PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat more or less varied food than you did when you were eating meat & dairy?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

mjnewbould
Sep 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Certainly for me it is much more varied - each week I use one cookery book and take the main meals for that week from it - putting in Old favourites every so often. I discover the most fanastic meals doing this. This week it is Demuth's of bath cookbook - Green world - last night was a fantastic butternut squash and mushroom risotto - but for a change i used Spelt instead of rice - it was delicious!

cherrywisp
Nov 30th, 2007, 06:33 PM
You know this is actually a really cool question, I thought about this myself a lot...I eat SO many different things now, a lot more than I used to. Before it was like every day was the same food.

KrissStress
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:23 PM
same with me. When I ate animal stuff, I just ate whatever was around. Nowadays I have so many more options and so many ways to prepare things that I never get tired of anything I make (and I usually make enough at times to store more for additional meals later on).

I would think I probably eat the same amount as I used to when eating meat. I do snack more though because of fruits and things like that.

fondducoeur
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I learned how to cook and found out that I love it!
I am constanly making recipes for food I have never tried, whereas before if I cooked it was too attempt something I had eaten before.
Also, I eat food from cultures all over the world. I wasn't a picky eater before, but didn't go out of my way to try a lot of new things either.

I heart vegan food:)

Lifeonmars
Aug 27th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I used to be afraid of cooking and hated it, now I am an adventurer in the kitchen.

Josef
Aug 27th, 2008, 10:30 AM
i only ever remember eating pasta and mcdonald's when i was carnivorous. then i graduated to a diet of egg and cheese breakfast burritos when i went vegetarian. i hadn't even tried avocados until age 20, post veganism. when i ate animal derived food, eating felt more like an addiction that needed satisfying than real sustenance.

Sarah_
Aug 27th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Like most of you here, I eat a lot more varied things. Before I was vegan. I would never even think about walking to a Vietnamese food store and checking things out, or even picking up a cookbook for that matter! :O Everything was just too complicated or too weird. Now I'm learning to branch out and thinking of different ways in which to use specific foods. Also, I'm learning to cook! Before it was Ramen noodles, spaghetti, hot dogs, chicken fingers, pork chops and potatos, etc. I still have vegan forms of these things, but I also have lots of other foods as well! I never thought of food as something exciting, but now just being on the food section of this forum or shopping at a Whole Foods is fun for me.

pavotrouge
Aug 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM
aaaw why can't there be a Whole Foods on Continental Europe!

sugarmouse
Aug 30th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I agree I find food and cooking,preparing, shopping, FUN now!I used be alot more scared of it!Veganism has done my eating disorder good.I hav to talk about food now, because folk always ask about it.Though there wasnt ever a black and white for me, even when I was vegetarian, dairy featured very little,prob more so when I ate out because cheese seems to be such a vegetarian staple :mad: but then I was so terrified of eating in public that that was very seldom an occasion.

clueless
Aug 30th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I definitely eat a wider variety of foods now. I have tried new foods that previously I wouldn't wanted to have tried and being vegan has opened my eyes to all of the different foods out there that are amazingly good for you :)

Aims
Sep 4th, 2008, 05:26 AM
I eat a lot more varied food now. Even more so after going vegan than when I was vegetarian (because then it was like the whole "substitute meat for lots of dairy and eggs!!" thing).

AliBlack
Sep 7th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Much more varied when I was veggie than when I ate meat, and MUCH more varied now as a vegan!

rxseeeyse
May 4th, 2010, 07:55 PM
at least I never eat beans before, but now I eat them a lot...and I also drink soy milk which I rarely do before...

RhegHimself
Aug 27th, 2010, 12:59 PM
A vegan diet is definitely more varied, as you just can't walk around a supermarket and pick up whatever, because you have to check and pay much more attention so you notice new things. Plus you discover new shops on the epic quest that is a vegan shopping trip (although the longer you're vegan the easier it becomes) and in the veganisation of dishes you have to experiment with new products and ingredients, and therefore try new things.