PDA

View Full Version : Strange tasting veg

Mymblesdaughter
Nov 21st, 2011, 05:19 PM
Over the last couple of years I've found that some vegetables taste strange. It's a sort of mouldy/mildew taste but the veg aren't actually mouldy. I've never had veg in my organic veg box that taste like it only from supermarkets etc. I'm wondering if it's something to do with keeping food in cold storage for long periods of time. The veg that are usually affected are courgettes, peppers, garlic, onion, mushrooms and potatoes. Has anyone else noticed it?

Crusty Rat
Nov 22nd, 2011, 05:43 PM
I'm not sure what mould tastes like, but supermarket veg is generally pretty rank. I've had a lot of supermarket veg in the past with very strong chemical tastes, particularly peppers, courgette and onion as you mention. I’ve also experienced a lot of tough, bland or watery supermarket produce (such as mushrooms and potatoes). How long have you been getting the boxes? It could be that your tastebuds are adjusting and the bad flavours are becoming more noticeable.

Mymblesdaughter
Nov 22nd, 2011, 07:36 PM
Hi Crusty rat, thanks for replying, maybe you're right it could be a chemically taste, it's a difficult taste to describe. Although the garlic and potatoes were organic. I've been getting the veg box for about 20 years so it's not something new. I can't believe other people haven't noticed it.

Risker
Nov 29th, 2011, 09:02 AM
IMHO most mould tastes like dirt. I'm very happy with the fruit and veg I buy from the supermarket btw, tastes good to me, it's generally fresh, flavourful and very good value.

Perhaps you could get someone to set up a blind taste test for you to compare two identical varieties of produce from supermarket/veg box. I think quite often the difference in flavour people notice is more to do with variety than anything else. I don't believe there's been any reliable studies done (and studies have been done) that have shown any difference in taste between organic and non-organic at least.

Crusty Rat
Nov 29th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Aye, I haven't seen any reliable (non-biased) studies. Would be fun to do one though. :D

Mymblesdaughter
Nov 29th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I've never actually eaten dirt so wouldn't know. ;) It's quite an overpowering taste I had to throw away some leek and potato soup as it tasted so bad.

As for organic veg, I think the carrots and potatoes in the veg box taste better but it could be because they have different varieties and are fresher than the supermarkets. I buy an organic box though for other reasons like no GM, chemicals damaging effect on the environment, locally produced, seasonal and fair price for the producer.

harpy
Nov 29th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I agree about the reasons, Mymblesdaughter.

When the box ones taste better I put it down to the fact that, perhaps because appearance is less of an issue, the farmers grow different varieties and also often let them get bigger before harvesting. I think that's particularly true of carrots, those great big ones are much more carroty than the little ones.

I haven't noticed a particular flavour in supermarket ones but it wouldn't be surprising if they are less fresh tasting because they have generally taken longer to reach you than the box ones (depending on the particular box scheme I suspect).