PDA

View Full Version : Jamies School Dinners

Pages : 1 [2]

Mystic
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:48 AM
My school's lunches are really horrible. I was trying for a while to get them to serve vegan lunches, but eventually I gave up and I just pack my own lunches. it's so disgusting... they have an ice cream machine, they have one of those "milk" machines (that have flavored milk with more sugar than soda has) their "salads" have chicken in them and don't even bother trying to check ingredients! I have a friend who got food poisoning from the school lunches and my brother has gotten sour milk on more than one occasion. the only thing I can actually eat at school it pretzels from the snack machines so when I forget lunch, I'm out of luck. (now I bring hummus and tofu wraps, homemade burritos, home made bread, organic apple sauce, mushroom and tomato pitas... yum!) I still need to get a thermos so I can bring tea or soymilk to school. (I can't bring myself to use juice boxes; so wasteful.)

Green Faery, you are so knowledgable for your age! When I was 17 (I was just vegetarian), I lived on chocolate, strawberry milk, kraft peanut butter sandwiches on white bread, spinach and ricotta filo pastries, vegetable pasties and crisps. Now, to uni I take avocado and tomato or hummus or tahini sandwiches (on wholewheat bread), chopped up raw veggies like carrots, capsicum or cucumber, fresh fruit and dried fruit. I get bored sometimes but at least it is healthy.

Gorilla
Mar 14th, 2005, 09:49 AM
my local newspaper had an article about school dinners, giving a couple of samples from a typical menu. these kids are getting things called 'Turkey Twizzlers' from Bernard Matthews, 'Fish Rockets', or a vegan option called Monster Feet - i was a little surprised to see that they even provide vegan processed food, but it's hardly healthy - rehydrated potato flake, soy isolate, hydrolised vegetable protein, E numbers. children can't eat that sort of thing every day.

Mystic
Mar 14th, 2005, 10:01 AM
Oh gee that sounds just delicious. I wish I could have monster feet :rolleyes: :eek:

feline01
Mar 14th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Check out the Professor F. Rankfurter's link.

http://www.channel4.com/life/microsites/J/jamies_school_dinners/fowl/index.html

Andi
Professor Frankfurter :p ?

cedarblue
Mar 14th, 2005, 06:21 PM
i read fast food nation, mattd, really enjoyed it.

let my daughter watch the jamie oliver show, i taped it for her. although there was lots of effing and blinding in it i figured i would rather let her see the show with the rubbish food content and what he was trying to do with providing nutritious lunches than worry about a bit of swearing - she is not the kind of kid to start effing in her speech just because of that show. (she did laugh at jamie making tomato bread and then putting two apples at the end of it and it resembled a gents bits!! :rolleyes: )

after watching it, she informs me that she doesnt want school dins any more but that i need to give her 'interesting' packed lunches. we spoke about what ideas she has and she came up with feta cheese & salad, soup in a flask, tofutti cheese in pittas, tofu cubes, cheese & lemon sandwiches, marmite sandwiches, fruit salad. (she is veggie not vegan)

i figured letting her input into her lunches will make her eat them up (she used to come home with sometimes none of it touched), she has also decided not to have crisps in there, a spacebar (bit like fruit leather) instead.

she was shocked that the kids at the beginning of the show didnt know what a courgette (zuchini) or head of celery was!! good girl :D

she cant wait for next weeks show - apparently he's up in county durham.

p.s. that'll be montisory, mattd ;)

update:...daughter is enjoying her lunches, soup in flask with french bread, tofu & feta with coleslaw, pasta salad etc and each day either homemade flapjack or yoghurt raisins, a fruit leather, some fresh fruit eg pineapple, melon, grapes, satsuma and flask of juice.

she had the friday 'fun lunch' last week and said the pizza was horrid - not so fun then!

mattd
Mar 14th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Has anyone here seen 'supersize me'? There's one bit about junk food and school lunch. Apparently the USDA has such a hold on school lunches that they are literally crap. For those that don't know the USDA is a government funded department created by the republican party to sell the goods of their largest industry backer. They're involved in everything, includig school lunch, and they're funded by tax dollars. Sad stuff.

Well it does stand for United States Department of Agriculture. So I would expect it to be paid for by tax dollars. The USDA does indeed have horrible standards for whats acceptable to feed school children, but I wouldn't rush to blame it on the Republican Party. And it's not really the USDA that has the hold on school lunches, its corportate agriculture and animal farming that has the hold. These companies do have alot of power over the USDA, so are able to keep poisoning kids with that food. On top of that, you have schools that are vastly underfunded, so soft drink and junkfood companies (and more and more now your seeing fast food companies) make deals with the schools that if they put in their companies vending machines in their schools, then the schools get a certain amount of the money from the machines.

cedarblue
Mar 14th, 2005, 06:37 PM
looking forward to this weeks final episode where it looks like jamie is chatting with a council official and is asking the official which he would rather see kids eating, a plate of freshly cooked food or a plate with a twizzler, a footie foot and bit of something else on....hmmm wonder what he will choose??

Jobey
Mar 16th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Last episode in 20 mins

Kevster
Mar 20th, 2005, 08:21 PM
'Blair acts on Jamie's plan for schools

Gaby Hinsliff and Amelia Hill
Sunday March 20, 2005
The Observer

Tony Blair is to bow to the increasing clamour from parents for better school meals for their children and announce a series of plans to swap junk food for 'organic and local' fresh meals.'

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/politics/story/0,6903,1441940,00.html

cedarblue
Mar 22nd, 2005, 04:08 PM
looking forward to this weeks final episode where it looks like jamie is chatting with a council official and is asking the official which he would rather see kids eating, a plate of freshly cooked food or a plate with a twizzler, a footie foot and bit of something else on....hmmm wonder what he will choose??

well it was encouraging to see the minister agree about the quality of school meals and that he would be encouraging the move to improve the quality of dinners and replace junk - just a shame that he was shuffled from his post and replaced by a lady who had no plans to shelve the junk food choice in schools.

interesting guardian article, kev ;)

lets hope the govt can follow through - or if they are voted out of office that a subsequent govt will continue positive changes.

gertvegan
Apr 20th, 2005, 10:19 PM
Theres a good article in the latest Vegetarian & Vegan Foundation (http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/) mag by Tony Wardle.

As well as the mentioning Jamie Oliver, it talks about the collapse in child nutrition at schools being down to the privatisation and contracting of school meals to the lowest bidders. It also talks about how some companies that produce damaging foods have infiltrated schools and influence the curriculum.

Berbatd Matthews with his turkey twizzlers uses zone crazy promotional packages and science zone ideas to keep the bm name in front of kids.

And fat ronalds is involved in teacher development and support, placing 300 teachers in their restaurants per year to learn experience and develop case studies to take back to school. They produce materials for a level, and thousands of students do work experience with them. They even produce a cd rom to be used in maths and science classes.

It also talks about the meat and livestock commission who help devise the food technology curriculum.

Poison Ivy
Apr 20th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Yep, been looking at the Meat and Livestock Commissions website tonight and all the 'educational' bumph that they give free of charge :mad:

A few weeks ago I saw the whiteboard thing in one of the classrooms in the year above the one my daughter is in. It was covered in the traditional food pyramid, and the 'healthy' food choices that the children should be making i.e meat and dairy - I was furious, I felt like marching in and telling the teacher what a load of rubbish they were teaching these 6 year olds, but given that my daughter wasn't in there I didn't think it would be a terribly good idea :o

Rest assured that if they repeat this 'lesson' in 'healthy food choices' next year I will make my feelings on the inappropriateness of it quite clear!!!(A troublesome, bolshy parent, moi!! Never :D )

cedarblue
Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:02 PM
'Blair acts on Jamie's plan for schools

Gaby Hinsliff and Amelia Hill
Sunday March 20, 2005
The Observer

Tony Blair is to bow to the increasing clamour from parents for better school meals for their children and announce a series of plans to swap junk food for 'organic and local' fresh meals.'

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/politics/story/0,6903,1441940,00.html

daughter has 'friday fun lunches' at school, anything from pizza to chips etc.
i asked her yesterday what she had for fun lunch and she mumbled 'pizza'. i asked was it nice, she mumbled 'ok but i thought jamie oliver had spoken to mr blair to make the dinners better?'

kids are brilliant, if mr blair agreed to improve the dinners why hasnt it happened already - kind-of-thing???

if only change were that quick!!

Kevster
Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Perhaps it is easier to make things worse than it is to make things better...

cedarblue
Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:18 PM
more jamie prog info here (http://www.flintoff.org/article/181/one-hot-potato)

cedarblue
Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:19 PM
Perhaps it is easier to make things worse than it is to make things better...

you said it! :(