PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat more or less varied food than you did when you were eating meat & dairy?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

kiwi.tyger
May 31st, 2007, 02:31 PM
I have a good recipe for vegan pasties - maybe next time you could do those, then he wouldn't know until it was too late :D

On a more sombre note, my step-cousin (if that makes sense), who is very skinny despite only ever eating fast food and junk, is in hospital with a collapsed lung. The doctors have said that her diet, along with being a smoker, have contributed to this happening so I hope maybe this is a wake-up call. Apparently when she was little she wouldn't eat vegetables, so instead of encouraging her, her mum would just go over the road and buy McDs. Now she has no idea how to cook, and basically doesn't know what a vegetable tastes like. I'm surprised she doesn't have scurvy as well to be honest.

Hmmm... might have to send her some easy vegan recipes...

Frosty
May 31st, 2007, 03:37 PM
Oh my God, that's terrible, I'm sorry to hear that. There is a history of high blood pressure in my family - caused by bad diets. My father became ill last year, was told to at least cut down on the meat intake and eat more vegetables etc, and he is a lot better now. Lost a fair bit of weight as well :) My step mum is used to cooking something for me for when I am round there, so she was quite good with the veggie food with my dad. I think if he was doing it himself it wouldn't have got much further than pasta and rice :D

I'm not exactly mr healthy myself though to be honest - after 18 months of giving not smoking I recently started up again :( About the time the smoking ban came in here as well, ha ha. Where's the sense in that? Although, I do remember when my ex went to uni and registered with her doctors he said that due to her healthy veg diet, her smoking (she used to socially smoke at the time) wasn't really that much of a health problem. Bit of a bizarre thing for a doctor to say in my opinion, but hey.

dreama
May 31st, 2007, 06:04 PM
I have a good recipe for vegan pasties - maybe next time you could do those, then he wouldn't know until it was too late :D

On a more sombre note, my step-cousin (if that makes sense), who is very skinny despite only ever eating fast food and junk, is in hospital with a collapsed lung. The doctors have said that her diet, along with being a smoker, have contributed to this happening so I hope maybe this is a wake-up call. Apparently when she was little she wouldn't eat vegetables, so instead of encouraging her, her mum would just go over the road and buy McDs. Now she has no idea how to cook, and basically doesn't know what a vegetable tastes like. I'm surprised she doesn't have scurvy as well to be honest.

Hmmm... might have to send her some easy vegan recipes...

Oh dear! I hope she sees sense and goes vegan.

It reminds me of an Australian relative. My uncle's grand children. He will only eat Mcdonalds food! and they thought I was fussy. Actually I used to be really fussy before I became vegan. No veg to speak of unless you count tomato ketchup and chips. My folks did try to make me eat veg. In fact they insisted on it and I can remember lots of unpleasant scenes at the dinner table. However, I simply stopped eating veg as soon as I was old enough to get away with it.

drunkenunicorn
Jun 8th, 2007, 07:12 PM
if you dont eat a more varied diet now that you're vegan, you're probably malnourished. and malnourished vegans really really piss me off. a healthy vegan eats from the vegan six food groups (see wikipedia's vegan nutrition page) and eats something from each group every day. its impossible to do this and eat meat and dairy and eggs and stuff. so by definition, if you eat less varied food now, or stayed the same since veganism, you're not getting enough nutrients. and thats lame.

pavotrouge
Jun 9th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Well, I don't think there's much of a difference between vegan, vegetarians, omnis or whatever diet- you will lack nutritients if you don't eat varied foods with any diet!

Robert
Jun 9th, 2007, 10:15 PM
I make much more of an effort now to try different vegetables, salad greens and legumes than when I was eating meat. This is really in an effort to keep myself from getting bored with my diet.

emzy1985
Jun 15th, 2007, 10:57 AM
As an omnivore I ate a staple diet of chicken and potato. I hated nearly all vegetables and was quite anemic. (sp??) When I went vegetarian I feasted on dairy and eggs and still wasn't eating hardly any vegetables. When I went vegan my palet changed completely. For some unknown reason I liked vegetables and wanted to eat them all the time and less and less meat substitutes. Now I make a habit of trying a least one new food a week and incorporate it into a dish. Maaaan I love food! This is making me hungry!!!

frank language
Jun 15th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I like knowing what's on my plate, rather than some "mystery meat;" it also floors me when I put a meal together for my vegan dog and it actually smells like food; I find myself thinking, "I could actually eat this!"

misssoya
Jun 16th, 2007, 05:18 AM
i eat and actually cook much more! I experiment lots, make up my own meals. half of time it goes wrong! n.mind its edible! am getting better!! made my own pizza other day, was excellent: tofu sliced thinly, vine ripe tomatoes and pesto(yum) and oregano. It was excellent! and i almost forgot i sprinkled vegan mozzarela cheese on!!!http://www.veganforum.com/forums/images/icons/icon7.gif

emzy1985
Jun 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Mmmm pesto!!!

HelenSD
Jun 16th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I have much greater variety in my diet now than when i was omni (just over a year ago) though im not sure whether thats down to my change in diet, or the fact that ive actually learnt to cook..

Russ
Jul 23rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Much more varied food. I'm constantly trying new things ... just yesterday I ate aubergine for the first time ... I love it :D

Before going vegan I think I probably ate the same three vegetables over and over again

steven1222
Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM
By the numbers, I have eaten more varied food recently: 666 different items in the last 205 days. That is misleading because it hides the fact that most of my calories have come from wheat products recently. In that way, there was more variety before. I abstain from this poll because I could argue either way.

Astrid
Aug 10th, 2007, 03:36 PM
As most of you have already said: going vegan definitely made the diet more varied. It has opened up a whole new world of ingredients I wasn't familiar with, and both cooking and eating is more fun and enjoyable. People who say we're missing out on anything, haven't got a clue! :D

soulfree
Aug 12th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Definitely more varied. Before being vegan my diet consisted of hungry jacks, kfc, mcdonalds & souvlakis. Believe it or not before becoming vegan I never ate any of the following: Avocadoes, brocolli, brusell sprouts, cauliflower, bok choy, snow peas, pumpkin... well you get the idea. Now I feast on everything veg. Plus I have discovered buckwheat, quinoa, cous cous, millet and lots more. I also now eat a lot more raw nuts and seeds. I also have a dehydrator so I make lots of yummie things in that. And I have a soy milk maker so I make lots of nut milks. And I have a juicer so I make heaps of yummie juices. (I love my toys, what can I say :D). And I have to say I am still discovering new foods through forums like this. What a wonderful world of food it is.

MarkAnthony
Aug 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I definitely eat more varied food, it's still mostly junk though, haha. Learning to cook has opened my eyes to whole different types of cuisine/types of food.

curiousponda
Aug 13th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Most people will stick to traditional foods, foods that they're used to- for a lot of people today, those are non-vegan dishes such as hamburgers and french fries, chicken noodle soup, macaroni and cheese. It is human nature (er...I think) to be uneasy with changes, therefore meat-eaters are perfectly content to stick to the same diet if it is comforting to them.
Becoming vegan takes that meat-and-potatoes security blanket away from you and you're kinda forced to explore new foods.
...And alas, it is discovered what a beautiful thing variety is!

twinkle
Aug 14th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Since I started my new job I've encountered two people (omnivores, supposedly ;)) who had never eaten a kiwi fruit. And these were middle aged people! I find that weird.

Jippia
Aug 14th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I try to eat more varied food, but not as much as I would if I were single. My husband does not like everything and that limits my range of recipes. Still, I am trying to break out of the routine and to find new recipes that are to his liking.

Mirjam

Gorilla
Aug 15th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Since I started my new job I've encountered two people (omnivores, supposedly ;)) who had never eaten a kiwi fruit. And these were middle aged people! I find that weird.

when i went to uni i met a girl (omni) who'd never eaten pizza or cottage cheese. :confused: :p

pavotrouge
Aug 17th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I know stories like that... whenever I mention chickpeas, a collegue says "Well but I don't eat peas"...

Cup'O'Tea
Aug 17th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Definitely more varied as vegan, even more than as a vegetarian.

I think less options = more need for creativity, so I'm far more likely now to throw a bunch of good ingredients together and see what comes of them now, whereas before I'd just eat pizza pockets and frozen dinners and crap.

I love cooking now, more than ever.

eclectic_one
Aug 17th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I agree, I love cooking more than ever now that I'm vegan...I still don't like the chopping bit much though;) But I'm not sure I think that there are "less options"...I've learned of so many ingredients I never even knew about (i.e., nutritional yeast, quinoa, seitan, etc.) that I just have to find ways to experiment with them:D I was just thinking last night, after I ate a bowl of lentil-quinoa stew (from "La Dolce Vegan"--except I added frozen broccoli and didn't process it at all), how much better I feel when I eat after having become vegan...not just "full," but fullfilled in many ways:)

xrodolfox
Aug 29th, 2007, 06:06 AM
I eat a lot more veriety. But that might also be a function of adulthood. ?

My father, the consumate omnivore, eats a greater veriety than anyone I've ever met.

Spud Addict
Sep 3rd, 2007, 12:01 AM
More now, but initially much less.