PDA

View Full Version : "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11

mmmorgans
Aug 26th, 2010, 07:20 PM
i've actually forgotten what a lot of non vegan food tastes like, is it just me or has it happened to anybody else?
I wouldn't say I have forgotten but I certainly don't miss non vegan food. Some things like cheese are hard to find good substitutes but I have gone into it with the mindset of vegan food is not always going to taste like the real thing but it is ALWAYS better.

RhegHimself
Aug 27th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Vegan food smells better cooking as well i think, i can't stand the smell of cooking cheese anymore, and bacon, everybody says its the one thing that they miss, but it smells horrible to me now.

BearFruit
Sep 5th, 2010, 09:06 PM
Vegan food smells better cooking as well i think, i can't stand the smell of cooking cheese anymore, and bacon, everybody says its the one thing that they miss, but it smells horrible to me now.

Yeah I can't stand the smell of fat cooking from meat - especially when its on one of those george foreman grills and the fat drips off into that little bowl..it smells awful and I hate it!

I think vegan food tastes better because vegan food doesn't make me feel fat, heavy and lethargic - it gives more to me than it takes.

RhegHimself
Sep 6th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Another annoying thing about this is when meat eaters say that vegan food is bland, but then they put ketchup, mustard, brown sauce, soy sauce on their meat! all of those are vegan! salt and pepper are vegan! herbs are vegan! spices are vegan! but apparently vegan food is bland despite the fact that they use vegan bloody food to make their apparently already tasty meat taste better!

Charley333
Sep 6th, 2010, 09:07 PM
salt and pepper are vegan! herbs are vegan! spices are vegan! but apparently vegan food is bland despite the fact that they use vegan bloody food to make their apparently already tasty meat taste better!

I hear you! I eat just as much from scratch now as I did before I became a vegan (never much one for ready meals etc), but I eat so much more variety as a vegan. Before, I had a repetoire of meat filled meals that we would have every week, and if they didn't have meat, they were cheesy, creamy pasta dishes. Now, I am more than willing to pick a page of a cookbook at random and just try whatever is there. I eat so much better as a vegan because I am opening myself up to such a wide range of foods I never would have considered trying. I don't remember what sausages really tasted like, or cheddar cheese I used to grate on everything, and I feel so much better for it.

rainbow
Sep 13th, 2010, 09:05 PM
I have never eaten bacon, and the smell of it cooking most certainly does *not* make me want to eat it - it makes me want to puke! Most non-vegan things stink if you're not used to them. Things like cake do smell good, but eggs frying or meat cooking is just revolting. (And hey, vegan cakes smell good too!)
Moby once compared the grim red and white monotony of the supermarket meat section to the rainbow of colour in the produce section. I haven't eaten enough non-vegan food to know how it tastes, but it looks disgusting, smells disgusting and its origins are extremely disgusting, so I just can't imagine why anyone would consider it superior to the delicious, healthy, compassionate vegan food that I love. I think most people just go with what they know. My preferred means of encouraging people to contemplate veganism is to expose them to delicious vegan food. For those who simply don't want to know about the horrors of factory farming, it is still progress to enlighten them as to the delights of vegan cuisine. I don't think there is anyone left in my main social circle who still has any prejudice against vegan food; and every vegan thing they sample is a meat or dairy thing that they didn't eat. (Any excuse to make another cake...)

RhegHimself
Sep 15th, 2010, 08:35 PM
once you master vegan baking, veganism takes on a whole new level, everythings better with cake.

Festered
Sep 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM
I still haven't mastered that.

VeganVicky
Sep 20th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I dont miss any animal product at all... more tastier and healthier :)

RhegHimself
Sep 25th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Festered try looking at www.veganbaking.net (http://www.veganbaking.net) its very useful

Clueless Git
Sep 29th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Sometimes people ask if it's possible to make as good food without animal products as it is with. For people who are used to put butter, milk, cream, cheese etc. in their meals it's a very natural question to ask, because they simply don't know without having tried other ways of getting the results they want. What do you think?
'Lo Korn, all :)

I don't think I've ever taken vegan food to a buffet or BBQ that hasn't totally upstaged the 'best' of the non-vegan stuff there.

Think it's the fact that good vegan food has flavour that isn't just a variation on the taste of the very limited range of dead stuff that non-vegans usualy depend upon for any flavour in their meals at all.

emzy1985
Sep 29th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I often have food at work that smells really nice and the guys often comment on such a smell. :D Sometimes I even let them try some! :D

ciderlover
May 19th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Having just gone from vegetarian to vegan and just chucked three vegan brands of cheese in the bin i would have to say worse.

Sha Ri A
May 19th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I definitely think the range of foods that I eat has massively improved, as have my cooking skills. I became veggie when I was 8, so 19 years ago, and then vegan more recently. I still miss the "idea" of the taste of cheese, but as for actual cheese, if it was in front of me I know the smell and knowledge of how that cheese came to be grosses me out. I didn't like the taste and texture of most meats as a child anyway,I drank soy milk even before I was vegan and I always described milk as tasting "thick and mucous-y" ,without knowing about all of the wrongness that is in it. So yes, my meals definitely taste better now. Having just learnt how to make seitan from flour I have become slightly addicted to the possibilities. I guess I just don't view them as meat substitutes but as tasty things totally separate from meat.

Having just gone from vegetarian to vegan and just chucked three vegan brands of cheese in the bin i would have to say worse.

I have never found a vegan "cheese" that tastes like cheese, though some have a "cheese-like" flavour when added to soups. I think the trick is in not viewing them as a replacement for cheese, but as something in it's own right if that makes sense. It depends what you want to use it for. I have heard from my omni ex that one of the brands of melting "mozzarella" was pretty tasty, though haven't tried it myself, and have made pretty good mac and "cheese, and cauliflower "cheese" using nutritional yeast and high quality smoked paprika. I can give you some recipes if you'd like, ciderlover?

taekvideo
May 20th, 2013, 03:09 AM
Before becoming vegan my diet consisted of frozen french toast sticks, frozen chicken nuggets, frozen waffles, ...etc. Not exactly gourmet to begin with lol.
I have a much healthier diet now, with mostly foods I prepare myself... not a great cook yet though and usually eat the same food everyday like I did before (except now it's vegan, and not nutritionally deficient).

So I'd say the same as far as taste atm.. but I'm not really picky about food like that... perfectly fine with eating the same bland foods everyday if it's cheap & healthy (& vegan).

Clueless Git
May 20th, 2013, 09:09 AM
I have never found a vegan "cheese" that tastes like cheese, though some have a "cheese-like" flavour when added to soups.
Have you ever experimented with nutritional yeast flakes?

By my taste buds that stuff is more cheesey than anything else (vegan) you can get your hands on. A sprinkle of that on top of any oven baked dish gives it the 'au gratin' flavour and it makes a totally FO vegan cheesey sauce too!

Oh, and welcome to the forum, btw :)

Andy_T
May 20th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Ciderlover, sorry to hear about your experiences. Have you tried Vegusto's "No-moo" brand?

I find that to be pretty much the closest to dairy cheese that I have found (and I also tossed a few vegan cheese in the bin when I was still experimenting)
Regards, andy

Clueless Git
May 20th, 2013, 09:15 AM

Dairy cheese, apparently, contains an opiate called caseo-morphine. That may, partialy at least, explain why; 1. People miss/crave dairy cheese. 2. Why nothing else tastes quite the same.

Cacique
May 20th, 2013, 09:55 AM
I find the food to be much better, but as for things like cheese it all depends on what dish it's going to. Daiya and the new Go Veggie i think they're called, the shreds are great for pizza/calzones. Daiya now has cheese slices, tried the swiss and found it really good on a burger. Like everyone else said, nutritional yeast is great to sprinkle on for a somewhat cheddary type flavor, and there's a parmesan type sprinkle on cheese that I found to be pretty good.

I find most cheese, even the ones I mentioned (except for the swiss slices) taste off when not prepared on food. Daiya isn't good out of the bag, but delicious in pizza. Did you by any chance try the cheese by itself? And what brands did you try?

herbert
May 20th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Nothing compares! The food world has really been opened up to me , the variety and choices of food are just endless : that can't be said for a carnivore diet and yes I think your taste buds do change as I no longer crave the junk food, but I guess thats a benefit of eating proper food . Today I had home made veg soup, watercress and spinach salad, hommous and pitta- yummy! As for the cheese, I tend to use the Redwood varieties as I find these go well in cooking and lovely grated on a sandwich with some pickle!

Andy_T
May 20th, 2013, 07:07 PM
But of course, the problem is, even IF I did find the carrion and cow secretions that I used to eat to be more tasty than vegetable-based foodstuffs, I still could not go back to eating them.

So to me, the question does not have much merit in itself.

ciderlover
May 20th, 2013, 09:11 PM
I tried cheezly mozzarella and cheddar and toffuti or something also tescos own brand one bite and binned.Did not want to spoil any other food be adding them they were gross.Vegusto is really good but very high in saturated fat so that puts me off a bit.I think dairy is addictive i was really greedy with it its much easier to control my weight now i know how cruel it is .so am not binging on milk chocolate and icecream.

Cacique
May 20th, 2013, 10:22 PM
The problem with a lot of vegan cheese, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, is that they're usually to be used as an ingredient in something. There are some more artisan style cheeses which are meant to be eaten by themselves or with a cracker or something, but I haven't dabbled in those yet. Maybe someone more familiar with those brands knows better how they're used, as I only know the Toffuti brand but have only used their cream cheese.

I also agree with the weight control thing. I used to be 300lbs before I went vegan, but even eating lots of vegan sweets, I haven't gone above 200lbs which is ok at 6'1''.

Sha Ri A
May 21st, 2013, 02:12 AM
Yup, and have made pretty good "cheese" sauce with that stuff but I more meant stuff that is good on a sandwich. Though I haven't tried any vegan cheeses for maybe 6 years,other than tofutti cream cheese which tastes great. Though I'm beginning to think that I want to eat less highly processed foods, which tofutti is... And thanks for the welcome :-)

Ooops, forgot to quote. That is a response to cupid stunt by the by...

micthemini
May 21st, 2013, 03:01 PM
I think because I've had to cook even more from scratch (I was veggie for 25 years but didn't do much dairy) my taste buds are so much better and I now love fresh ginger, loads of pulses, so many vegetables. And I experiment so much more. I try so many different things, and use different recipes. Only thing I still hate is celery - poison, and I cannot eat strawberries (really poison to me, allergic).
As for cheese, didn't like it as veggie, don't miss it, don't look for a replacement.
And omni hubby is trying more vegan food than he ever would veggie food, he is loving the delicious smells and tastes, so can't be bad.