PDA

View Full Version : Being in hospital?

sunflowerseed
Feb 17th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Might be being admitted for surgery - is it going to be a nightmare for food? I'll take some kara coconut milk with me and plenty of nakd bars, nuts/seeds/raisins and oat cakes with me but what else do I need to think of?

Also where do people stand on eggs/gelatine in drugs? I know there are alternatives in some instances but not in others.. Anaesthetics would be trickier without eggs I guess..

Thoughts and musings appreciated.. x

harpy
Feb 17th, 2012, 04:23 PM
There's an old thread here http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?21338-vegan-food-in-hospitals Experiences were a bit mixed with some not that encouraging (though socks may have been pulled up since). I think the best advice is to try and contact ward, caterers and/or dietician well ahead of your admission if you can to see what they can sort out for you.

Personally I would try not to worry about non-vegan drugs too much while you're in hospital. You can ask them to note your preferences but I suspect they will want to use what they usually use and what they think is likely to get you better, and there may not be much time to discuss alternatives. For any drugs that you need to take longer term it will obviously be easier for you to check if there are more vegan-friendly alternatives.

Good luck with it all.

Risker
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:03 PM
As I understand it food is a nightmare for pretty much everyone in hospital, I have a non-veg friend in hosp right now who's far from being a fussy eater yet he's still getting his food brought in for him.

I've heard that if they aren't feeding you properly it's a good idea to ask to see a dietitian.

With regards to animal products in medicines I agree with harpy, it's best to just make your wishes well known and ask them to do their best.

begreendee
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Sunflowerseed......When my husband was in hospital for various reasons, we found that requesting a vegan meal is like asking for the moon. They only cater for vegetarians which means you have to be careful about hidden eggs and dairy. The safest way is to get your visitors to bring in some foood depending on how long you are staying for. If it is a minor surgery and day case then the snacks you mentioned would sustain you.

harpy
Feb 17th, 2012, 05:53 PM
I do think it depends on where you are a bit. I was visiting someone for a bit in a hospital in Tooting (multiracial inner city area) and they had a menu listing dishes for various religions and regions, some of which were (if I remember correctly) identified as vegan. They were frozen so you were supposed to be able to have any of them on any day.

That was the theory - I never saw anyone actually have one, admittedly.

The system shouldn't rely on visitors should it, as not everyone has them.

Firestorm
Feb 17th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Have you tried checking the hospitals website? My local states on their website that they cater for vegans.

Gattona
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Hi,

I've just come out of hospital - it was an emergency admission so I had no time to prepare. The head of catering was very willing to help but was very handicapped by the fact they use a cook chill system and he was bound to use the official approved suppliers. He had no idea what to feed me. Very willing but dead ignorant and I was in no state to advise him. There was a section on the menu called Asian Vegetarian that was generally vegan, otherwise my choice was baked beans and baked potato. Once I'd got some soya milk (he proudly presented me with a carton when I'd been in four days) in I used to beg an extra portion of breakfast cereal to have as desert with my evening meal. It was all very unsuitable though - I needed light and easily digestible food not to have everything based around pulses. It caused me digestive problems that were only sorted by my being on ABs for the next couple of days that made me throw up and be unable to eat.

In the light of my experience I'd strongly suggest that you talk with the head of catering and see what they can provide. Will your surgery involve your digestive system? If so, think and plan very carefully what you will be able to eat.

Animal ingredients in drugs, well my own feelings at the time were blurred with morphine, fear and wanting to stay alive. I'm not proud of it now but I didn't mention once I'd appreciate an animal free drug if possible. If you are going in for planned surgery you might be in a position to discuss alternatives but I doubt there will be many alternatives and in any possible emergency there wouldn't be time for discussion.

I wish you all the best for your surgery and stay in hospital.

Gattona
Feb 17th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Have you tried checking the hospitals website? My local states on their website that they cater for vegans.

Wow! Impressive. I just couldn't believe that my local was not even geared up for lactose intolerant people.

harpy
Feb 18th, 2012, 01:08 AM
Hope you're OK now Gattona? Sounds a gruelling experience and not only because of the food :/ I don't blame you for not talking about different drugs in the circs!

sunflowerseed
Feb 18th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Thanks everyone! Gattona - sorry to hear you were so poorly, hope you're recovering well x

I'll look at the website and see what it says! Personally, I'm not too fussed about what's in the drugs in an emergency setting but, like you say, I can look for alternatives if there's time or it's appropriate!