following a year of a vegan diet, when I inquired as to why, they responded with: "No religions say we should be vegan, so there must be something wrong with it!"

teacup
Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
"Meat tastes so good!"

:hmm:

CoolCat
Oct 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
"But what would we do with all the animals. We can't release them, that wouldn't be safe (in traffic)."

veganosie
Oct 23rd, 2011, 07:06 PM
"i was anaemic while i tried to go vegan...i don't think my body liked it...though i did live on bread and crisps..."

VeganAthlete
Oct 23rd, 2011, 08:34 PM
Wow all of those take the cake for being beyond lame & inaccurate. As long as you're smart about your nutrients, anyone can be vegan.

The lamest excuse I've heard is "Animals are meant to be consumed by humans; that is why they were put on the Earth." I didn't know whether to laugh or turn red from the frustration. Oh and I've also gotten this one: "Humans were meant to eat animal products, why else would humans have consumed meat and milk for millions of years?"

VeganAthlete
Oct 23rd, 2011, 08:36 PM
TheHRchannel,

I have a good idea of what sort of population would say something of the sort. Some people think its anti-cultural as well...such far-fetched bs.

Crusty Rat
Oct 23rd, 2011, 09:29 PM
"They're bred to be killed".

BlackBow
Oct 24th, 2011, 03:43 AM
That's what my dad/mom say haha. The worse I heard is from my sister and she said she can't go vegetarian because she lives with a Mexican family. And they supposedly eat a lot of meat.

buttons
Oct 24th, 2011, 03:52 AM
Not exactly the same but someone I know went back to being omni following a year of a vegan diet, when I inquired as to why, they responded with: "No religions say we should be vegan, so there must be something wrong with it!"

Uh, Jainism?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism#Vegetarianism

They do realise that The Bible was written and influenced by the customs of the times, right? Plus re-interpretations and re-translations. Hence the shellfish and mixed fibre clothing stuff in Leviticus that most denominations completely ignore, and the avoidance of non-lent, non-Friday food restrictions in many denominations. That argument doesn't actually have any logic in it at all. The foolery, it burns!:rollseyes_ani:

Sorry, my research nerd destructo trigger is rather sensitive lately!

VeganAthlete
Oct 24th, 2011, 06:13 AM
BlackBow, that's funny. I am from a Mexican family and I've been vegan for a good while. Plus several members from my family are hispanic & vegan as well. I am sure we would be considered odd by Mexican standards. Lol.

TheHRchannel
Oct 29th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Not exactly the same but someone I know went back to being omni following a year of a vegan diet, when I inquired as to why, they responded with: "No religions say we should be vegan, so there must be something wrong with it!"There's like so many from around the world! Obviously that person is making stuff up! :P

I think people who are Jainism and Buddhism are vegetarians and vegans. It might have to do with the religion but I don't want to do deep into it.

victoriangirl
Nov 1st, 2011, 01:34 PM
'But a hamburger tastes so good'.

That was the reason a colleague gave me on why she loved animals, but couldn't stop eating them. Unbelievable!

Andy_T
Nov 1st, 2011, 02:08 PM
Well, at least she's honest.

Best regards,
Andy

Kateee
Nov 2nd, 2011, 08:57 AM
I have been vegetarian for 5 months and vegan for only 3 or so, but I've heard so many lame excuses until now :dizzy:
- I can't give up meat(like they're addicted to it or something :umm:)
- But steak/other part of a dead animal tastes sooo good...
- If we don't them, there would be so many and they would spread so fast(no comment...)
- But in the old times people used to eat them too(but we're no longer in that period!)
- I am too used to it to give up now
That's what I can remember for now. But I'm very sure that there will be much more of lame excuses :down:.

TheHRchannel
Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:54 PM
I have been vegetarian for 5 months and vegan for only 3 or so, but I've heard so many lame excuses until now :dizzy:
- But in the old times people used to eat them too(but we're no longer in that period!)

Out of the 5 lame excuse you listed, I'd say this one is the dumbest excuse for someone to eat meat.

Mary
Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:22 PM
I HAVE to cook meat for my husband and kids. That's way I could NEVER be vegan.

Yup, that's what she said. Mind you, her kids are pretty much all grown.

VeganAthlete
Nov 3rd, 2011, 06:52 PM
I HAVE to cook meat for my husband and kids. That's way I could NEVER be vegan.

Yup, that's what she said. Mind you, her kids are pretty much all grown.

:hmm: ummm hmmm yeah. If she is the one cooking that means she has complete control of the kitchen & meals... :$: She could totally make her whole family veg w/o them even realizing it (if she does it right)!

My mum pretty much did that to us for a while when we were younger....eggplant lasagna, quinoa & kidney bean enchiladas, etc. We didn't even know! Plus she would give us little green vitamins the doc gave us. Goes to show how some people have VERY faulty thinking.

Ladygold
Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:45 PM
I NEED to have direct protein from an animal, others do not work and my doctor says so.....

When I start feeling weak I know I need Iron and a burger makes me feel better automatically (she didn’t clarify if she has ever tried non animal sources of Iron)

I like meat to much, it tastes good

Now the biggest thing I noticed with these people is they are actively not trying to know what happens to the animals. The pain and suffering is something they cannot deal with so rather not know.

Way to self delusional for me now, but I guess I did my own version at some point ;(

LG

TheHRchannel
Nov 4th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Now the biggest thing I noticed with these people is they are actively not trying to know what happens to the animals. The pain and suffering is something they cannot deal with so rather not know.
LG
That means that they are NOT innocent! If they are PURPOSELY trying to avoid what goes on in slaughterhouses, then they are already 110% guilty for contributing to the suffering of animals!

Ladygold
Nov 4th, 2011, 06:14 PM
That means that they are NOT innocent! If they are PURPOSELY trying to avoid what goes on in slaughterhouses, then they are already 110% guilty for contributing to the suffering of animals!

Yes of course. That is the point

LG

TheHRchannel
Nov 18th, 2011, 04:26 AM
Okay so the girl that basically said that not everyone can be on a plant based diet because our bodies work differently as she was only referring to humans added something else to her so called "beliefs". She supports the testing of animals because she thinks their bodies work the same as ours and yet she had the nerve to say that every human's body works differently. ><

What is this? I mean......I was speechless!

sarannity
Nov 20th, 2011, 05:19 PM
One of my pet hates is excuses, I wish people would just say "I like meat" or "it's too much effort" at least that suggests they are accepting responsibility for it.

I really hate when people acknowledge that they /should/ buy more ethical produce, but they choose not to for some silly reason. Probably the worst one I've heard is a Christian rationale that "animals were put on this earth as tools for people" which I find very strange given a lot of Christians are actually very conscious of consuming little and more ethical (higher welfare standards I mean) meat.