PDA

View Full Version : Vegan comfort food

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18

beanstew
Oct 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM
^ what he said. In fact I've got an huge cottage pie baking right now which I'm going to scoff down with a big pile of Brussels Sprouts.

missbettie
Oct 19th, 2009, 08:27 PM
i've still yet to try brussell sprouts...

beanstew
Oct 19th, 2009, 08:29 PM
i've still yet to try brussell sprouts...

:eek: They are SO YUMMY!

Just thought I'd get that in before the sprout haters turn up. :)

veganwitch
Oct 19th, 2009, 08:30 PM
^Another sprout lover here. How could anyone hate sprouts? They're so cute.

BlackCats
Oct 19th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Sheperd's pie (I just ate about half a tray!), lasange or pizza. Basically anything with an enourmous amount of carbs!

^ what he said. In fact I've got an huge cottage pie baking right now which I'm going to scoff down with a big pile of Brussels Sprouts.

Stop teasing me you two!:mad::p Mmmm.

missbettie
Oct 19th, 2009, 08:41 PM
:eek: They are SO YUMMY!

Just thought I'd get that in before the sprout haters turn up. :)

^Another sprout lover here. How could anyone hate sprouts? They're so cute.

how do you guys eat/cook them? i really want to try them but i'm so scared!!!

beanstew
Oct 19th, 2009, 08:42 PM

I like them steamed.

missbettie
Oct 19th, 2009, 08:47 PM
i want to try roasting them, i've heard thats really good...

beanstew
Oct 19th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I've never tried roasting them but have also heard that they're good that way.

veganwitch
Oct 20th, 2009, 12:07 AM
The past few times I've roasted them as well. I really like them that way. There's a great recipe in VWAV.

DiaShel
Oct 20th, 2009, 01:21 AM
I've never had them either. I always heard they were the nastiest of veggies. Why do they get such a bad rep?

veganwitch
Oct 20th, 2009, 02:22 AM
Broccoli gets a bad rep too. I bet it's a smear campaign from the omni front!

Ms_Derious
Oct 20th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I've never had them either. I always heard they were the nastiest of veggies. Why do they get such a bad rep?

I know that it's actually a genetic thing. There is a sulphurous compound in all brassicas them that tastes very different to some people and stimulates a gag reflex. From memory, it's this compound that makes a lot of brassicas cold tolerant as it prevents the sap freezing in them and causing tissue damage.

My husband can not stand even the smell of some brassicas, brussels being the worst for him. Because brussels are very delicate, but have a ball of leaves you need to cook them for longer than some other brassicas to get them cooked in the centre, and this releases more of the chemical.

Anyway, yes, this glucose based compound is mildly toxic, and more people have a stronger taste response to this, which is understood to be a genetic issue.

DiaShel
Oct 20th, 2009, 12:22 PM
^ Interesting!! Thanks. I have to do some experimenting then

Gorilla
Oct 21st, 2009, 11:33 AM

chop them thinly and stir-fry them. they're also good steamed or roasted with lots of gravy.

some of my comfort foods are macaroni cheez, spaghetti with lentil sauce or bolognese, lasagne, shepherds pie, jacket potato with baked beans, pizza, Chinese food, cake and rice pudding.

erynne936
Oct 23rd, 2009, 07:11 PM
now that it's nice and cool out again, it's risotto! i hate making it but i love eating it! :) we make this one often, with lots of mushrooms! even my omni husband begs me to make it! mmm....

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/index.php?RecipeID=268

VegaLi
Oct 26th, 2009, 05:39 AM
My comfortfood definitely is dark chocolate and cashews!! Once I started on them, I canīt stop.........

vintagenarcissa
Dec 13th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I'm really enjoying coconut milk ice cream right now.

patientia
Jan 8th, 2010, 11:59 PM
When I'm cold:
Cream of some vegetable soup, so thick that the spoon stays on top.
Stews.
Puddings.

When I'm not feeling well:
Potatoes.

When I'm nervous:
Chocolate.

chefness
Jan 27th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Cauliflower, mushrooms, (both of which I eat like popcorn) and the stalks of broccoli (spears)...mmm

RubyDuby
Jan 27th, 2010, 05:50 PM
wow, i wish i had your palate.

missbettie
Jan 27th, 2010, 06:29 PM
me too...i'm trying to make baked kale my comfort food...cause i'm so found of chips...but its not working too well...everytime i burp after i get a kale after taste... :(

RubyDuby
Jan 27th, 2010, 06:31 PM
:lol: I don't think I'd mind that... we have a bunch of kale right now. It's just such a pain to make the chips.

missbettie
Jan 27th, 2010, 06:54 PM
how do you make them ruby? maybe i'm just not doing it right...

RubyDuby
Jan 27th, 2010, 06:57 PM
I just rip the kale into small pieces, toss them around in a lidded container with a Tbs of oil and vinegar, then bake at 375F in a single layer until they're dry (10 min or so). They're easy, but the single layer is what's such a pain. It only makes a handful so I end up having like 10 batches. My oven is tiny too.