PDA

View Full Version : Commercially produced tofu made with lemon juice?

Rocker_C
Apr 10th, 2012, 03:29 AM
Hi there,

Brand new here, and I have to say that this forum is a really cool resource. Full of awesome snippets of information.

But down to the question..

Are there any commerically produced tofu which are coagulated with lemon juice? If not, has anyone had any experience of making it at home with lemon juice? How did it turn out if you did/have?

Thanks

Chris

Blueberries
Apr 10th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Heya Chris, I've never seen commercial tofu made with lemon juice, usually made with nigari or calcium sulfate. I'd be interested to hear how you get on though! Did you read about lemon juice coagulants somewhere or is it something that just sprung into your mind?

Rocker_C
Apr 11th, 2012, 04:47 AM
Heya Chris, I've never seen commercial tofu made with lemon juice, usually made with nigari or calcium sulfate. I'd be interested to hear how you get on though! Did you read about lemon juice coagulants somewhere or is it something that just sprung into your mind?

Hey Blueberries

I'd always seen it in the shops made with nigari/calcium sulfate too. I cant help but feel a little funny about using it to make tofu, almost as if it could somehow be unhealthy for the body. Thats how I got onto looking into coagulating the soy milk with either Apple Cider Vinegar or some kind of citrus fruit. I looked on YouTube, and there's a few people using it on there as a coagulant. I did try to make it one time, but I swear I must of got the proportions wrong or something similar because it didn't turn out great. I shall have to try again soon. I was just seeing if anyone had heard of any commercially available tofu made with lemon juice. With tofu soaking up the flavors around it, Id imagine it would taste really bitter/lemony if made with lemon, but could do well perhaps in some kind of a dessert?