PDA

View Full Version : Sleepy after lunch (or any meal)

Mystic
Mar 3rd, 2005, 03:07 AM
Lately I have been getting so tired that I want to sleep after lunch. I have heard that this is common, but why does it happen?

tails4wagging
Mar 3rd, 2005, 05:00 AM
Yes, I often fall asleep after my lunch, but I am older than you!!!. I think it is very common, I do hear of it a lot.

Is'nt it something about your body that is working hard to digest your meal so the brain has to concentrate on that process hence, you get tired. I think thats something like that!!.

kriz
Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:19 AM
I also used to get sleepy after lunch and I had to take little power naps. To avoid this I usually drink a smoothie or some fruit, nuts and lot's of water instead of heavy lunches. Think light meals. :)

harpy
Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:50 AM
Having lunches that involved a high proportion of carbohydrates (e.g. a salad sandwich made with white bread) used to do this to me, I think because they caused a blood sugar spike followed by a dip (which is when you want to go to sleep).

So now I adjust the balance by (a) limiting carbohydrates, e.g. having an "open-faced" sandwich with one slice of bread instead of two (b) making sure everything is wholegrain where possible and (c) including something with some protein and fat in it, e.g. hummus or nuts.

celtic rose
Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:26 AM
Is it straight after lunch or about an hour later?

The tiredness is generally caused by low blood sugar. Try eating foods with a low GI rating so not to cause a crash in your blood sugar.

foxytina_69
Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:52 AM
thats what i was going to say also. im sure its just a blood sugar level spike and then crash. that happens often.

veganblue
Mar 3rd, 2005, 11:42 AM
What everyone else said and... after eating a meal your stomach requires a great deal of circulation to *squeeze and mush* the food for about two hours. This doesn't drain blood from your head but it does take it from limbs and this is why you shouldn't swim just after eating as strong cramps can result.

As the food gets mooshed, glucose from starch digestion in your mouth (by amylase, an enzyme in saliva) is small enough to pass through the stomach wall lining. The *spike* is a peak in blood sugar at which time your pancreas gives a squirt of insulin into the blood stream.

The insulin acts on cell membranes encouraging them to open up to glucose and quite quickly your blood sugar drops below normal and your brain says "Yawn; I feel tired, I need a lie down..."

To counter act this do some star jumps or a little joggin on the spot - anything that gets your blood going. It sounds counter-intuitive but your blood sugar drops even further and your pancreas goes "oh crap, not enough sugar!" and squirts out some glucagon, another molecule that releases glucose from cells. Your liver and muscles have a large supply of glocose so it doesn't hurt you and you get a bit of a lift and feel more mentally alert.

I hope that helps :)

The other thing can be low blood pressure and low iron levels, especially if you are a bit underweight.

Artichoke47
Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:12 PM
If that's the case, shouldn't people be tired after every single meal, not just lunch? ;)

celtic rose
Mar 3rd, 2005, 02:10 PM
Depends on the GI content of the meal.

veganblue
Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:48 PM
If that's the case, shouldn't people be tired after every single meal, not just lunch? ;)

If underweight, yes, but point taken. You might note that Banana is getting tired after lunch...or any meal...

The demands of the morning have taken their toll so you start on low before eating at lunchtime I suppose. There may be other factors at play like iron and low blood pressure as said.

I tend to eat a big breakfast and that often carries me through to the evening. Lunch seems and optional extra and I have no idea about snacking, just doesn't come naturally to me.

Something Banana can do is have a few snacks in the morning, and the things she eats; I don't feel inclined to suggest anything in particular. Banana has the best diet of anyone I know! :)

Mystic
Mar 4th, 2005, 01:32 AM
I already do eat low GI coz I have hypoglycemia. I have stoneground wholemeal sourdough bread with low GI fillings such as tahini, avocado and hummus. If I don't eat much, I starve all day. I am eating lunch right now, so I will see how long it takes for me to crash...

Juice
Jun 27th, 2006, 02:32 AM
I get sleepy after lunch, but that's because I'm at work and bored already.

Michael Benis
Jul 1st, 2006, 04:28 PM
I only get sleepy if I eat too much, which has... ahem! been known to happen.... :o

Wildflower
Jul 1st, 2006, 04:35 PM
I get sleepy after lunch too...maybe because I start to relax and know the day is almost over?

lol - i don't know, i eat a lot of low GI foods, like I can eat a bowl of dal (red lentil) wich i believe is practically lowest on the GI chart and still feel tired afterwords. Generally, I try to eat beans for lunch, which should also be low GI.

I find that snacking throughout the day helps, instead of eating a proper lunch. But I like eating a proper lunch, sometimes snacking doesn't do it for me...

herbwormwood
Jul 1st, 2006, 04:50 PM
It's called the post lunch pause and its part of normal metabolism and circadiam rhythms. You are fighting nature if you fight it too much but eating a lighter lunch may help.
Part of the physical reason for it is the blood supply goes more to the digestion after one has eaten. But even if we didn't eat this is a natural time to feel sleepy.

jennyL
Jul 1st, 2006, 07:50 PM
happens to me if I eat a meal high in carbs.

Wildflower
Jul 1st, 2006, 09:09 PM
It's called the post lunch pause and its part of normal metabolism and circadiam rhythms. You are fighting nature if you fight it too much but eating a lighter lunch may help.
Part of the physical reason for it is the blood supply goes more to the digestion after one has eaten. But even if we didn't eat this is a natural time to feel sleepy.

I think it is natural for me to sleep after lunch. I like to stay up late, get up early and take a nap in the early afternoon.

Unfortunatly, my work frowns upon it! :o

Maisiepaisie
Jul 1st, 2006, 09:56 PM
So glad to see this thread, I thought I was abnormal. This problem used to be worse before I was vegan though.

Wildflower
Jul 2nd, 2006, 06:03 PM
So does anyone live in a country that allows for a long lunch break so you can take a nap???

I have heard that in mexico they have long lunch breaks, you go home with your family, cook a meal, have a nap (siesta) and then come back to work for a few hours. I am not sure that they really still do that, it may have been more traditionally speaking, and I am sure lots of bigger corporations have "westernized" LOL - not that mexico isn't part of the west, but we always say that when we make other countries pick up the habits of america and some of europe.

I am thinking it may have something to do with the heat - so maybe other countries like in the med might do that still, like greece, italy, spain...

Anyone know? Oh how wonderful that would be...

Pilaf
Jul 2nd, 2006, 06:30 PM
It always happens to me, too. No idea why.

herbwormwood
Jul 4th, 2006, 09:27 AM
It always happens to me, too. No idea why.

because you are normal and you are having a post lunch pause like everyone else:)

herbwormwood
Jul 4th, 2006, 09:35 AM
So does anyone live in a country that allows for a long lunch break so you can take a nap???

I have heard that in mexico they have long lunch breaks, you go home with your family, cook a meal, have a nap (siesta) and then come back to work for a few hours. I am not sure that they really still do that, it may have been more traditionally speaking, and I am sure lots of bigger corporations have "westernized" LOL - not that mexico isn't part of the west, but we always say that when we make other countries pick up the habits of america and some of europe.

I am thinking it may have something to do with the heat - so maybe other countries like in the med might do that still, like greece, italy, spain...

Anyone know? Oh how wonderful that would be...

The siesta is traditional in southern european countries, I first heard of it in Spain in the 1970's. Of course it was traditional then, its partly to do with the post lunch pause co-inciding with the hottest part of the day where it is impossible to work outside, and it was traditional before air conditioning kept offices cool, but I don't know whether it's still practiced, I am sure the net will provide the answer if you do a search. As productivity declines when the heat rises it would be a useful practice for companies to have. In the UK an hour lunch break is the norm but we don't have siestas here.