PDA

View Full Version : The Sexy Vegan by Brian L Patton

Firestorm
May 5th, 2012, 02:00 PM
I got this (http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Sexy-Vegan-Cookbook-Extraordinary/dp/1608680452/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336222794&sr=8-1) a couple of weeks ago and it brilliant. A couple of the recipes are quite inventive - I'm just steaming some of the basic seitan and the recipe uses mashed potato to give it a better texture (hopefully make it less chewy).

Just a word of warning - some of the recipe titles are a little rude such as "The S.I.LF" sandwich.

Firestorm
May 6th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Really not impressed with the seitan, it went in the bin. Tried again today using US measures (and less liquid) - the texture is better but still not a patch on other seitan recipes.

EpicLibrarian
May 7th, 2012, 12:19 AM
Keep us updated! I cannot eat seitan because I have a gluten intolerance. I still eat wheat sometimes, but the one time I ate seitan I blew up like a balloon!

Let us know when you try other recipes!

harpy
May 7th, 2012, 01:07 AM
Seems a bit of an odd idea - wash all the starch out of the flour to get gluten and then add some back in in the form of mashed potato? Although it's true mashed potato improves most things :D

Firestorm
May 7th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Seems a bit of an odd idea - wash all the starch out of the flour to get gluten and then add some back in in the form of mashed potato?

:lol:Thats what I thought, but its supposed to help the texture be softer. It doesn't.

I cannot eat seitan because I have a gluten intolerance.

Have you tried Gluten Free Seitan: http://vegancrunk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/gluten-free-seitan.html

EpicLibrarian
May 7th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks Firestorm! I will have to check out that book/recipe!

Firestorm
May 17th, 2012, 07:28 PM
This book has redeemed itself with the "Fat Ass" sandwich. Sub filled with seitan, tempeh bacon & kajillion dressing (mayo, ketchup, mustard & pickled veg). I left out the avocado, but the sandwich was great & I will definitely be making it again

Firestorm
Feb 28th, 2013, 06:28 PM
I have recently made the New England Blam Chowder (Wonderful), Jambalaya (Not so Wonderful) & Pretend Italian Sausages.

Blam Chowder:
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l560/firestorm2011/SDC12182_zpsff82dd91.jpg

Jambalaya made with Pretend Italian Sausages:
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l560/firestorm2011/SDC12206_zpse9e38971.jpg

Blueberries
Feb 28th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Jambalaya (Not so Wonderful)

What do you think made it not-so-wonderful?

Firestorm
Feb 28th, 2013, 09:22 PM
It just tasted like tinned tomatoes over rice:(

Blueberries
Feb 28th, 2013, 10:17 PM
It just tasted like tinned tomatoes over rice:(

Doesn't sound good. I hate tinned tomatoes, they always taste of the tin!

Astrid660
Mar 25th, 2013, 10:09 PM
I made the tuna melt about a month ago and it was okay. I forgot to add the capers, and I just didn't like the tuna-melted cheese aspect as I had never had tuna that way before I went vegan.

However, today I made the chickpea 'tuna' again today with all the proper ingredients. I used dulse instead of seaweed powder and a bit of extra veganaise and celery. I have to say, 10/10. VERY delicious. I had it on some wasa crackers with sliced peppered tomato.

Firestorm
Mar 25th, 2013, 10:47 PM
I'm making the Tuna Melt this Friday, I can't wait to try it, I remember having cheese and tuna in my pre-vegan days but it does seem an odd combination!

Firestorm
Mar 29th, 2013, 02:11 PM
Just finished eating it, it was lovely. Will definitely be making it again

Blueberries
Mar 29th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I'm making the Tuna Melt this Friday..

You plan your meals? You are very organised! I know that you have said before that you are diabetic so I understand that you need to be organised about your food but still, I am impressed! ;)

Firestorm
Mar 29th, 2013, 10:28 PM
I have to admit I plan my meals about 10-15 days in advance (it also helps when I go grocery shopping & when in work as I work in the middle of nowhere so I have to take all my food with me). I do sometimes change my mind on the day, but generally I stick to the plan. I am more relaxed that I used to be, in October 2011 I had planned all my meals up to Christmas day!

Blueberries
Mar 29th, 2013, 11:40 PM
in October 2011 I had planned all my meals up to Christmas day!

Wow! :eek: