PDA

View Full Version : Vege Bacon

Fruit Tea
Feb 19th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Am I the only person who struggles with vege bacon? The instructions say "best cooked from frozen" yet when I open the box all the rashers are stuck together in one big lump and I find it impossible to separate them. I try to separate them with a knife but invariably end up stabbing myself and am left with a pile of bacon 'shards' to cook with. It is sooooooooooo frustrating :mad:. Any tips gratefully received! :lol:

Blueberries
Feb 19th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Are they the Realeat ones? I've never tried them, but I have tried the Redwoods ones, which are refrigerated rather than frozen so they don't stick together :D

Fruit Tea
Feb 19th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Yes, it was the Realeat ones I was battling with tonight but I've also had the same problem with other frozen ones. Fresh is probably the way to go but I haven't seen any in the shops locally. Do they sell them in Holland & Barratt do you know? :confused:

Enchantress
Feb 19th, 2012, 08:54 PM
I thought Realeat VegeBacon had egg white in it.

Fruit Tea
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:08 PM
WHAAAAAT? Oh no, I hope not :(. I will go check the packet.

Firestorm
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:09 PM
It thought they had egg in as well? http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/detail/329431_Realeat_VegeBacon_150g.html

Fruit Tea
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Oh Enchantress, you're right :cry:, it has got 'free range egg ablbumin powder' listed on the ingredients. I'm so annoyed with myself for not checking, for some reason I thought Realeat were vegan. Gutted.

Firestorm
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Dont beat yourself up over it, nobody is perfect and most people here have made mistakes.

Holland and Barrett do sell fresh Redwood rashers, they are pretty good.

Fruit Tea
Feb 19th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Thanks Firestorm, I will get those next time x

gmc
Feb 21st, 2012, 09:32 PM
Dont beat yourself up over it, nobody is perfect and most people here have made mistakes.

Holland and Barrett do sell fresh Redwood rashers, they are pretty good.

We have these every week, they cook in 1 1/2 minutes, and make a lovely BLT sandwich. Just don't overcook them though