PDA

View Full Version : Vegan comfort food

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Yoggy
Sep 30th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I don't like it either. :o
:eek: lol

Well, I think it's the sort of thing that you either love or hate. I remember liking "real" eggnog as a child, but lots of people I knew hated it.

You can send me the rest of your Noel Nog, I'll be happy to take it off your hands ;)

pavotrouge
Oct 1st, 2006, 06:37 PM
I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but the there is a bittersweet chocolate filled with rasberry cream available in stores here that reminds me of something I used to love as I kid (dunno what, just tastes like "childhood"), definitely a comfort food.

Apart from this, I love huuuuuuuge pasta dishes, the easier, the better - tomato sauce or with fried broccoli, lots of garlic and vegan parmesan, falafel in pita bread, and- shame on me- a lot of processed vegan meat substitutes I generally tend to avoid.

But the best still is plain spaghetti with tomato sauce!

Tigerlily
Oct 1st, 2006, 06:52 PM
Lately I've been loving chickpeas.

EFCliz
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Anything with loads of carbs in. A big bowl of olive-oil mashed potatoes or pasta with loads of salt and garlic yum yum yum.

Or my home made marmite pie:

Chop up a head of brocolli including the stalks. Not too fine, but not too chunky. Throw into just enough boiling water to cover and boil until just tender. (This is where amounts get vague depending on how much brocolli you have). Don't drain the brocolli - stir into the water about 1 tbsp marmite and 1 tbsp tomato puree. You may need more. Stir until it's dissolved into the water, then chuck in about 1 tbsp flour and stir until all the lumps are gone. Bring to the boil then simmer until you get a nice thick gravy like sauce around your brocolli. You may need to add more flour or water, but it does need to be quite thick and brown.

Then pour the brocolli and all its gravy into a pie dish and top with a layer of puff pastry. Cook until the pastry is golden. Serve with either mash and extra gravy or chips.

This is so yummy when it's cold outside!

ladyaprille
Oct 4th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Bisto Gravy on a MAHUSSIVE plate of steamed cabbage
OR
crushed oats, topped with water - microwave one minute (till solid), refridgerate for 2 hours - COLD PORRIDGE CAKE haha - stodgy, bland and DELISH!

veggiegirl3
Oct 5th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Fruit smoothies right now, but it changes. Popcorn with EB is also a comfort food right now, which is odd, because my comfort foods are usually creamy and sweet (oatmeal with soymilk and banana, soy ice cream, ect)

purple.cow
Oct 5th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Must fine a new comfort food!!!! I'm dying here, someone give me ideas. lol Is it possible to make your own hummus, must be, must find a recipe, I do have some chickpeas I think!

thecatspajamas1
Oct 5th, 2006, 06:35 AM
just blend chickpeas, tahini, and lemon juice! (you can add garlic, pepper, olive oil, etc. for whatever taste you like)

auntierozzi
Oct 5th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Mine is rice pudding :-) I make it with round rice, soya milk and with vanilla pods, bake it around 2 hours. The only trouble there is that we never seem to make enough! I don't put any sugar in but we add either jam, or date syrup..Or whatever we feel like!

Rosalind

Glossgirl
Aug 17th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Sometimes comfort food is junkfood ...

Chips dipped in gravy or vanilla ice cream
Pasta boiled with loads of salt, margarine and safflower oil with tomato sauce
Pizza
Hot chocolate
Falafel wraps

Maisiepaisie
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Any kind of cake with Oatly cream, also chocolate biscuits, which reminds me I haven't made vegan penguins for a long time. I just coat bourbon biscuits in melted chocolate and leave to set. YUMMY! :p

TheAlterEgo
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Oh Maisiepaise I LOVE bourbon biscuits! Yum :)

My confort food would have to be mash potatoes and vegan spread (or my mum's onion gravy) and some veggies. Or boiled potatoes and veggies!

Mystic
Aug 17th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Potato chips, Fries, Corn Chips, Cakes...anything fatty, sweet and salty lol :D

Beancakes
Aug 18th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Cubed Tofu, red, green and yellow peppers (julienned) and whatever veggies i have on hand (usually shrooms, Chinese cabbage and carrots).

I put my wok on really high heat with a little vege oil (just to coat the pan), then i finely chop a clove of garlic and toss that and the cubes of tofu into the sizzling wok, until the tofu browns a bit. Finally i add the fresh veggies and lower the heat just a tad and cover the wok with a lid.

I serve this yummy concoction on a bed of warm rice noodles and drizzle peanut sauce on top of it :rolleyes::rolleyes:. Sometimes ill add a few beer battered tempura zucchini or eggplant to the dish.

This is my real comfort food, i can enjoy this once a week sometimes more and it still tastes as amazing as the first time i tried it :D.

earthylovingirl
Aug 18th, 2007, 04:48 AM
yum all of the above sounds good...potatoes any kind of way, but pasta tops my list.

fondducoeur
May 21st, 2008, 03:28 PM
i have a few...

mashed potatoes and gravy
cupcakes (i am working my way through the whole vctotw cookbook)
tahini sauce (i put in on steamed veggies, on pita bread, on bagels, on couscous... and have been known to eat a few spoonfuls plain) :)

flying plum
May 24th, 2008, 11:20 AM
bangers and mash...always bangers and mash. with onion gravy.

amanda

treehugga
May 24th, 2008, 12:07 PM
hot chips
chocolate
soy chai latte
homemade choc chip cookies
cauli in vegan cheese sauce with chips and peas :satisfied:

Joeybee
May 24th, 2008, 12:10 PM
Chocolate covered marzipan bars. mmmmmm.
Oh and those linda McCartney pies.

alisont
May 25th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Toast with yeast extract on, most types of cakes (blueberry muffin phase currently here!) jacket pots with homemade colslaw or hummus, hummus in general....sausage and mash, tofu, pasta and tomato/basil sauce, oven chips, sometimes i crave a plate of lightly steamed veggies....

Comfort food for me involves carbs esp bread and potatoes...

xwitchymagicx
May 25th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Potatoes...mashed, fried, baked...

Mmm, carbohydates.

pavotrouge
May 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM
did I mention any kind of rice soup/congee?!

petunia
May 26th, 2008, 07:40 AM
potatoe chips... am so addicted to potatoe chips... :)

Kitteh
May 26th, 2008, 10:41 AM
At the moment muffins and gingerbread or something salty like paprika chips and cups of tea w/ rice milk :)

Huddy
May 26th, 2008, 11:33 AM
At the moment muffins and gingerbread or something salty like paprika chips and cups of tea w/ rice milk :)
Must be something in the air, cos Ive been craving gingerbread and tea w/ rice milk!:) :confused: strange