PDA

View Full Version : Do you eat more or less varied food than you did when you were eating meat & dairy?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Korn
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Some people say they eat animal products because they 'like variation'. Personally I eat more varied food now than when I was eating meat - what about you?

Aurora
Feb 27th, 2005, 11:12 AM
I am more adventurous now with my food. I got very boring and lazy and didn't eat enough fruit and veg. Now my meals even look more exciting and colourful and have far more taste to them.

Poison Ivy
Feb 27th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I think that when you eat meat and dairy there is a tendency to rely on ready-prepared foods, hence after changing over to vegan 'diet' a variety of food's is more prevalent as you have to cook and prepare most (if not every) meal from scratch as there is a distinct lack of vegan convenience food available (which is not a bad thing really IMO). :)

FR
Feb 27th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Way more!

I'll practically eat anything vegan aside from stuff with GMO's, artificial flavors/colors, mushrooms/stuff with mushrooms, and bleached flour.

ETA ... and avocados as I am allergic to them.

feline01
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:03 PM
There are so many items that I had never eaten before becoming vegan and I definitely consume loads more varieties of fruit and veg. I find cooking more exciting now, food is more colorful and alive. I rarely cooked food as an omni anyway, never liked the blood.

Love
Feb 27th, 2005, 03:13 PM
Since becoming vegan we now live out of no less than 6 vegan recipie books which means that the variety of tastes and textures we know enjoy is infinitely wider than before :D
With love from Love.XXX.

John
Feb 27th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Ug. All the omelettes I ate and glasses of milk I drank trying to get that "precious protein" while ignoring fruits and vegetables.

Leigh
Feb 28th, 2005, 01:10 AM
I also was pretty lazy about food before being vegan. Now I enjoy cooking and making interesting meals. And it's been much kinder on my food budget too! ;)

Steph
Feb 28th, 2005, 01:46 AM
Tonight I had dinner over my mom and dad's with my brother and sister. They all had roast pork, gravy, mashed potatos with greasy fat gravy. When we started eating my brother (a die-hard meat eater) looked over at my plate filled to the TOP with salad, fruit salad, mixed warm vegetables and boca burger on the side, looked over at his bland plate, and said, "wow, your plate lookes so colorful! It looks really beautiful, full of colors, like a painting". We then all got into a conversation bout factory farming, it was short but kind of productive. It seems just a little bit they are becoming more aware of what is happening, and were actually more open to discussion about it, rather than the usual "we don't want to know or talk about this".
My sis said, "I've actually thought about becoming vegetarian, but what would 1 person, me, out of billions of people, how could that help change things?"
I told her, "you plus me plus others, times every other 1 person who refuses to eat meat, in the end that adds up to alot of people making their voices heard."
I hope they keep thinking about it.

Roxy
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:02 AM
I find that I am more willing to try new foods now, compared to when I wasn't vegan.

Geoff
Feb 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM
My sis said, "I've actually thought about becoming vegetarian, but what would 1 person, me, out of billions of people, how could that help change things?"
I told her, "you plus me plus others, times every other 1 person who refuses to eat meat, in the end that adds up to alot of people making their voices heard."
I hope they keep thinking about it.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed individuals can change the world, Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has - Margaret Mead

snaffler
Feb 28th, 2005, 02:15 PM
This is very true veggies and vegans tend to eat far more variety - hence the usual what do you eat question from the meat and two veg gang who tackle us vegans on our diets.

When I asked a friend who fully respects my vegtan diet what he at he came out with a long list of food but it was not variety it was either cow or chicken with different flavours from jars....and a few vegtable just boiled thats it.

I may be wrong but the reason meat eaters tend to think vegtables are boring is the fact they are still boiling the goodness out of them with 4 tablespoons of salt. Then adding some kind of animal and endless amounts of beef based gravy ugghhhh....

When I went through the extensive list of vegan foods I was he asked me endless questions with interest whats this?, whats that?, never thought of doing it that way.....he wants me to make something as he is very interested !.

Tigerlily
Feb 28th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Since I've become vegan, I cook a lot of my own foods. I experiment with new recipes and spices and meal combinations that I would never have bothered to try as a omni.

citameht
Mar 4th, 2005, 10:06 AM
I eat less varied food as a vegan. Granted, in theory I'm more positive about experimenting & variation, but as I eat at home six times a week, the practice is that I choose food on other basis than "variation". Convenience perhaps being the most important.

l337_v3g4n_1
Mar 4th, 2005, 02:31 PM
I eat way more varied food now, more delicious food too!
I remember as an omni (I can't stand thinking about that! YuuucK!) I often did't finish my food or didn' like it, now as a Vegan, I love every meal! Lot's of fresh veggies and mushrooms and herbs and spices, yum!

Damn it, I love being Vegan!

l337_v3g4n_1
Mar 4th, 2005, 02:33 PM
^^about that damn it, I ment it in a "happy" damnit, if someone got it wrong:)

Mystic
Mar 4th, 2005, 11:50 PM
ETA ... and avocados as I am allergic to them.

That is the most horrible thing I have ever heard :eek:

I chose that my diet is less varied, but that is only coz I am lazy and I can't cook very well. Also, my Mum was alive when I wasn't vegan and she used to cook for me. I have to say that although I may not eat a more varied diet, I am AWARE of more foods, like for example tempeh, quinoa, millet, seitan etc...

Kiva Dancer
Mar 9th, 2005, 04:51 PM
I eat waaaaaayyy more variation now than I did as an omni.

And it's prettier, too. :D

dreama
Mar 15th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I have more variety in my diet since becoming a vegan. When I was a fishitarian/omnivore I used to be a really fussy eater. I think I may have had a mild alergy to dairy products without even really noticing as I'm far less fussy as to what I eat now.

RockyRaccoon
Mar 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Got to be more varied. I've tried so many things for the first time since becoming vegan, loads of them I never even knew existed. Food is so much more fun now.

Cal
Apr 25th, 2005, 02:24 AM
Got to be more varied. I've tried so many things for the first time since becoming vegan, loads of them I never even knew existed. Food is so much more fun now.
That sums up my experience too. :) Food is definitely more fun now, yum!! :D

Mozbee
May 8th, 2005, 02:10 PM
I used to rely very heavily on baked beans (with chopped up cheese) in a pitta bread before I took the leap of sanity! :)

DianeVegan
May 8th, 2005, 05:44 PM
I was a huge cook before becoming vegan. Now I can make a "cream" sauce with tofu, nuts or beans. Who knew? How about "ice cream" out of tofu or cashews? About 20 different ways of making burgers? Agave nectar, date sugar, beets and prunes in baking? Seitan marinated to taste like whatever you want, and then you can bake it, coat it in nuts, in cornmeal, sautee it. And tempeh! And egg replacer, flax "eggs", tofu cream cheese, tofu sour cream, okay tofu just about anything. I had exhausted everything I could do with animal products before becoming vegan. Now I'm experimenting not only with new tastes, but with new ways of using food.

My husband says the kitchen looks like a science experiment. But he's not complaining :)

Oh, and I don't have to hand out LactAid tablets before dinner anymore. It's still funny to me that people will take a pill in order to eat something their body is rejecting!

sylkan
May 8th, 2005, 09:15 PM
There are so many items that I had never eaten before becoming vegan and I definitely consume loads more varieties of fruit and veg. I find cooking more exciting now, food is more colorful and alive. I rarely cooked food as an omni anyway, never liked the blood.

Even when I was omni, I cooked lots, but rarely with meat. It wasn't the blood; I just never liked cooking with something that could kill me if I ate it raw.

sylkan
May 8th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Oh, and I don't have to hand out LactAid tablets before dinner anymore. It's still funny to me that people will take a pill in order to eat something their body is rejecting!

That blows me away too! It goes to show the kind of iron grip the milk industry has over the general population: "eat our products...even if they are killing you!"