PDA

View Full Version : Making vegan cheese

Tobemeghan
Dec 18th, 2012, 12:12 AM
Hello!
I am new to the thread, I am trying to immerse myself in the vegan world a bit more to see if I can expand my menu a bit! My main problem is that I do not have the money to buy cheese alternatives so I am looking to make some. I already make the nutritional yeast cheddar cheese sauce but I would really like a mozzarella and cheddar that I can shred. If anyone has any recipes I would love to have them.

Thanks so much!

syrius
Dec 18th, 2012, 06:09 PM
there is a cook book call artisan vegan cheese by miyoko shinner , it is a good book but you may need to order on the net some unusual ingredient such as kapa carageenan powder and agar agar powder.

there is one recipes from her in this blog

http://vegansaurus.com/post/1671017875/guest-recipe-vi-zahajszky-mozzarella-di-bufala.

I have made quite few from her, they are not complicated just requiring patience. most of all , they taste good !

Tobemeghan
Dec 19th, 2012, 01:46 AM
THANK YOU so much! I am very excited to try this, it is actually very similar to making real cheese (use to make cheese before I went vegan). I just made a batch of vegan mozzarella today and it just isn't want I am wanting. I cannot tell you how excited I am to try this! I just need to get some rejuvelac and I will be ready to go!!

I've searched the web over looking for recipes, I can't understand why I didn't find this recipe before!

Thank you again and again for posting. I can't wait to give it a try, I do miss my cheese!

Tobey

there is a cook book call artisan vegan cheese by miyoko shinner , it is a good book but you may need to order on the net some unusual ingredient such as kapa carageenan powder and agar agar powder.

there is one recipes from her in this blog

http://vegansaurus.com/post/1671017875/guest-recipe-vi-zahajszky-mozzarella-di-bufala.

I have made quite few from her, they are not complicated just requiring patience. most of all , they taste good !

syrius
Dec 20th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I know what you mean I have bought in the past some vegan cheeze and it didn't taste it quite right to me . there si brand of toffutti which i find ok and there is vegusto too.
remember you are not giving up cheese you are giving up animal cruelty ! this help me on my early days as a vegan when cheese craving was at its strongest. lol

TJ
Dec 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Interesting. We only went vegan a little over 3 months ago and I have been so focused on trying to find new recipes and build up a vegan menu that I had not thought about making vegan cheese. Though the hubby and I had talked once about making vegan yogurt.

Is it terribly difficult? Easy? I think it is a bit soon for me to give it a whirl but maybe soon.