PDA

View Full Version : Soya milk

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

FR
Aug 24th, 2005, 10:27 AM
It is $2.49 here in the States. Sometimes it is on sale, 2 for $3.00!

abrennan
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Hello there

If you don't like soy milk you don't have to drink. I have found that there are many brands of soy milk, there is here in Oz anyway. They all taste different, the beany tasting ones, the oily ones, the sweet ones, the powdery ones, cheap, expensive.

I tried quite a few before I settled on Bonsoy. i don't know if you can get it where you are but it is fantabulous. It's creamy but has no oil, it has no sugar but is sweet like bread. Its not GMO'd and it is made from whole soy beans. I love it, I could drink it all day long.

Bonsoy. Made in Japan. Imported into Australia by Spiral Foods

Antony bean

DianeVegan
Aug 24th, 2005, 12:10 PM
I never drank cow milk or ate cereal with milk when I was an omni. If you only use it on cereal then perhaps you could try something different for breakfast? I make a big batch of banana or pumpkin whole grain muffins and freezed them - instant breakfast on the go. Sometimes I make fruit smoothies with tofu or soy milk, or amasake, or almond/rice/oat milk, etc.

I know you are trying to "like" soy milk but you don't need to. Soy milk isn't any more necessary than cow milk. Unless you are a breakfast cereal executive........

Gorilla
Aug 24th, 2005, 12:34 PM
i hated the taste of soya milk when i first tried it as well. that was about three years ago, and i can't say i like it that much now. i prefer rice milk on cereals such as muesli or cornflakes. soya milk is great in porridge and rice pudding though. i also tend to use it in savoury dishes because you can't really taste it like that anyway.

i bought myself a soya milk making machine about a year ago, and a ton of soya beans, but i can't get my homemade milk to taste anywhere near as nice as the carton stuff...i thought it'd save me money and cut down on packaging but the taste is really hard to get used to, despite all the extra ingredients i've tried putting in it. :o i have to use it though 'cos i've got so many soya beans to use up :p

Artichoke47
Aug 24th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I believe you can add cocoa powder to the grain milks to flavor them with chocolate, or in the alternative, make or buy chocolate syrup and add it.

Tofu Monster
Aug 24th, 2005, 12:53 PM
i still don't like unsweetened soya milk much so i buy the one sweetened with apple juice. i love it now - but didn't for a long time. i'm amazed now that even the smell of cow's milk makes me feel quite nauseous. i cannot imagine drinking it!

i also bought a soya milk maker but it doesn't turn out very nice so i stick to shop-bought milk.

Artichoke47
Aug 24th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Ugh - the sight of cow milk in a jug turns my stomach. I wonder if the pus will eat through the plastic eventually. :p

DianeVegan
Aug 25th, 2005, 01:08 AM
Gorilla,

If you can make soy milk then you can easily make the sweetest tasting tofu you've ever had! I did not have any luck with soy milk either but instead make my own tofu. It is not difficult, especially once you have the milk (store bought won't work).

AbFab
Aug 25th, 2005, 04:54 PM
If you can make soy milk then you can easily make the sweetest tasting tofu you've ever had!Ah, but have you tasted Tofu Monster?

Anyway....

Perservere with the soya milk, there are lots of different brands, there should be one you like, or grow to like. There are also a whole host of alternative alternatives (! :) ) such as quinoa milk, oat milk, rice milk, pea protein, almond milk, and probably a few more besides, and it's good to get some variety besides soya. My cupboards are always stocked with several of the above, and I alternate.

DianeVegan
Aug 25th, 2005, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure, but I don't believe he's very sweet - more of the savory type, I should think. ;)

Mystic
Aug 25th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Ugh - the sight of cow milk in a jug turns my stomach. I wonder if the pus will eat through the plastic eventually. :p

I don't mean to pick at you Arti, but I wish you wouldn't be so vulgur. The idea of pus makes me want to vomit :eek: Milk isn't pus, it is the food for baby calves. It is just not human food, that is all :) .

DianeVegan
Aug 26th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Hmmm, gross but unfortunately true. Go to http://www.milksucks.com and you can read all about the "white cells" that are present in the unnaturally obtained cow's milk for human consumption. :(

Mystic
Aug 26th, 2005, 02:57 AM
OMG ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. I will never crave yoghurt again :D Thanx 4 the link!

Roxy
Aug 26th, 2005, 08:30 AM
I don't really like the taste of plain soy milk so I use vanilla soy milk if I have cereal and I also use vanilla soy in my cooking (even when making a savoury dish).

All this talk of almond milk has aroused my curiosity though......perhaps I will have a look for it when I do the grocery shopping tomorrow.

AbFab
Aug 26th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Good luck, Roxy, hope you find it. I can only get the non-soya milk alternatives at the health shop, not at the ordinary supermarket. I know I am lucky to have a few health shops close by me so I can buy this stuff easily. If you can't find your almond milk, you will probably be able to make it quite easily, I should imagine.

tipsytop
Aug 26th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Soya milk tastes great with coffee - almost nutty. It's better with coffee than I ever remember cows milk tasting.

bjorn again veg
Sep 6th, 2005, 03:17 AM
I found soy milk foul until I discovered no fat soy milk...
Try Sanitarium So Good no fat or the 1% fat version, they are beaut & converted me from a total soy milk hater to someone who can drink it neat & on my brekkie...

Roxy
Sep 6th, 2005, 04:01 AM
I finally got around to buying a carton of that Blue Diamond Almond Milk. I got the vanilla one.

It's very very sweet and tastes sooooo good!

FR
Sep 6th, 2005, 04:10 AM
I finally got around to buying a carton of that Blue Diamond Almond Milk. I got the vanilla one.

It's very very sweet and tastes sooooo good!

Yay!

Yoggy
Sep 6th, 2005, 05:10 AM
And I found some Blue Diamond chocolate almond milk at Planet Organic, but I refrained from buying it; I don't want to get turned off my chocolate soymilk after I've made so much progress!

Roxy
Sep 6th, 2005, 05:17 AM
Mmmmm Chocolate! Save-On-Foods only had plain and vanilla. Next time I'm at Choices, I'll have a look for the chocolate one. I can only imagine how rich and decadent it must be!! :p

abrennan
Sep 6th, 2005, 12:24 PM
In the supermarket where I shop I was struck up a convo with a shelf stacker one day and said why don't you stock my favourite soy milk BONSOY. She said well actually I'm the buyer for soy milk at this here store who trades the stuff. I told her and then they got in 6 pack of it every week and I bought as many as I could now some other buggers are buying em and the supermarket are buying in heaps, how cool is that?:D

Antony

tipsytop
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:18 PM
v cool - you were clearly in the right place at the right time.

Tigerlily
Sep 6th, 2005, 10:24 PM
I love chocolate almond milk, sad thing is, it's not b12 fortified. :(

speedylemons
Oct 6th, 2005, 02:37 PM
I love soy milk.. i could never just chug down a glass of calf food with a meal. Usually, i like to buy silk vanilla, but this time i opted for some westsoy nonfat vanilla. The silk i usually buy is refrigerated before i buy it, but the westsoy is shelf stable.. however it said to refrigerate after opening. I haven't noticed a difference in taste but i am curious of a few things. My questions are as follows:

Which has a higher nutritional value? Is there a difference?
Should i be getting nonfat soy milk or am i missing out on "good" fat?