PDA

View Full Version : Waitrose

VeganCharlie
Feb 24th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Am quite annoyed with them they don't seem to label any own brand products as suitable for vegan. If they can manage to put "Suitable for vegetarians", why wouldn't they put "Suitable for vegans" if the product is so. Very simple thing to do and encompasses vegetarian as well.

Have written to them, if they hear it from multiple people then maybe they will act.

Charlie

Risker
Feb 27th, 2013, 02:02 PM
Goes for most food providers really. Reasons they don't are that they think vegan labelling will be used by people who suffer from allergies and they want to avoid any possible litigation resulting from it. They don't want too much information on packaging because people get upset at seeing too many words. It potentially affects the image of a product, people think that food with vegan on it will make them want to hug trees and wear sarongs. Mostly though it's because the people selling these products aren't vegan so they just don't care.

I'm sure all the big UK supermarkets get a constant badgering about vegan labelling, I do it sometimes in my less cynical moments.

You can get waitrose vegan list here by the way in case you didn't know - http://www.waitrose.com/home/inspiration/health_and_nutrition/special_diets_and_lifestyles/how_waitrose_can_help.html