PDA

View Full Version : What's been your most exciting find since turning vegan?

Pages : [1] 2

misosoup
Mar 15th, 2013, 01:27 AM
I think for me it has to be UHT coconut cream, which when whipped actually tastes like proper cream, and is much cheaper than the coconut milk method. Even the omnis were impressed and said it tasted like proper cream.
Also, JusRol puff and filo pastry is vegan so it was nice to be able to still make nice puddings.
Finding a really amazing Italian site with vegan cheeses that are easy and cheap to make.
Sainsbury's digestives, so am going to try making a tofu cheesecake one of these days.

Haven't had much luck with the 'meat' side of things. I do like seitan but need to work on that a bit more. I've been trying out seitan escalopes which have turned out quite well.

Tabbycat
Mar 15th, 2013, 02:23 AM
Just finding out there are alternatives to omni foods. And they taste delicious. I wasn't expecting the delicious part.

I found some yummy vegan garlic and chive cream cheese for bagels. I've had it on whole wheat toast so far and it's quite tasty like that. But I so want it with bagels. Must buy some when shopping this weekend.

Clueless Git
Mar 15th, 2013, 02:45 AM
My mind.

KnittinMama
Mar 15th, 2013, 03:15 AM
Daiya. I don't buy it often, because it is processed and loaded with fat and sodium; however, it's a nice treat since I'm soy-free and all other vegan "cheeses" available around here are soy based.

zazu
Mar 15th, 2013, 06:24 AM
nutritional yeast - I love using it for homemade vegan "cheese" (I also add it to Daiya cheese before cooking, because I like it more that way).

I really want to start experimenting more with making nut cheeses. I had some amazing nut cheese at a raw restaurant in Miami a few years ago. I don't really remember the details, but there were 3 different kinds and I loved them. I wish I had the recipes, however, I do know how to make feta from almonds, which is pretty good (but doesn't call for nutritional yeast)

Firestorm
Mar 15th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Celtic chocolate caramels
Tempeh (I hated it at first but love it now)
Jus Rol Croissants
Nakd Bars

Blueberries
Mar 15th, 2013, 07:53 AM
Am I allowed to say 'everthing'? Food has just become more exciting for me since I went vegan! It's a mixture of the novelty value of finding vegan things and also learning to cook and discovering so many wonderful things. I never tried peanut butter or Marmite until I went vegan!

tickled onion
Mar 15th, 2013, 10:23 AM
that it is quite self empowering to be able to easily abstain from things because of my conscience, now i feel like i can do anything, I even quit smoking very easily after a 27 year habit, I think my whole life has changed, my outlook, my health, my sanity, my attitude....

and these http://rawified.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/raw-nanaimo-bars.html#!/2012/06/raw-nanaimo-bars.html the greatest thing to ever pass my lips, deliciously fattening!

VeganRake
Mar 15th, 2013, 11:35 AM
My most exciting find was Swedish Glace ice cream. Must have had more than 100 tubs of it down the years. Then I recently found out that since January 2013, Unilever has added it to its portfolio.....as I disagree vehemently with all forms of animal testing, I refuse to buy anything from that company.

Jara
Mar 15th, 2013, 02:26 PM
The most exiting thing is that my menstruation just last 2 days and a half and is not abundant, whereas before was about 5-6 days and it was pleintiful!

misosoup
Mar 16th, 2013, 06:45 PM
that it is quite self empowering to be able to easily abstain from things because of my conscience, now i feel like i can do anything, I even quit smoking very easily after a 27 year habit, I think my whole life has changed, my outlook, my health, my sanity, my attitude....

and these http://rawified.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/raw-nanaimo-bars.html#!/2012/06/raw-nanaimo-bars.html the greatest thing to ever pass my lips, deliciously fattening!

Congratulations on giving up smoking. I gave up a year and a half ago, best feeling ever.

Before I was vegan, I was very materialistic and vain. I relied on material things to make me happy, I was an emotional eater, I used way too many chemicals. I used to love spending a lot on cosmetics and skin treatments. Now I'm happy with some bicarb and ACV lol

Since turning vegan I realise I can live on a lot less and still be happy, and I believe that humans convince themselves that they 'need' so much when we really don't. Its like when I started to practice Mindfulness I realise that letting go of things does make you happy.

I have a new attitude to food. Food is medicine. I appreciate everything I eat and try to know where it comes from. I don't overeat or eat for the wrong reasons.

And like you, I have pride in myself that I've managed to stick to something that I believe in, and it is empowering. I did a lot of research into nutrition and I feel so much healthier and lighter.

s_am
Mar 17th, 2013, 12:58 AM
I really love the blackfriars vegan flapjacks, mostly the cherry and coconut one

Eileen Dover
Mar 22nd, 2013, 01:07 AM
My mind.

Your mind :thumbsup:

potatoslayer
Mar 22nd, 2013, 10:07 PM
Mixing chocolate almondmilk with coconut milk and coconut water.

Try it!

lbaker40
Mar 23rd, 2013, 02:32 AM
My taste buds! I have tried so many new foods and flavors. My health has improved because I have cut out so much processed foods. I feel proud of my commitment to animals, the environment, my health. I absolutely love being vegan. :heart:

Tabbycat
Mar 23rd, 2013, 04:45 AM
new one... a vegan certified dark chocolate peanut butter. OMG I am in heaven. I think I could live on that stuff.

Clueless Git
Mar 23rd, 2013, 02:17 PM
Your mind :thumbsup:

Awwwww, thanks Mum :o

(Can you post more of that kind of stuff for me, though? I want people to think that I actualy have a girlfreind ...)

Firestorm
Mar 23rd, 2013, 04:10 PM
new one... a vegan certified dark chocolate peanut butter. OMG I am in heaven. I think I could live on that stuff.

Would that be Dark Chocolate Dreams from the Peanut Butter Co? My fave is their White Chocolate Wonderful.

stupefy!
Mar 23rd, 2013, 10:02 PM
the possibility of religion been a scientific method of finding some truths

Blueberries
Apr 6th, 2013, 06:39 PM
the possibility of religion been a scientific method of finding some truths

Has that much to do with veganism?

micthemini
Apr 10th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Cooking different and exciting things. Getting more adventurous.
I made seitan the other day, and it is amazing. And easy.
I plan to make vegan sausages next week.
And finding great forums like this, which has been really helpful.

Reide
Apr 12th, 2013, 12:55 AM
I found out apparently oreo's in my country are Australian. The only thing debatable is the process of sugar. I love oreos.

Robinwomb
Apr 12th, 2013, 11:32 AM
I tried The Vegg last night and it was pretty good, although still a bit liquid like even after I blended it and added a little starch. I added spinach and nutritional yeast to it and cooked it all together and it was tasty and filling.

Agar flakes is another great find. And canned coconut milk. And believe it or not in all the years I was an omnivore I never ate an avocado or mango. Mango is my favorite fruit now. I have tried about every imaginable fruit and vegetable, and have used ground nuts and seeds and even beans/legumes for baking, lasagnas, casseroles, bars etc. So much healthier and interesting than loading everything with butter and eggs and milk and sugar. As a vegan I was introduced to high speed blenders and bought a blentec in 2011. I LOVE that machine!!! As others have pointed out, my diet is far more varied than it was before. As an omnivore I ate yogurt and oatmeal every day for breakfast with occasional pancakes or omelettes on weekends. Now I vary my breakfasts....chickpea flour omelettes; beans on toast; crockpot hot millet with apples; bulgur wheat and berries; countless varieties of green and vegetable and fruit smoothies; sauteed tempeh and leafy greens and toast; fresh fruit and walnuts; the list goes on.

And hemp socks. Just as warm in winter here in Northern Minnesota as wool. Wicks moisture too.

misosoup
Apr 12th, 2013, 03:05 PM
Robin, before I turned vegan I never ate breakfast, I couldn't stomach it. Now I have soy yogurt, blueberries and flaxseed every morning. I much prefer soy yogurt to dairy yogurt.
I still haven't tried tempeh. What do you do with it? Do you make it yourself?
May give bulgar wheat for breakfast a go! I really like it for dinner. What do you do with it?

I've tried more grains, I'm a big fan of pearl barley now. Also grew to like lentils after avoiding them for years.

Risker
Apr 12th, 2013, 06:18 PM
I found out apparently oreo's in my country are Australian. The only thing debatable is the process of sugar. I love oreos.

No... In Australia? Are you sure?