PDA

View Full Version : Vegan for One

Desertthorn
Dec 27th, 2011, 05:30 PM
In about a week I'm heading out for a temporary work assignment and will be living in a hotel with a kitchette in a town that doesn't even know what vegan means. I need help with simple recipes I can make without needing anything that you can't get from a regular grocery store. I'm hoping I can find tofu and tempeh but beyond that I just don't know. Also, my pots and pans will be limited I'm sure.

Any help and suggestions would be wonderful.

Desertthorn
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Keep in mind I love just about everything. Once someone told me about a sandwich that you make and then sit on it for awhile to mush the flavors together. Any ideas.

harpy
Dec 28th, 2011, 05:59 PM
That sounds like pan bagnat, where you roast the vegetables with olive oil and garlic, stick them between slices of bread and then compress the sandwich under a heavy book (you could sit on it I'm sure!) so that the juices soak in - yum. I expect you could do it with grilled veg as well.

I don't think it should be too hard as long as the grocery store has fresh or frozen vegetables and things like canned beans and packets of rice and pasta (most dried pasta is egg-free, at least over here, although obviously you need to check the ingredients). Maybe you should take one or two pans just in case - I have stayed in a hotel in the US that had a kitchenette but no pans!

Gwydion
Dec 28th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Apt title :) (http://www.amazon.com/Vegan-Cooking-One-Simple-Appetizing/dp/0722539231)

Desertthorn
Dec 29th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks Harpy, I was thinking I would check out what they have and then go to a second hand store for pots and pans if I need them. Pan bagnat sounds delicious. I am looking forward to this adventure. LOL

harpy
Dec 29th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Good idea - actually the hotel I mentioned might have produced some pans if I'd asked but we didn't have much time to cook anyway so we didn't bother, and just used the kitchenette for breakfast.

I'm sure you will get on fine. Don't forget to report back! :D

Mymblesdaughter
Dec 30th, 2011, 11:40 AM
What I do in these situations is buy things like packets of savoury rice, couscous etc. Then I add lots of fresh vegetables. The only problem is I have to spend quite a bit of time reading the labels to see which are vegan.

Desertthorn
Dec 30th, 2011, 03:12 PM
LOL I hear ya. AND I'm old with bad eyes and even with my new glasses, its hard to read that small print. My new rule is if I see the ingredient list has anything I can't pronounce or don't know what it is, it goes back on the shelf. Oh and if its longer than a couple of lines I put it back. I was looking for recipes for Rotel online and I came across a recipe using Ramen, Does any one know if ramen is vegan.

leedsveg
Dec 30th, 2011, 05:00 PM
LOL I hear ya. AND I'm old with bad eyes and even with my new glasses, its hard to read that small print. My new rule is if I see the ingredient list has anything I can't pronounce or don't know what it is, it goes back on the shelf. Oh and if its longer than a couple of lines I put it back. I was looking for recipes for Rotel online and I came across a recipe using Ramen, Does any one know if ramen is vegan.

The ingredients of my non-dairy creamer that I use in my coffee have some long names. I've said it before but I'm sure I've seen some of them labelled on fireworks.:lol2:

Leedsveg