PDA

View Full Version : Top 50: Comments from non-vegans

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Yoggy
Dec 19th, 2005, 06:29 PM
my bf's grandad had a go at me today. he said "man has been eating meating for ever" and he simply REFUSED to believe that i was getting nutrients and that "we need meat or we don't have all the right nutrients in us!" he's a harmless bloke, but he was CONVINCED i wasn't getting nutrients, yet he's the one with type2 diabetes, overweight and respiratory problems....sometimes its best to just take the abuse :o
I run into that a lot. People who state the same "argument" over and over and refuse to consider the possibility that there might be another way of looking at things. That's why I changed my signature ;) .

princessemma
Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:16 PM
The nastiest comment I got was in our local subway, we'd been customers there since it opened. When I told the woman serving I didn't want cheese she asked why not and I told her as a family we were all going vegan. She said that I was being cruel (to my daughter now 3). My family keep telling me that she has changed and she's got no energy, which I know is complete and utter b****cks. They are trying to worry me into giving her dairy and eggs again. I just nod my head and ignore them.
Surely every parent pushes their beliefs on their children be it veganism, religion whatever. I never 'choose' to eat meat as a child it was put on my plate and I ate it but I don't keep complaining that they forced their opinions on me, I just accept they did what they believed was best for me at the time.
Another stupid comment I heard was via a fellow member of the local veggie's and vegans group. She recently organised a meal out and called one place, when she asked for vegan food the chief said 'Well if you want to eat like that I can't be held responsible if you get ill' needless to say we are not eating at the aforementioned establishment! Since over 99% of sickness and food poisioning comes from meat, fish, shell-fish, dairy or eggs it would have to be a pretty grotty place if they could manage to make a vegan sick!

Hemlock
Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:05 PM
my bf's grandad had a go at me today. he said "man has been eating meating for ever" and he simply REFUSED to believe that i was getting nutrients and that "we need meat or we don't have all the right nutrients in us!" he's a harmless bloke, but he was CONVINCED i wasn't getting nutrients, yet he's the one with type2 diabetes, overweight and respiratory problems....sometimes its best to just take the abuse :o

I've had smokers telling me my diet is unhealthy. How is it possible to be so stupid and still live?:rolleyes:

cedarblue
Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:24 PM
the other day to me "go on have a (milk) chocolate - its christmas!!"
:(

gaia
Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:25 PM
I was greeted Christmas Eve with "What are you going to eat?" even though I had brought succotash and sugar maple pecans with me, and there were other foods appropriate for me to eat. If I couldn't gorge myself on several platefuls of animal products apparently I was going to be hungry. And then as I was eating my plate of delicous food - not bothering anyone - my smoking, overweight sister starts giving me a hardtime - I just finished eating and went to hang out with the kids.

LunaVanillaVega
Feb 5th, 2006, 02:23 PM
If someone asks me about my diet/lifestyle, I'll share my experiences and give out a few facts. If an omni is interested, willing to listen, and is open to consider my point of view, I'll have a friendly debate.

However, I pick and choose my battles carefully these days . . .

I used to debate and sometimes argue with ALL omnis, and furwearers, and hunters . . . I've tried to share my opinions, show them the truth, and offer good arguments to support an animal-friendly lifestyle . . .

But now, I don't bother to debate with people who refuse to listen and consider other points of view. I refer them to websites with all the facts -- whenever they want to become informed, the info is there for them to read at their leisure.

I've had very few friends (outside of the internet) who were vegetarian or vegan and I've even had a few who supported "respectful" hunting, and yes, even some who bought commerical fur . . .

But, I find that I am becoming less tolerant of people who selfishly disrespect animals. I no longer have anything to do with people who hunt (the only "respectful" hunting is not hunting at all.) I only have one friend now who still buys fur on occation, but, she knows I think it's evil and gross and so usually, she remembers not to wear any of it when she's around me (I think she got sick of the dirty looks, eye rolling, and open bashing coming from my mouth, teehee!)

Everyone has a right to have an opinion. But, not every opinion is right.
Veganism and kindness towards animals is the way to go, no matter what ignorant people have to say about it!

DoveInGreyClothing
Mar 13th, 2006, 11:45 PM
45) We need animal products for protein, iron, cholesterol, Omega-3, sinc, calcium etc. [No, we don’t. Try a book!]

][/b]
Wow, I'd never even thought of trying a book!!! All these new foods I've tried since going vegan.... seaweed, seeds, hummus... now books!!

Korn
Mar 14th, 2006, 09:27 AM
:) Yesterday I actually heard of a woman who had these weird cravings during her pregnancy - for.... wallpaper!

catmogg
Mar 14th, 2006, 12:30 PM
Korn, excellent list with great comebacks that won't antagonise people!! Really helpful.

When I tell people im vegan they often say;

'It must be really hard eating out, doesn't it affcet your social life having to be so careful'

To which i usually reply, 'What social life?' :D No, i usually list all the things im doing that week and ask them if they want to come along!! :D

I also notice that people start looking at me very closely and feel able to make personal comments about my physical appearance, like; 'Is that why your so thin, cos your vegan, do you eat enough?' The implication here is that im only vegan cos im starving myself. I resent this a little but usually reply by taking their comment as a compliment, i.e: 'It's nice to be slim but i've always been this way. A vegan diet is very healthy, which is great but i actually went vegan for compassionate reasons. Today, i've eaten...' :cool:
I must admit, i do sometimes feel like retorting; 'yeah, i'm slim and healthy cos im vegan, do you rekon your (insert: rude/ bad tempered/ whatever) cos you eat meat? ' :o I know, I know. But i never say it. :p

Conrad
Jun 26th, 2006, 09:25 AM
I always get some kind of comment about salads, like eating salad all the time must get boring, or what do you eat besides salad

princessemma
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:51 PM
My friend, bless her is an omni and she said 'I respect what you do but I couldn't do it cause I'm too damn selfish'

June
Jul 9th, 2006, 02:17 PM
I think the worst comment I've gotten was, "I don't get vegetarians and vegans, one person can't change the world." Poor guy...

Also, "...you can't get enough protein without meat or dairy." :rolleyes:

Pilaf
Jul 9th, 2006, 03:56 PM
My friend, bless her is an omni and she said 'I respect what you do but I couldn't do it cause I'm too damn selfish'

Funny...I became vegan because I'm so damn selfish.;)

I think the worst comment I've gotten was, "I don't get vegetarians and vegans, one person can't change the world." Poor guy...

10 million can...

Also, "...you can't get enough protein without meat or dairy." :rolleyes:

"Oh really? I guess magic sustains me, then! Beware my POWAHS!"

June
Jul 9th, 2006, 05:23 PM
"Oh really? I guess magic sustains me, then! Beware my POWAHS!"

:D I've got to remember that one!

null_void
Jul 9th, 2006, 07:12 PM
:) Yesterday I actually heard of a woman who had these weird cravings during her pregnancy - for.... wallpaper!

What was it I heard? A co-worker who is pregnant had a midwife tell her that these cravings are a sign of... low Iron, I think? And not that uncommon. I might be mixing this up a little, but it was something like that (paper in general, I think).

Daffy
Aug 10th, 2006, 05:41 AM
The old stand-by that fish don't feel pain/distress is a crock. Just as the idea that animals don't have emotions is complete twaddle.

I think some people choose to believe otherwise to justify eating meat. As was pointed out earlier, "Ignorance is bliss"!

I saw David Attenborough interviewed once and he acknowledged that even spiders have their own individual personality traits. I wouldn't go so far as to say insects experience emotion, but who knows?

Just to be safe, I never squish anything... ;)

Vegan cat
Aug 10th, 2006, 09:55 AM
When I talk about not eating animals and not testing etc I hate it when people say stuff like " Well humans are the stronger more intelligent species!" saying that that makes it all ok.

fiamma
Aug 10th, 2006, 10:24 AM
A woman recently told me that if your muscles are aching you should drink milk or cream to take the ache away. Something to do with lactic acid buildup.... :eek: :D

sandra
Aug 10th, 2006, 11:17 AM
What an annoying, stupid thing for someone to say fiamma! What annoys me is when someone non-vegan says something like that, it is so ludicrous that I am lost for words. I am literally left speechless, when really I should be putting them straight!

fiamma
Aug 10th, 2006, 11:25 AM
I've learned to choose my battles wisely - this woman has made me lose my rag on a couple of occasions already (she owns the pet shop under my flat) so I just smile sweetly - arguing with her is like talking to a brick wall. She is blind ignorant and can get kind of nasty too. As they say here, "buon viso, cattivo gioco", meaning "inside I am raging but outside I am calm and smiling" :)

sandra
Aug 10th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I know that feeling only too well! :)

rianaelf
Aug 10th, 2006, 12:18 PM
that nonsense about how we have canine teeth is one of the things that annoys me the most and also that its natural to drink milk.
yeah, sure it's natural to drink milk, our mothers milk. not some other creatures mothers milk and if they go on drinking that till they are old then they wonder why their bones are deteriorating, well what do they expect if they keep on drinking food meant for a baby when they are a fully grown adult, serves them b****y well right !!

cedarblue
Aug 10th, 2006, 02:03 PM
A woman recently told me that if your muscles are aching you should drink milk or cream to take the ache away. Something to do with lactic acid buildup.... :eek: :D

that kind of remard just makes me laugh now! in fact the more i think about someone actually saying it the more funny it becomes. try and think how ludicrously funny it is next time you see her coming, you will naturally smile - and she wont know why :D

sandra
Aug 10th, 2006, 02:13 PM
That's a good idea! I think I'm stalking you cedarblue, I actively search out where you've been posting! :)

cedarblue
Aug 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM
i'd like to think its me but i'm afraid you just want me for my avatar:(