PDA

View Full Version : "Honestly: Do you think vegan food is as tasty as the food you ate before?"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11

coconut
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:59 PM
The food I eat now is tastier than the food I ate before definitely. Going vegan completely changed my attitude to food. It meant I had to take much more responsibility preparing and cooking my meals. Now cooking is one of my top hobbies. I love making tasty food and impressing people who assume that vegan grub is just lettuce and celery.

sugarmouse
Jan 13th, 2006, 01:29 AM
The food I eat now is tastier than the food I ate before definitely. Going vegan completely changed my attitude to food. It meant I had to take much more responsibility preparing and cooking my meals. Now cooking is one of my top hobbies. I love making tasty food and impressing people who assume that vegan grub is just lettuce and celery.

ita i am a lot better at cooking and experimentatin with food now!

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:14 AM
Hi ph63228. Try this http://www.organicfood.co.uk/inspiration/raw_halva.html

That's a nice recipe but it won't taste anything like traditional halva because of the raisins. I make a similar raw one using dates, agave, sesame seeds and a special ingredient that is really rich and delicious!

Here's one of my halva recipes:

Simple Halvah

2 cups tahini (raw or toasted or a mixture of both)
6 T. agave, maple syrup or brown rice syrup (I like agave best and it will be more like traditional halva this way)
1 T. lemon juice
oil to "grease" the pan and your hands (I like coconut best but sesame or almond works as well)
Optional: whole sesame seeds for "balls" or top of halva

You will want to use a food processor as this is very sticky! Combine all and process. Spread into an oiled or lined dish until this is approximately 1 inch thick and cut into squares when chilled and firm (press seeds onto top if desired). Alternately, roll into balls with oiled hands and cover with additional whole sesame seeds and refrigerate.

ph63228
Jan 13th, 2006, 11:58 AM
this is torment!! its 12.00 and i dont get home till 6.00pm!! no halva till then:( :( :(

but when i get home!!:D :D :D

puffin
Jan 13th, 2006, 02:03 PM
That's a nice recipe but it won't taste anything like traditional halva because of the raisins. I make a similar raw one using dates, agave, sesame seeds and a special ingredient that is really rich and delicious!

Here's one of my halva recipes:

Simple Halvah

2 cups tahini (raw or toasted or a mixture of both)
6 T. agave, maple syrup or brown rice syrup (I like agave best and it will be more like traditional halva this way)
1 T. lemon juice
oil to "grease" the pan and your hands (I like coconut best but sesame or almond works as well)
Optional: whole sesame seeds for "balls" or top of halva

You will want to use a food processor as this is very sticky! Combine all and process. Spread into an oiled or lined dish until this is approximately 1 inch thick and cut into squares when chilled and firm (press seeds onto top if desired). Alternately, roll into balls with oiled hands and cover with additional whole sesame seeds and refrigerate.
Well i have never tasted halva so it wont make a difference to me ;) I dont have a food processor so i will skip making any for now. I guess the raisin one will be good for all you raisin lovers who want to try something new.

mew_76
Jan 14th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Yeah, definitely way way better. Now I really enjoy and appreciate what I eat. I never used to bother cooking much, I'd get pizza or fast food but now I have so much more variety in my diet and its so much healthier. I also stuff like those Fry's chunky strips and tofu are so satisfying, I actually think about them and crave them. I eat quality chocolate now too and couldn't imagine enjoying an over sugared bar of dairy milk. Everything just tastes so much better, it really does.

StmpyElephant
Jan 25th, 2006, 10:53 PM
I've never looked back from switching to a vegan diet. I love the food, I love eating healthy too. All vegan products are pleasant to cook with and fun to choose from (There is such a huge range of protein sorces compared to just the small meat group). You can really make anything vegan. I don't find it hard to have a vegan diet at all and meat absolutley stinks when it is being cooked in this house. It's amazing how something is so grotesque when you stop eating it.

ai4i
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:12 AM
I voted <Vegan food is just as tasty as the food I ate before - no difference> but I have to qualify this. today I am repulsed by nonvegan foods, but I enjoyed them every bit as much, back then.

ConsciousCuisine
Jan 31st, 2006, 07:17 AM
Well i have never tasted halva so it wont make a difference to me ;) I dont have a food processor so i will skip making any for now.
You can make smaller amounts by hand (using a fork to mash and mix well) with a bit of effort and it's worth the work!

LunaVanillaVega
Feb 5th, 2006, 01:26 PM
:D Veganism is much tastier than an omi diet . . .

Going vegan has made my pallet more sensitive to subtle flavors; I find that delicate foods have more taste.

Before I became vegan, I had a lot of problems with indigestion -- I couldn't go near olives, peppers, nor onions . . . and spicey-hot foods, forgetaboutit! Since I stopped eating dairy, my stomach is soooo much happier! I can enjoy eating foods I like and not feel sick.

Romac
Feb 28th, 2006, 09:32 PM
extra fat added ice cream is purdy dern tasty so i had to pick the last option

meat has kinda lost it's appeal because knowing the impact eating it has in the world makes it less tasty.

cheese is a bit of a bummer too - nothing quite compares in the vegan universe

ai4i
Feb 28th, 2006, 10:23 PM
extra fat...ice cream...meat...cheese...
Neither you nor I have reached the point where all non-vegan food repulses us.
I will backslide with some foods (mostly lower life forms and their byproducts) but not on others (warm blooded air breathers and their byproducts).
I suggest alcohol. The right one will taste good and make you feel good.

Maisiepaisie
Mar 1st, 2006, 11:21 AM
When I voted on here ages ago I think I voted "no difference". Now I can honesty say the food I eat now is by far the best. I certainly don't miss animal products in the slightest. Stick with veganism and eventually you will view animal products as unfit for human consumption.

Sproutpout
Jul 23rd, 2006, 06:23 PM
I think it is way tastier! And I dont even eat meat substitutes! I eat alot of wholegrains, herbs, vegetables and beans and the flavours you can create for vegan recipes far outweigh a bland tasting burger (from what i remember anyways that was like 5 years ago) what makes a burger interesting? The salad and the sauce!

I've never liked cheese and milk really, the hardest thing I've found is trying to make things without eggs to bind, and its impossible to find egg substitutes out here but I don't mind really, soy/rice milk does the job and its completely guilt-free :cool:

Carry On
Oct 9th, 2006, 01:16 AM
I definetly find vegan food better and more exotic. I have tried so many new things from so many different and beautiful cultures then way back when I ate meat from a grease joint. Not only that, but being vegan forces one to be more creative in their food choices and cooking among other things such as awareness of your health. Veganism rocks!

thecatspajamas1
Oct 9th, 2006, 01:58 AM
vegan food is definitely tastier!! I gained weight when I went vegan, bc I was trying out so much yummy vegan cuisine that I had never been exposed to before. I remember thinking to myself when I first went vegan that the food seemed "cleaner" - before I was vegan I was always a little grossed out by meat and had to pretend that it wasnt actually animal muscle when i ate it, but then when I met veganism that problem didnt exist anymore... I can accept my whole meal into my mouth with love.

If I hadn't gone vegan, I probably never would have thought to try:

almond butter
Indian food
falafel
lots of organic foods

...and many other things I currently eat a lot of and are healthy and yummy.

ai4i
Oct 9th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I love Greenwise brand soy milk products.

rottengirl
Oct 13th, 2006, 06:44 PM
i think the food i at now is healther.. i wouldn't say tastier... i don't miss the meat but i do miss the dairy.. why can't they make good vegan cheese already? :confused:

PygmyGoat
Oct 13th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Much tastier!!. I have tried all sorts of things that I would never have had the joy of eating before :) !.

Amelia
Oct 23rd, 2006, 04:29 PM
Not only much tastier but more varied. When I think of what I used to eat by comparison, it was quite a limited diet. Meat, veg, potatoes or curry out of a jar, pasta out of a jar. Now much more effort goes into making variations in my diet. Preparing a meal is now a challenge rather than a routine bore. :)

yasha
Oct 23rd, 2006, 05:16 PM
I voted that I think it's about the same but slightly less tasty... I think this may be because I have only been vegan for a month, so perhaps my tastebuds havent changed yet. I really only miss real cheese on pizza. That's about it.
I feel like it tastes way healthier though.

Annie
Oct 23rd, 2006, 06:12 PM
I really miss cheese (like on pizza)...specially because I can't find any vegan friendly cheese =/

I've seen "soy cheese" products but they all have a milk protein in them...

pavotrouge
Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:02 PM
Much better, but I have to say that I went vegan half a year after I moved out from my parents' and my mother is the worst cook ever...I have found I actually LOVE a lot of food (veggies in particular) that I couldn't stand back then.

Usually I don't miss anything except for when I'm in a hurry and don't have that much time for cooking- at times like that, my mind often plays some tricks on me ("Wouldn't it be easy just to walk up to the diner round the corner?").
I've never really liked the taste of meat, eggs and cheese before...what I really loved was fish - and for that, I surprisingly don't have any cravings!

Nicole302
Oct 27th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Vegan food is better.

Smoothie
Nov 8th, 2006, 12:57 PM
i never ate dairy stuff like cheese, milk and yoghurt, &#180;cause of allergies.. meat wasn't really that good, and eggs where just disgusting. so i turned vegetarian - and lived off rice and baked beans for a year, until I realised that vegetarian food doesn't had to be boring. so got me a vegetarian cookbook, and learned how to cook. then i turned vegan, and now i'm gonna be a chef:)

so YES - vegan food is a LOT tastier, healthier and worth it all.