PDA

View Full Version : eating with your fingers

Pages : 1 [2]

indianvegan
Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:10 PM
Hemlock, I wanna see/meet those Indian Vegans and living here in India. Please do me a favor. Just forward undermentioned link to them.

Manish Jain

Hemlock
Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:14 PM
Hemlock, I wanna see/meet those Indian Vegans and living here in India. Please do me a favor. Just forward undermentioned link to them.

Manish Jain

Sadly they don't live in India, they live in Mauritius but came from India originally!

cedarblue
Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:22 PM
i had a nice little 'eat with fingers' lunch. broken, warm pitta bread with hummus and homemade guacamole and some cherry tomatoes....mmmm t'ws lovely.:)

Cherry
Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM
I always got it in my hair and down my front:o

That happens to me even when I'm NOT eating with my fingers :D

Chopsticks are fun too. I'm still learning so when I use chopsticks, I find myself using my fingers about half the time to help grab the food. Hehehe!

Absolutely. I'm not very good at chopsticks either so I always go for noodles over rice :)

I like the variety. I like using fingers, chopsticks, naan/bread/poppadums, forks, spoons depending on the food.

VeganJohn
Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:41 PM
Me too cherry!!

I like eating with my fingers, although I tend not to do it when dining with others for reasons of etiquette.

Chopsticks are great to eat with, I mastered how to use them when I was quite young. Asian restaurants are still my favourite places to eat (aside from designated veggie/vegan places).

I'd love to travel to India some day to sample some vegan cuisine. I have been to the well Gujarati restaurant in Leeds called Hansa's, which is excellent, but would like to try the same thing in India itself.

indianvegan
Jan 4th, 2006, 06:23 AM
I'd love to travel to India some day to sample some vegan cuisine. I have been to the well Gujarati restaurant in Leeds called Hansa's, which is excellent, but would like to try the same thing in India itself.

Gujrati/South Indian menu is not HOT and spicy as Rajasthani/North Indian menu. Gujrati dishes usually are added with White Sugar in India.Gujarati Dhokla(Khaman) is very tasty.

Manish Jain

Haniska
Aug 20th, 2006, 06:46 AM
At dinner, we usually have our main dish, with a big plate of salad in the middle to share. We eat our main with our cutlery but eat the salad with our fingers.

I used to like eating salad with my fingers at restaurants because they always leave the leaves too huge to tranfer fork to mouth.

sugarmouse
Aug 20th, 2006, 09:52 AM
Thats another one on my never ending list of gripes actually! lol
When they leav the leaves so massive.I feel like i should ask 'How the $*@^ do yu expect me to get that in my little mouth:eek: lol
I love finger food though in general:) [/COLOR]

lozza
Aug 20th, 2006, 11:41 AM
i usually eat with cutlery but eating with fingers is so much more fun! :)

paulvegan
Aug 21st, 2006, 02:14 AM
i eat with my fingers sometimes other times with cutlery,

i still find it hard to eat soup with my fingers:confused::D

(sorry someone had to say it,) (is childish i know:o)

Kiran
Aug 21st, 2006, 12:16 PM
I don't mind eating with my fingers after a good hand wash.. Its a lot comfy, quick and easy. The best choice for a mechanical life-style. :)

Chopsticks are fun too.
Not for me. :o I have tried chopsticks before. Its hard. But, I love to stick them up the sides of my mouth and imitate a walrus.

Hemlock
Aug 21st, 2006, 02:59 PM
Eating with fingers is fine but holding ones knife like a pen is not.

Hemlock - cutlery snob!

veggiegirl3
Aug 25th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Chopsticks are fun! I sometimes use them on American-type noodles, just because it amuses me...

I like things I can eat with my hands best, generally. I rarely eat soup, but I do use spoons for that, ice cream, yogurt, and cereal! (Vegan versions) I use a fork regualrly, but rarely require a knife since going vegan. When I'm alone, I use my hands too much though, even for things I shouldn't, like salad.

happy
Oct 30th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Could you not just drink from the bowl when "eating" soup? You know,just pick it up with two hands? And slurp away!

herbwormwood
Oct 30th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Finger food is also the best food for disabled and elderly people who can't use a knife and fork without difficulty. I'm serious, some elderly people have such trouble eating with knife and fork that they don't get to eat properly. Try cutting up food when your hands are deformed by arthritis. People caring for elders have published research papers on it.
Also knife and fork is culture-specific. Some cultures use nannbread and other wraps to eat with, some use fingers as a scoop by custom.