PDA

View Full Version : Egg replacer - for baking only?

Merav999
Oct 29th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here :)

I recently bought Bob Red Mill's Egg Replacer and used it for oatmeal cookies.

Has anyone tried to use this for something other than baking like for making veggie burgers, Pies, patties etc?

Thank you :-)

Blueberries
Oct 29th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Hi Merav, welcome to the forum. I haven't used that brand in particular but I have used Orgran egg-replacer powder in veggie burgers and cakes. Apparently you can even make meringue with it but I've never done it personally.

Merav999
Oct 29th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks Blueberries :) I think I'll just try it, what's the worst that can happen? :D

Blueberries
Oct 29th, 2012, 11:15 PM
Thanks Blueberries :) I think I'll just try it, what's the worst that can happen? :D

You're welcome :D. Exactly, experiment with it!

Clueless Git
Oct 30th, 2012, 10:12 AM

The worst that could happen is that you get carried away and use the stuff to make omelette?

Second worst that could happen is that you could have as much (lack thereof) luck as I did when I tried using egg replacer to make pancakes. (All I got was crumbly little cooked flour 'doylies') :undecided:

Anyways ...

Welcome to the forum Merav :) and a question for you, if I may?

Is it as much of a bitch as I would imagine it would be to be a vegan in Israel?

Merav999
Oct 30th, 2012, 12:24 PM
The worst that could happen is that you get carried away and use the stuff to make omelette?

Second worst that could happen is that you could have as much (lack thereof) luck as I did when I tried using egg replacer to make pancakes. (All I got was crumbly little cooked flour 'doylies') :undecided:

Thanks for the warnings *g*

Anyways ...

Welcome to the forum Merav :) and a question for you, if I may?

Is it as much of a bitch as I would imagine it would be to be a vegan in Israel?

It's not a bitch at all being a vegan in Israel, I think it may be easier even :) Because a lot of people keep Kosher (not eating milk and meat together) there are a lot of options for food without any milk product (unlike other countries where if there is no meat there'll probably be butter or milk). Oh, and there's also falafel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falafel)of course!

pat sommer
Dec 3rd, 2012, 01:59 AM
perversely, I ate in the meat sections of restaurants instead of the dairy section: guaranteed to get soy-sour-cream etc with veg and starch