PDA

View Full Version : Big Vegan by Robin Asbell

Firestorm
Dec 11th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I got this a few weeks ago and spent one evening last week flicking through it, some of the recipes look brilliant, has anyone tried any?
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l560/firestorm2011/images-1.jpg

leedsveg
Dec 11th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I've got millions of vegan cookbooks and I've totally read them all and been delighted. Why would I want to spoil the illusion by trying to actually cook something from one of them?!:lol2:

Seriously though Firestorm, you go for the most interesting recipe and let us know what you think. It's good that there are so many vegan cookbooks around.:thumbsup:

Leedsveg

Firestorm
Dec 11th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Will do, it will probably be during/after Christmas now - I was going to make something today but I have only just sat down!

Manchineel
Jul 8th, 2012, 09:20 AM
I just bought this cookbook, how have you found it? It looks great, but just flicking through it looks very Americanised... which may confuse me at first but I guess I'll get used to the weird names.

Firestorm
Jul 8th, 2012, 06:39 PM
I've found it OK, so far I've made Sweet Potato and Edamame Shepherds pie (pictured below with some substitutions) and some of the seitan I think. Both turned out quite well, but I found myself overwhelmed with recipes, I actually don't think I've finished reading through them all yet!
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l560/firestorm2011/SDC11443.jpg

Blueberries
Aug 22nd, 2012, 09:09 PM
I just got this book on ebook from the library, I haven't finished flicking through it yet but some of the recipes look good. Has anyone tried the cheeses fermented with acidophilous?

Astrid660
Nov 19th, 2012, 09:47 PM
I made the watermelon and tomato salad with basil in the summer. I thought it was far too sweet. I would have put maybe 1tbsp of agave instead of 3!

I browse this cookbook often and am definitely going to try some recipes from it in the near future. I'm bad, I have cookbooks yet I end up trying random online recipes instead. :P

Blueberries
Nov 19th, 2012, 11:18 PM
I'm bad, I have cookbooks yet I end up trying random online recipes instead. :P

Me too!

Astrid660
Mar 22nd, 2013, 08:32 PM
I made the sweet potato edamame shepherd's pie the other day, and it turned out great. I added some sage and thyme, salt and pepper before baking though. It was my first time trying edamame. I would definitely make this again! I would add some gardein chick'n next time or maybe some tofu for more depth.

Astrid660
Mar 29th, 2013, 11:26 PM
I made the japanese okonomiyaki pancake yesterday. It stuck to the pan when baking, because I didn't have a springform pan and I forgot to grease it.. so it was more like an omelet. Also, I hate shitake mushrooms and the recipe called for them so perhaps I didn't enjoy it more because of that. Otherwise, great japanese recipe and the wasabi mayo was divine. I would make this again but I'd probably attempt to fry them instead of bake in the oven.

Astrid660
May 3rd, 2013, 11:04 PM
I made the potato leek soup today. It was so delicious. I did add a bit of oregano and basil and some sage as well as more salt and ground pepper. I omitted the parsley and scallions. It was something I would make again in the future! highly recommend. :)

Blueberries
May 4th, 2013, 09:43 AM
I made the potato leek soup today. It was so delicious. I did add a bit of oregano and basil and some sage as well as more salt and ground pepper. I omitted the parsley and scallions. It was something I would make again in the future! highly recommend. :)

Leek & potato soup is one of my favourite soups, it is a popular soup at home in Ireland :)

Astrid660
May 4th, 2013, 07:50 PM
^I'd never had it before !

I just remembered - Spicy nachos! The recipe in this cookbook is so authentic! I made it a while ago.

Next up is the Saag Paneer,sometime in the next couple days.

Astrid660
Jun 2nd, 2013, 08:59 PM
Saag paneer was a complete waste of ingredients. I don't know what went wrong!

I haven't given up on this book though - tons of recipes and most of the ones I've tried are good so far.

Clueless Git
Jun 4th, 2013, 09:10 AM
Saag paneer was a complete waste of ingredients. I don't know what went wrong!

This book has a recipe for vegan Paneer?

Astrid660
Jul 4th, 2013, 07:29 PM
^Yes! It has a lot of ethnic dishes, actually! It was too bad the paneer didn't work out.