PDA

View Full Version : Which vegan products available in the US would you like to buy in UK/Europe?

Pages : [1] 2

thegreenjudy
Apr 16th, 2012, 03:35 PM
So I have been thinking about opening my own online shop and sell especially vegan foods that are not available in the UK (EU) yet.
For example Daiya cheese. I would have to do some research of course (maybe Daiya would only consider selling to big retailers) but I would like to know your opinion about
what type of products you would you like to buy in the UK? (sorry, I hope I am allowed to do this...it's only an idea so far :-) )

harpy
Apr 16th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Good idea. I quite liked Daiya the one time I had it but my friend in the US was just telling me it's "gummy" :) Would you do things like shoes as well do you think, as different brands seem to be available over there?

Have you thought of also selling things available in some parts of Europe but not others? I've seen quite a few things in those German and Austrian organic supermarkets that don't seem to be available here.

thegreenjudy
Apr 16th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Yes I would look into German products as well (I happen to be German so the links are there :-) )

I would start with foods and later introduce other products!

harpy
Apr 16th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Yes thegreenjudy - you said you were German before. You shouldn't have any problems talking them into exporting their stuff then!

Have you been to Veganz, the vegan supermarket in Berlin? That was wonderful. Mind you I was extremely hungry at the time :)

thegreenjudy
Apr 16th, 2012, 09:35 PM
No I haven't but Germany has pretty good wholefood chains...so I'll keep my eyes open:-)

Muvesz
Apr 18th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Oh, sheesh. Almost anything, really.
Whenever I spend time in Norway (which will be more and more frequently), I find myself drastically changing my diet. I make it work, but it would be awesome to have more to choose from.

Firestorm
Apr 18th, 2012, 07:14 AM
I would like some of their coconut products (they have loads of coconut ice creams etc) also Tofurky and maybe some of their candy...

harpy
Apr 18th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Liquid Smoke is a US product that was hard to get here at one time, but I don't know if it still is. I think people used to want it because it was used in recipes.

Another one I thought of is lima beans - which you could get in cans in Selfridge's food hall at one point, but nowhere else that I could find. They're used in succotash.

I suppose looking at some US recipe books might uncover a few more ideas although in some cases there would be UK substitutes available for things. For example they have various meat analogues like one called "Gimmelean" which a friend uses to make "meat"balls, but I'm sure there must be an equivalent here.

I can still think of more German things that I would like to buy here, like their 10 zillion types of tofu (including pates and things).

Troutina
Apr 18th, 2012, 10:44 PM
I would love to be able to order Larabar, Luna bars, Clif bars (all varieties), Peanut Butter & Co (all varieties) and about a billion other similar things! I have ordered from iHerb in the past which ships very cheaply to the UK and offers everything that I'm after.

Vegan4Life6
May 3rd, 2012, 11:36 PM
Good idea. I quite liked Daiya the one time I had it but my friend in the US was just telling me it's "gummy" :) Would you do things like shoes as well do you think, as different brands seem to be available over there?

Have you thought of also selling things available in some parts of Europe but not others? I've seen quite a few things in those German and Austrian organic supermarkets that don't seem to be available here.
I use Daiya all the time. It's so good! I use both the Mozzarella and the Cheddar Cheese. I don't find it gummy at all! it's the best vegan cheese out there! :D According to their facebook page they said they will eventually sell their product overseas. They didn't say when though.

peanutbutter
May 6th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Liquid Smoke is a US product that was hard to get here at one time, but I don't know if it still is. I think people used to want it because it was used in recipes.

I've seen it on Amazon. Quite a few US foods can be ordered, fairly reasonably from there. There is also Panzer's in St. John's Wood (I assume you're near London/in it from the Selfridges reference) which stocks American food. I've found a few vegan ingredients I'd found hard to find in Alara Health Food Shop in Bloomsbury - plus their awesome lunch buffet is the best vegan lunch near me.

harpy
May 6th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Thanks peanutbutter - I can't say I feel in need of Liquid Smoke myself but it's nice to know it's there if I want it :) Alara sounds good, will have to go and have a look.

peanutbutter
May 7th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Thanks peanutbutter - I can't say I feel in need of Liquid Smoke myself but it's nice to know it's there if I want it :) Alara sounds good, will have to go and have a look.

OH, you must! They have a good selection of vegan sandwiches and snacks too but the buffet is awesome. I always go in for nutritional yeast/agave and come out with two takeaway boxes full of hot food :o

Firestorm
May 7th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I can't say I feel in need of Liquid Smoke myself

But its so wonderful and smokey!

harpy
May 7th, 2012, 04:51 PM
What do you use it for, Firestorm? I like smokey flavours and do buy smoked tofu now and then but I don't seem to need it for cooking.

Having just burned the toast big time I think I have probably had enough carcinogens to last me a few months :/

Firestorm
May 7th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I use it a couple of times a week, I make tempeh bacon or bacon bits with rehydrated soya mince, bacon flavoured chickpea croutons for roasted potato & broccoli soup, I use it in soups, stews and seitan. I'm lucky as their is a shop in Liverpool that sells it for about £2.20 a bottle.

rosederwelt
May 8th, 2012, 01:33 PM
DAIRY-FREE OREOS. And frozen vegan pizzas seem to be in abundance in the US, too.

peanutbutter
May 24th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I use it a couple of times a week, I make tempeh bacon or bacon bits with rehydrated soya mince, bacon flavoured chickpea croutons for roasted potato & broccoli soup, I use it in soups, stews and seitan. I'm lucky as their is a shop in Liverpool that sells it for about £2.20 a bottle.

How do you make bacon flavoured chickpea croutons, Firestorm?

CoolCat
May 24th, 2012, 09:57 AM
A while back I tried to get food coloring, all I could find here were nasty colors from chemical source. I couldn't even find someone that would sell me samples of industrial used colors. The only place I could order the color I was after was an American web shop. I didn't buy it because the ecological footprint of having a package travel around the globe just to color some food is just crazy. That and I was to cheap to buy a big bottle, pay for shipping costs higher than the price of the product, for something I need a few drops of.

I would still be interested in natural food colors in small batches. If someone knows where to get E100 curcumin (yellow made from turmeric) or other natural food coloring link me.

Firestorm
May 24th, 2012, 06:57 PM
How do you make bacon flavoured chickpea croutons, Firestorm?

The recipe is here (http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=N5F6iUfazHsC&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=roast+broccotato+soup&source=bl&ots=QEOwvAuPmp&sig=6SBVihlpF_NSHr07O35iaOsXI0k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=kNuTT_fyJKbB0QWDtaniAQ&ved=0CGUQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=roast%20broccotato%20soup&f=false), its part of a soup recipe but I make them on their own sometimes and put them in salads etc

bignige
May 25th, 2012, 03:58 PM
Tofurkey slices, burgers and sausages! A health food shop in Solihull used to do the slices but stopped a few years ago. I've not been able to get them in the UK since.

Aurore
Jun 3rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
Tofurkey, because whenever i see a recipe that contains it, i go mad. More chocolate and sweets, i don't eat a lot but it would be nice to branch out. The rest has become more available in supermarkets, or in organic stores so i'm quite happier now than i was a few years ago. My main issue is that the stores, according to their sizes, carry a smaller or larger selection that is never the same so i have to rotate :(

Owei
Jun 18th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Earth Balance spread - far far and away better than anything I've tried in England.

Tofurky Kielbasa - again far better than any of the English 'sausages' we get (although I have recently tried Vegourmet and Vegusto, which are ok).

I bought some fake bacon from Publix, but I can't remember who made it or what it was called - could anyone enlighten me, please? It certainly made Redwood's attempt taste like cardboard (and not particularly good cardboard).

I'm not really a fan of meat analogy products (usually get them for Mrs OWEI), but even I would enjoy the above!

I have to say, England has a long way to go to catch up with America in the quality and range of vegan products available.

thegreenjudy
Jun 18th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys, that really gives me good ideas.
@Firestorm: I am in Liverpool, which shop is that? Mattas?

Firestorm
Jun 18th, 2012, 07:28 PM
@Firestorm: I am in Liverpool, which shop is that? Mattas?

:-)It's Delifonseca (http://www.delifonseca.co.uk/) on Stanley Street, although last time I went (several weeks ago) they had run out