PDA

View Full Version : Pilates

cedarblue
May 29th, 2004, 09:03 PM
I've heard lots of good stuff about pilates, anyone here do it and have any opinions? i am interested in getting body suppleness back particularly in my lower back as i occasionally get sciatica and toning up thighs and tum!
:o

Artichoke47
May 29th, 2004, 09:11 PM
I would recommend yoga for toning and stretching. I think Pilates is more geared towards building muscle.

globesetter
May 30th, 2004, 07:28 AM
I've heard lots of good stuff about pilates, anyone here do it and have any opinions? i am interested in getting body suppleness back particularly in my lower back as i occasionally get sciatica and toning up thighs and tum!
:o

I did Pilates for over a year with a private trainer. He moved away, and my life changed, so I couldnīt continue but would like to very much.

Pilates is based on the principle of developing a strong center - i.e. abdomen - and using entire muscles, rather than just bulking up one part, as in weight training, etc. The body gets leaner and lengthened.

It incorporates yoga principles. It is ideal for toning, stretching and lengthening muscles, and developing a strong back. I would highly recommend it - I think the floor exercises donīt really allow the full benefit though - working with a coach on the equipment is the best way to take advantage of it.

There is a spinoff of Pilates called gyrotechnics that incorporates the same priniciples of Pilates with more turning movements. I had one class, and liked it, but I am looking for a better instructor.

good luck -
globesetter

foxytina_69
May 30th, 2004, 07:46 AM
hmmm i did the winsor pilates 20 minute video, three times a week, and got very very fast results.

it doesnt build muscle so much as it lengthens and tones the muscle. its a very fast exercise, fun, not tiring, and it gives u energy. normally i HATE working out but this makes it easy and fun.

Unregistered
May 30th, 2004, 07:24 PM
What is lengthening a muscle all about?

globesetter
May 30th, 2004, 08:22 PM
What is lengthening a muscle all about?

Well, I am not an expert, but as I understand it - when you lift weights or do sports that require lots of strength, the muscles build up in the middle - thatīs why there is a buldge. When you do things like pilates, yoga, running, stretching, the entire muscle get worked and built up - no bulge, just a leanness. Some people actually gain a small bit in height from doing Pilates over a longer period of time. If you do stretching exercises for 20 minutes a day for a week or so, you will already see some of this happening.

regards,
globesetter

Artichoke47
May 31st, 2004, 02:06 AM
I did get about 1/2 inch to 1 inch taller after starting yoga.

cedarblue
Jun 2nd, 2004, 09:52 PM
hmmmm....very interesting, any more info anyone? i try to avoid impact fitness as i find it can set off my sciatica, maybe swimming would be good too?

miss_taken77
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:44 PM
I started doing Pilates this spring for about three weeks (I too used the Windsor video), 20 min a day, 6 days a week, and started feeling very obvious results. You do feel taller and leaner, and I'm convinced that if I had kept going I would have seen results too. Unforunately I had stopped doing pilates, but I'm going to pick it up again this summer.

sosmixchild
Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:19 PM
:cool: When it come to fitness walking is my thing. I don't like gyms, but wanted to give my body a tune up, relax and get fitter. So I thought Pilates looked like a good thing to take up.

It's going well at the moment, like any training the first few times felt a bit brutal, achey afterwards, but i'm feeling more used to it now and you really do feel very relaxed afterwards. I think it's the coordinated breathing and focusing on your breath that does it, very yoga.

Are there any enthusiasts here? And if so, how often do you do it, every day? Every other day? Interested to hear about how you go about it.

kaitlin
Apr 23rd, 2006, 11:45 PM
Just to clarify some things: the purpose of Pilates is not to bulid muscle, it is to improve strength (particularly that of the core) and overall wellness. Pretty much everything stems from the core (pretty much, abdominal area) and builds upon its strength. It is low impact, so lean muscle is created.

blondemummy
Sep 20th, 2007, 02:35 PM
I just finished my certification to teach Pilates! I was a ballet dancer throughout most my life, and I have a almost 2 yr old son....Pilates was pretty much THE excercise that put my body back together after pregnancy! ..... As well as Astanga Yoga, Pilates does guarantee results! Based on the principles of Joseph Pilates and core stabilization!
Definitely try it! :) I do it 5 days/week, but 3 times is great!

scarlett
Jul 29th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Has anyone done pilates to strengthen their (upper) back and neck at all ? Is it a help ?
:)

KayVegan
Jul 29th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Scarlett, I can very much recommend pilates for the upper back. You might want to check out the Mari Winsor pilates dvd's to strengthen the upper back area. Also, it is a great workout for the entire body and you will get to feel and see amazing results even after a short time of practicing it. It has helped me out a lot.

scarlett
Jul 29th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks Kay :) I'll see if I can find that. I have no muscle strength at all in my upper back/neck (I find it difficult to keep my head up!) so I hope it can help to strengthen them up without causing any further damage.

KayVegan
Jul 29th, 2008, 07:55 PM
That sounds bad :(. It should not cause further damage if you take it slow and don't start with the advanced exercises. Each time you practice your back will get stronger. You might want to combine it with Yoga. Hope you will enjoy it! Maybe you can find a preview of Mari Winsor on the internet to get a hint what her exercises are about.