PDA

View Full Version : OMG I am in love with......

Daffodil
Mar 19th, 2012, 08:28 PM
.....silken tofu!

I never quite understood tofu and the different kinds (blush) and usually buy the same one. but this time they only had silken so bought it anyway.....

was planning to make those keebabs on sticks.. chunks of tofu, onions, toms, etc fried and put onto sticks which i often make but this silken stuff fell apart in the pan and it turned into a kind of omelette and it was the lushest thing i've eaten in ages! i've missed scrambled egg/omelettes i shall be making this again soon :-)

just had to share while i sit here with my full belly lol

:-)

harpy
Mar 19th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Yes, it's good stuff. I can see it would be tricky for kebabs though ;)

Cacique
Mar 19th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Silken tofu is great for many things, all though I've only had it for pudding! There's a little vegan store like 20 minutes from where I live and they had silken tofu with a pudding mix pack sold besides it. It was one of the best puddings I've ever had! I think the silken tofu held the fluffy/airy texture great, so the pudding wasn't too runny or goopy. It was great.

I've never tried tofu kabobs, now I'm interested. I've been wanting to try to make BBQed kabobs with seitan, but I need a BBQ first lol.

Daffodil
Mar 20th, 2012, 12:11 AM
what is the pudding you make?

Cacique
Mar 20th, 2012, 12:40 AM
The brand is called Mori-nu. Had to look up the store to find the brand and ended up going to their main site. It seems like pretty much what they sell is tofu and pudding/pie filling mix.

http://www.morinu.com/products/products_detail.aspx?id=7

That is the chocolate pudding/pie filling mix. All you do is blend the mix with a pack of silken tofu and that's it, I've done it with the extra firm silken tofu all though it seems like it would work with any kind of silken tofu. They also have a vanilla pudding.

A_Belyaeva
Mar 20th, 2012, 02:35 AM
I have used silken tofu in smoothies and have heard about scrambled silken tofu dishes, I miss my omelets! :( how did you cook it and was it good?

Daffodil
Mar 20th, 2012, 03:56 PM
I have used silken tofu in smoothies and have heard about scrambled silken tofu dishes, I miss my omelets! :( how did you cook it and was it good?

well i just started frying it up with a a little oil, the way i normally fry the chunks for my kebabs and it just all kinda fell apart, i expect you'd call it more scrambled egg than an omelette, it was just the prescence of all the other veg in there that made me call it omelette ....

Firestorm
Mar 20th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Veggiestuff have a good recipe for scrambled silken tofu as well which I use regularly: http://www.veggiestuff.com/acatalog/recipe-scrambled-silken-tofu.html

Poison Ivy
Mar 21st, 2012, 12:45 AM
Haven't tried it personally (due mainly to a distinct lack of silken tofu in these parts) but this omelette recipe uses silken tofu http://www.brendajwiley.com/omelette.html

A_Belyaeva
Mar 21st, 2012, 01:38 AM
Thank you! :)