PDA

View Full Version : Soya milk

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

FR
Oct 6th, 2005, 03:05 PM
If you are trying to lose weight, opt for the non-fat. If not, I would not deprive my body of good healty fat from soy. :)

Yoggy
Apr 20th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I like soy milk now! I bought some Vitasoy organic soymilk (the kind you buy from the shelf) to use in a cake recipe next week. I decided to try some straight up, and I loved it! And it's cheap, too! I hope they have this brand in Victoria, because I'm going to move back there next week.

Tigerlily
Apr 20th, 2006, 09:40 PM
I like soy milk now! I bought some Vitasoy organic soymilk (the kind you buy from the shelf) to use in a cake recipe next week. I decided to try some straight up, and I loved it! And it's cheap, too! I hope they have this brand in Victoria, because I'm going to move back there next week.

Yeah if we have it on dairy-lovin' PEI, you're sure to get it in Victoria. :)

Yoggy
Apr 20th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Sweet! :d

Troutina
Apr 20th, 2006, 11:34 PM
I buy the smaller 55p soya milks from Waitrose because its just me that uses it, and it goes off quite quickly compared to how often I use it!

Poison Ivy
May 8th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Having never been the biggest fan of soya milk I have just bought some Alpro Soya Light out of curiosity and it is......FANTASTIC:D

For anyone else who's not too keen on the flavour of 'regular' soya milk I highly recommend it, there's no discernible aftertaste at all - I reckon I could get even get my mum to drink some in a cup of tea or coffee without noticing it wasn't anything other than cows milk:D

Cloudy
May 8th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Hmm interesting, I've been meaning to try that light stuff, will deffo give it a go now.

Got some rice milk in the fridge when I can convince myself to try it :)

Poison Ivy
May 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Rice milk is nice - a bit 'waterier' than Soya milk, but fine nevertheless:)

Gorilla
May 9th, 2006, 11:23 AM
i thought that Alpro light had a bit of a weird taste, i prefer the ordinary one, and besides it's a lot cheaper!

Poison Ivy
May 9th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Lol, with me it's the other way round!! (plus I only bought it to try as it was on at special price of 65p!!):D

puffin
May 9th, 2006, 03:08 PM
i thought that Alpro light had a bit of a weird taste, i prefer the ordinary one, and besides it's a lot cheaper!
I didnt like it either. Very odd indeed.

Troutina
May 9th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I was reading the ingredients on soya milk today- why do some have apple juice in them...?!

Poison Ivy
May 9th, 2006, 05:04 PM
The apple juice is used as a sweetener I believe:)

Troutina
May 10th, 2006, 08:37 AM
The apple juice is used as a sweetener I believe:)

Ok thankyou :)
I suspected it would be something like that.
It doesn't taste like apples does it??

Poison Ivy
May 10th, 2006, 09:54 AM
I've never had any that have tasted appley, don't know what anyone else thinks??!:)

Gorilla
May 10th, 2006, 11:43 AM
i don't think bought soya milk sweetened with apple juice tastes appley, but when i made my own and used apple juice in it i could really taste it. i don't know what they do to commercial soya milk but it tastes so different from homemade.

Troutina
May 10th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Hmm well thats ok, I don't really like apple juice, and certainly don't want apple soya milk!?

I'm sure I must have had some without realising.
Its just I've been buying pretty much the same milk since I went vegan-
and then when I was in rome I found some soya milk but it was the proper stuff- just soya beans and water and I really didn't like it on my cereal!
So does soya milk come either as
1.soya beans and water
2. soya benas and water and loads of other things (but is unsweetened?)
3. soya beans and water and apple juice
4. soya beans and water and something else to make it sweetened?

I've been vegan for almost 9 months, how am I confused NOW!?

Gorilla
May 10th, 2006, 04:51 PM
i'm not entirely sure myself ;) i think Alpro use raw cane sugar in their sweetened variety. i don't know what they use in their 'light' variety because i think it says it's unsweetened, but it has a bit of a sickly vanilla-ish taste IMO. supermarket own-brand soya milk often contains apple juice. non-organic soya milks usually contain added calcium and vitamins, but i think organic ones aren't allowed to be fortified.

there are so many different brands and varieties out there now, who'd have thought it?! i chopped and changed quite a bit to start with but now i tend to stick to the same type so i know i like it, i've tried some really nasty ones!

Troutina
May 11th, 2006, 09:57 PM
Thankyou :)
I do usually stick to either Waitrose unsweetened small cartons, or Alpro Soya/ So Good unsweetened.
Just what with being on holiday and going to new shops I have tried some (not so nice) varieties!

aubergine
May 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM
I've always been used to sugar on cereals and in tea, so I find the Alpro sweetened (with apple juice) to be a good alternative. I would imagine this is a far more natural and healthy sugar to ingest, and you can't taste the apple. They do a range of soya + fruit which has a far higher amount of apple in it, but that's just a drink.

Of course if you don't have a sweet tooth, then the unsweetened stuff is fine :)

Pob
May 17th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Small carton of strawberry soya milk plus vodka is good - good substitute for those alcoholic milk drinks. Looks a bit odd being white and not pink, but you can't have everything, and it tastes the part :)

tcaseybrennan
Jul 18th, 2006, 12:41 AM
[quote=ay_runner_22]"Poor animals..." -- T. Casey Brennan quote]

New page on me & podcast interview at:

annarboralive.com/A3Radio/Hydro/scripts.html

puffin
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Not soya milk but wanted to ask who has tried Rice Dream Hazelnut and almond? I love it in porridge, i have to dilute it with water as it is very sweet but you dont need to add sugar or jam to your porridge.

RachelJune
Apr 24th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I love this on cereals, so sweet (I have a serious sweet tooth) :) Also like it as a drink on its own. I don't get it too often though, as it's a bit pricey compared to soya milk.

puffin
Apr 24th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Yes it is expensive. I have just ordered a box, think it has 12 in from a lady who owns a small shop so i will pay the price she gets it at :D Think i payed £1.89 for it in H&B at the weekend :rolleyes: