PDA

View Full Version : Low-fat dairy alternatives

stirfry
May 12th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Hello,

I only went vegan yesterday, but I have decided to start a weight-loss plan later this week (I feel if I separate them with time I will be less inclined to blame an ethical choice for a dietary failure).

Thing is, it's the south beach diet. The diet calls for a lot of vegetables and lean proteins and good fats, but it relies a lot on low-fat dairy. I was wondering if most dairy alternatives were low-fat and contained no trans-fats, or if I should find something more readily modifiable.

Thank you,
stirfry

Blueberries
May 13th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Heya Stir-fry! First of all I would say that fad diets are not the best way to go for losing weight. Vean diets are generally lower in fat than omni diets (that's if you're eating well, not just junk) so if you eat more vegetables and whole food and exercise more you should be able to lose weight without a fad diet.

A good book to try would be 'Appetite for Reduction', Isa Chandra Moskowitz's low-fat vegan cookbook. I don't have it myself but have heard nothing but good reviews of it.

Lentils
May 13th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Almost all fat in a vegan diet is 'good fat' unless you eat heavily processed stuff but to answer the thread question: Yes they are, or such varities are available.

LouiseAbel
May 13th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Can't you just not replace the dairy? Or put olive oil and avocado in everything instead...

stirfry
May 14th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Ordinarily I would be inclined to do so, Louise, but my mother wanted to do this with me. If it's just not practical, I will do just fruits and veggies and be fine.