PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Omega-3: Flax seeds / linseeds

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

chakra
Jan 12th, 2005, 09:09 PM
I use two large spoonfuls every morning. I mix it with my Mueslix cereal, which is sufficient in fiber and grain so the flax meal is going to get well digested along with the cereal. I just put a lot of soy milk on it about an hour before I eat it. At work I drink water all day long.

martinired
Jan 13th, 2005, 01:29 AM
I think I'll have to invest in a grinder also. I've seen them for about 10 bucks. Right now, I'm using the milled flax seed and I know it's not as fresh as the whole seed.

Happy flaxing! :)

martinired
Jan 13th, 2005, 01:32 AM
Mmmmm... Mueslix. That's one I haven't tried yet. I'm still stuck on Grapenuts. :)

8 winks
Jan 14th, 2005, 09:43 AM
glad u guys seem to have figured that one out :) makes sense

i eat them whole, mixed with oatmeal and other nuts and seeds. i make a point to chew as much as i have the patience for. hope this is okay for my digestive system and all, eating some intact. :confused:

martinired
Jan 20th, 2005, 01:01 AM
glad u guys seem to have figured that one out :) makes sense

i eat them whole, mixed with oatmeal and other nuts and seeds. i make a point to chew as much as i have the patience for. hope this is okay for my digestive system and all, eating some intact. :confused:

I don't think there's anything wrong with eating some whole. It's just that when you eat them whole, you get the effect of the bulk/fiber but you don't get any of the nutrients inside (e.g. the oils) Flax seeds are a little tricky to chew also because as soon as they hit moisture they start to get slippery so they slide between your teeth and it's harder to chomp down on them.

Christi

Trendygirl
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:48 PM
I put a load in a liquidiser and then keep it in the fridge. I have even added it to curries to thicken the source.

LyricSarah
Feb 19th, 2005, 06:28 PM
when people talk about adding flax seeds to their meals...its always like 1 or 2 tbsp. When I add milled flax seeds...its always two huge heaping spoonfuls in the mornng with cereal...and two huuuuuge heaping spoonfuls in my dessert....ususally with a nut butter or some soy frozen dessert....or i eat it like oatmeal even..lots of it. is this too much?? I noticed that my tummy hurts sometimes a little while after.....also.....could it affect the absortion of the pill possibly????

Sarah :D

Tigerlily
Feb 19th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Yes, when I researching flax seeds, that topic came up. I don't remember what it said or the exact website, but you can have too much flax.

And personally, I don't like the taste at all. I can only have like half a tablespoon at most on something. I really don't like flax.

LyricSarah
Feb 19th, 2005, 06:43 PM
also, I buy the already milled flax seeds....like bobs red mill...in the baking aisle usually....is this pointless??? I heard the best is to buy it cold milled...or whole....so i can grind it as I need it.

Kiva Dancer
Feb 19th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I've heard it's best to buy them whole and grind them as needed but pre-ground is fine, too, I believe. But weather whole or pre-ground, they should be stored either in the freezer or the refridgerator so they don't go rancid.

Gorilla
Feb 19th, 2005, 09:22 PM
i believe you need to drink plenty of liquid with flax seeds. there's a thread about it here (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2538)

oh, Kiva Dancer, my packet of ground flaxseed says it mustn't be put in the fridge or freezer :confused:

Kiva Dancer
Feb 20th, 2005, 04:25 AM
Odd. I've read it should be stored cold to stop it going bad.

Oii, colour me confused, then. *shrugging*

foxytina_69
Feb 20th, 2005, 06:22 AM
heres a good link:

http://waltonfeed.com/self/flax.html

Kiva Dancer
Feb 20th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Excellent link, tina. Thanks! :D *bookmarks that page*

kriz
Apr 6th, 2005, 04:23 AM
Today, I made a smoothie with flaxseeds (finely pre-sliced from a package), vanilla soy milk, and a banana. It had a rich nutty taste, real yummy! I finally found a way to use the flaxseeds and make it taste good. :) I'll be getting lots of omega-3 from now on.

kriz
Apr 6th, 2005, 04:34 AM
...On the package it says that sliced flaxseeds are healthier than crushed ones because the nutrients are better preserved. Don't ask me how they slice those little things :eek: What about whole flaxseeds then, is there any nutritional value in them at all?

Seaside
Apr 7th, 2005, 03:06 AM
Try soaking whole flaxseeds in water and see what happens. They get coated with a very thick gel, which is what makes whole flaxseeds an excellent laxative! The seeds will pass through undigested, and you will get no Omega 3 oils from them. I have seen breakfast cereal mixes with whole flaxseeds in them, but there is really no point in including them.

I have looked through this thread, but I can't click on any of the links, because my computer is acting funny, so if this is a repetition, sorry, but if anybody wants the Omega 3 benefits of any food which contains them,

DO NOT COOK THE FOOD!

Omega 3 oils are very heat sensitive, which is why the oil must be kept refrigerated, the already ground seed must be refrigerated, and flax oil must never be used in cooking. It's not so much a matter of rancidity as it is that Omega 3's are not heat stable. You won't be harmed by heating them, as you would by consuming a rancid oil, they just won't do you any good. If you want to buy preground seeds, don't buy them unless they are in the refrigerated section of your market. If the package says do not freeze or refrigerate, don't buy the product! It is best to buy whole seed and grind it yourself, or use the oil. They are best added to salads or smoothies, not to hot dishes.

Flax oil past its consume-by date is an excellent furniture oil!

kriz
Apr 7th, 2005, 03:59 AM
...yeah, and if you add a few drops of lemon essential oil to that, you have a fresh scented furniture oil. ;)

On the package of my flaxseeds it says 'refrigerate after opening', and I bought it non-refrigerated...do you think it's still good?

Seaside
Apr 9th, 2005, 01:57 AM
Look on the package for a sell-by date. If it hasn't expired, the seeds are probably still good. I usually refrigerate my seeds as soon as I bring them home.

Korn
Apr 27th, 2005, 07:36 AM
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/refshelf/substances_view/1,1525,783,00.html

tails4wagging
May 17th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Just started taking it as a seed, spread over my cereal. Nice taste apart from them getting stuck in my teeth!!!!.

Mystic
May 17th, 2005, 10:32 AM
It is great coz it has lots of EFAs and cholestrol lowering properties. Good for bowel health too :p

tails4wagging
May 17th, 2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks, Its dear though, one box cost me £2.99!!

Rhiannon
May 17th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Am I correct in thinking that you should grind them up to get the most nutrients from them, and that if they are eaten whole they are only really good for fibre? Ive been grinding mine but i don't have an electric grinder so it's really bothersome doing it in a pestle and morter. If they are best eaten grinded I think i'll invest in an electric grinder.

Aurora
May 17th, 2005, 03:00 PM
I use them every morning in my fruit smoothie