PDA

View Full Version : Soya milk

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Artichoke47
Sep 20th, 2004, 04:03 AM
I've seen a few Silk commercials. They always mention that it doesn't have cholesterol. :D

TheFirstBus
Sep 20th, 2004, 05:20 AM
this one was for "so good"

gertvegan
Sep 20th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Theres ads for www.alprosoya.co.uk on tv over here at the moment. There have been for a while, but they seem to be more frequent at present. Vegan times are a changing.

Roxy
Sep 22nd, 2004, 07:49 AM
I remember a TV ad back in Australia for Sanitarium So Good. It had a little jingle: "No Cholesterol, No Lactose, that's another reason try try Sanitarium Soooooo Good!"

foxytina_69
Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:38 AM
i always see commercials for so good (and silk and other kinds). the other day there was an ad on the side of a big semi truck for it. and in magazines.

Kiva Dancer
Jan 17th, 2005, 05:43 PM
I love the Silk commercials. Especially when they say "No cholesterol, greater possibilities". Gotta love that. :D

TheFirstBus
Jan 17th, 2005, 10:35 PM
i always see commercials for so good (and silk and other kinds). the other day there was an ad on the side of a big semi truck for it. and in magazines.

I tired So Good, not a fan. I am a So Nice kind of guy

eve
Jan 18th, 2005, 05:58 AM
I don't drink SoGood either, to me So Good is No Good - more like a chemical cocktail! When I was in the US, I drank Silk, and here at home I take fresh Vitasoy, made from whole Australian organic soybeans. :)

veganblue
Jan 18th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Did anyone catch "The Corporation" ? I think it should be on dvd everywhere by now. They had a prediction that soymilk is going to be promoted more widely across the American landscape; not due to its health benefits but due to who controls the soy crops and who ultimately is going to reap the benefit. They even suggested that GW Bush would be promoting soy, personally.
If it cuts the abuse to cattle then it can only be a good thing.

Miel Miette
Jan 18th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I'm a So Natural fan myself, but I've got to admit, I like the "So Good" theme song. Vitasoy's Lush Chocolate rocks, too!

Artichoke47
Jan 18th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Did anyone catch "The Corporation" ? I think it should be on dvd everywhere by now. They had a prediction that soymilk is going to be promoted more widely across the American landscape; not due to its health benefits but due to who controls the soy crops and who ultimately is going to reap the benefit. They even suggested that GW Bush would be promoting soy, personally.
If it cuts the abuse to cattle then it can only be a good thing.

I'm guessing those will be GMO soybeans, so I wonder which company is going to sell it. Silk is all organic.

TheFirstBus
Jan 18th, 2005, 03:06 PM
I'm guessing those will be GMO soybeans, so I wonder which company is going to sell it. Silk is all organic.

As is SO Nice :D

Wildflower
Jan 30th, 2005, 06:13 PM
I really like the ads for Solae (http://www.solaeliving.com/index3.html) on TV. I do not know much about the company, but the ads are kinda like this -

People are blindfolded, and they are asked to name what high protien food they are eating. first they generally eat something that is meat - chicken, fish, etc. Then they eat something that is soy and say, veggie burger, soy shake, etc.

Then this announcer comes on and says, "proof that you can get protien in unexpected places - solae!"

ay_runner_22
Jul 28th, 2005, 06:27 PM
is soy milk good?

Gliondrach
Jul 28th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Soya milk is wonderful. It is nice in tea, coffee, cocoa, porridge, muesli, and just about anything that animal milk is used for. I prefer the unsweetened. Sometimes, if coffee is very strong, the soya milk will look as if it's curdled but you just have to add a bit more until the coffee looks normal.

Yoggy
Aug 24th, 2005, 09:48 AM
I've been vegan for about 2 months, and I can't stand soy milk! I've tried it several times on cereal, by itself, plain and vanilla flavoured, and 2 of the 3 common brands available (I've had Silk and So Good; still haven't tried So Nice), and I just hate it! The only one I like is chocolate :o , but even that took a bit of getting used to. At present I use almond milk on my cereal, and I absolutely love it. It's almost exactly like how my cereal tasted before. But it's pretty pricey, so I'd like to try to make the transition to soy milk.

Has anyone else ever hated soy milk at first, but gotten used to it? Or is it something that you either love or hate at first taste? Are there any tips on learning to love soy milk? Like taking it slowly, or making yourself drink a lot to get used to it quickly? I'm at a loss. I want to start using it in everything, but I really hate it. Has anyone else had this problem but gotten over it?

Rhiannon
Aug 24th, 2005, 09:58 AM
I've been drinking soymilk for about 13 years and I love the taste, but I do remember when I first started drinking it I thought it was horrible. I got used to it over the years I guess. Whereas, my non-vegan sister just loves the taste of it anyway. I've tried rice milk before but never almond milk as it is really expensive and I can say I much prefer soymilk.

FR
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:00 AM
I think it is something you either love or you hate. I love it. I hate cow's milk with a passion, it has to be one of the most disgusting things on Earth. I was so happy when I tried soymilk and found out it did not taste like cow's milk. I think almond milk tasts wondrful, too, especially chocolate. Sorry that I am not much help but I don't think you can all of the sudden like soymilk if you do not like it now.

Pob
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:02 AM
The only difference I still notice with soy milk is that it is naturally less sweet than milk. The sweetened varieties are easier to start out with. Try and get the most natural brand that you can - ie without all the vitamins and flavourings. I actually think they taste more neutral than the other sorts.

I did start out with adding milk shake powder to it, though - more because I thought it would taste nasty. But then I gradually started drinking it more without the milk shake.

The one I drink now is simply organic soya beans and water (and it's cheap ;)), and tastes perfect (to me at least) on cereal. If I make custard, though, I need to use more sugar than I did when using cow milk.

Poison Ivy
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:07 AM
I'm 'getting' over it, I too couldn't stand the taste of soy milk when I first tried it , and that was a little over a year ago, so I used rice milk instead. I am *just* starting to not mind the taste of soy milk. I've taken it slowly and used the soy milk in drinks a few times a week to start with, and I'm gradually getting there - I'm not sure if I'll ever make it to drinking it on it's own or even using it on cereal - and it's not really necessary too either as I do like the rice milk, but I am determined to master the taste of soy :) (strangely enough I don't have this problem with soy yogurts or icecream - just the milk :confused: )

So yeah, the gradual addition of soy milk is working for me :o

Yoggy
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Thanks guys! I'm going to buy a (small!) carton of soy milk tomorrow, and try again. I want this to work! I just had a thought: maybe I should try mixing it with almond milk, on cereal and the like, and slowly increase the ratio until it's all soy milk that I'm drinking. Because I don't think I'll be able to get used to it just by drinking it alone. I'd never be able to drink more than a couple mouthfuls in a sitting, and I'd never get used to it that way :(

I think almond milk tasts wondrful, too, especially chocolate.
There's chocolate almond milk??? What brand? Or do you make your own? I better not try it, I already don't mind chocolate soy milk, but if I try almond, I might never be able to return to soy :D

FR
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Blue Diamond offers original, vanilla, and chocolate almond milk. I love the chocolate because it tastes just like a chocolate candy bar w/almonds.

Poison Ivy
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Blue Diamond offers original, vanilla, and chocolate almond milk. I love the chocolate because it tastes just like a chocolate candy bar w/almonds.

Oh my, that sounds absolutely divine - I want some!! :D - bet they don't do anything like it in the UK (going to go and check! :p ).

vegandolly
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:23 AM
The best soya milk is the sweetened variety(not with sugar but with apple juice).

Yoggy
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:24 AM
I buy Blue Diamond almond milk, but on the shelf whenever I see it, there's only plain and vanilla. But I think it's just as well, as I already feel guilty about spending $3.99 on one litre of plain almond milk: if I had 2 varieties to buy, I'd go broke! Luckily I'm happy with my chocolate soy milk.

Again, thanks for the advice everyone. I'll post again in a couple days and see whether I've gotten further along the path to loving soy milk in all it's forms.