PDA

View Full Version : Vegan comfort food

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Troutina
Dec 4th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Melted dark chocolate mixed with cornflakes, eaten straight away.
Used to have skittles in but now :(

Bourbon biscuits
Hobnobs
Vegan choccy brownies
Kettle Chips and chilli dip
Redveg mmmm chillli burger and chips and 'coke'
Garlic bread
Chips in garlic 'mayo'

Cherry
Dec 4th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Melted dark chocolate mixed with cornflakes,

Well that's gotta beat milk! Chocolate's good for anything so it seems.

My ultimate comfort food is hot chocolate fudge cake with extra chocolate sauce and swedish glace, with a cup of tea.

Meal-wise I would have to agree with the sausage, mash and onion gravy idea. Or vegetable lasagne. Or pie. Or all three!

Blueshark
Dec 4th, 2005, 10:07 PM
Deffo fruit and nut choc for me.

I agree with Cherry above - mash, sausages, onions and peas are my fave comfort food as a meal.

Also just discovered village bakery mince pies and alpro soya cream ...that is tasty!

Troutina
Dec 4th, 2005, 10:08 PM
I just had one of those mince pies too!!
They have so much sugar on top, its so unnecessary!
And they fell apart, which my dog enjoyed.

Cherry
Dec 4th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Village Bakery as in Melmerby?

I live two villages along from there. I didn't realise their stuff had taken off quite so much!

thecounterspark
Dec 4th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I always wanted to try that whole "chestnuts roasting on an open fire..." thing. maybe I'll finally do it this christmas!

my comfort foods:
-almond butter stuffed dates (seriously can eat about 14 or 15 in one sitting if I'm in a bad mood or something... oh but then such a tummyache!)
-any kind of freshly baked vegan bread, cinnamon raisin being my favorite; i think it has something to do with the warmth and the texture that makes it comforting

Blueshark
Dec 4th, 2005, 10:59 PM

I live two villages along from there. I didn't realise their stuff had taken off quite so much!

I think so. However I was only able to get the pies from a health food shop.

But I do see some of their other stuff in mainstream supermarkets.

Troutina- probably right about the sugar - tried not to notice it actually :p

Wishin986
Dec 4th, 2005, 11:00 PM
I always wanted to try that whole "chestnuts roasting on an open fire..." thing. maybe I'll finally do it this christmas!

my comfort foods:
-almond butter stuffed dates (seriously can eat about 14 or 15 in one sitting if I'm in a bad mood or something... oh but then such a tummyache!)
-any kind of freshly baked vegan bread, cinnamon raisin being my favorite; i think it has something to do with the warmth and the texture that makes it comforting

yumm stuffed dates are amazing - i usually use cashew nut butter - i have yet to try almond nut butter but i want to!

thecounterspark
Dec 4th, 2005, 11:07 PM
mm cashew butter is good too. i just love ALL nut butters.
but you must MUST try almond butter soon. :-) I'm a little biased, though. have you ever had macadamia butter? I want to try it because i love macadamia nuts, but i can never find the nut butter in any stores around here to try.

princessemma
Dec 4th, 2005, 11:17 PM
I love nut butters as well, on toast.

Troutina
Dec 4th, 2005, 11:19 PM

Umm I guess so...!
They're gluten free etc etc.
My Mum bought them for me from the Health Food shop.

moochbabe
Dec 4th, 2005, 11:28 PM
i see macadamia butter at trader joes but haven't picked it up yet, i need to though...

thecounterspark
Dec 4th, 2005, 11:48 PM
oh yeah, nut butter on toast.. mmm, it gets all melty and even more gooey. gosh my mouth is watering!

and fie, there is no trader joe's where i live.
if you ever pick up the macadamia butter, let me know how it is.:p

sugarmouse
Dec 5th, 2005, 12:50 AM
carrots n veganaise!
noodles..anythin starchy i dnt eat often...myown cooking is gud when i let myself add stodge toit!Lol

moochbabe
Dec 5th, 2005, 01:01 AM
will do counter!

peaches22
Dec 5th, 2005, 01:21 AM
Hommus and sesame breadsticks. Bolthouse Farms vanilla soy chai drink.

moochbabe
Dec 5th, 2005, 01:28 AM
YUM

catmogg
Dec 9th, 2005, 07:25 PM
mustard mash :) .............mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

catmogg
Dec 9th, 2005, 07:27 PM
btw, i've never managed to find a really fantastic vegan gravy mix.... Can anyone recommend one? :confused: I'd be eversa grateful like.

speedylemons
Dec 9th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Comfort food for me unfortunately is anything [vegan] junk food like. the higher the cals the better it seems. Ugh! But seriously, munching on junk food all night long really helps the whole self pity-angry mood thing. :cool:

Artichoke47
Dec 9th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Apple cider, caramel, and soymilk or other non-dairy milk. Yum and warm.

Lily
Dec 9th, 2005, 09:23 PM
btw, i've never managed to find a really fantastic vegan gravy mix.... Can anyone recommend one? :confused: I'd be eversa grateful like.

Don't know whether you've tried it, but I use Tesco vegetable gravy granules (in the green tub, but only marked 'vegetarian'). It's in the Animal Free Shopper :).

catmogg
Dec 9th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks Lily will try this!!!:) :) :)

Lily
Dec 9th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Apple cider, caramel, and soymilk or other non-dairy milk. Yum and warm.

That sounds absolutely delicious Artichoke - how do you make it? What caramel? Is it a syrup? Oooh I've got to try some!.....drool......

Blueshark
Dec 9th, 2005, 09:32 PM
sugared almonds :D