PDA

View Full Version : Soya milk

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

webster
Jun 5th, 2004, 04:50 PM
My soya milk comes in happy little long life cartons. Which are great ... until you open them. I was buying a kind that had a sort of spout on it (Alpro), but more often than not the spout/cover would break off, leaving you with no way to close it. The kind I am buying now doesn't even have that - it is just a 'cut off the corner' type container. Which might work okay, except then you can't shake it each time before you use it.

(I have read that you are supposed to shake it (rather vigorously) each time before you use it - Does everyone else do this too?)

So I have been left in a quandry as to what to store the milk in once it is opened. I have tried a left over glass bottle, and that worked okay but took up too much space on the door in the fridge (wine bottle sized) and still didn't even hold the whole litre of milk. I am currently using two little plastic pots - one container of soya milk fills two of these - but it doesn't seem to keep very well.

I could splash out more and buy the slightly better containered soya milks that come from the chilled cabinet, but they cost twice as much and I don't like them as well as the others :-(

So how do you store your soya milk?

mattd
Jun 5th, 2004, 09:35 PM
does everyone in the UK call soy milk "soya milk"? just curious, i'm always kinda interested in linguistic differences between countries.

oh, i get eden soy. not sure if they sell it there, but it has a closable "spout" thingy. so i just put it in the fridge after i open it.

globesetter
Jun 5th, 2004, 10:06 PM
I never had a problem with the spout/cover breaking off on my soy milk - I sometimes get Alpro, but its usually Granovita. It stores fine in the fridge.

I am not very good about giving it a good shake everytime - I do before I open it the first time, but then usually forget - a liter usually only lasts a few days, anyway.

I once had an juice container with a spout thingy that fell off - I used a heavy duty tape to hold it on, and it lasted until the juice was gone - although I didn´t try aný vigorous shaking with it.

regards,
globesetter

gertvegan
Jun 6th, 2004, 04:48 PM
I try to buy organic sweetened provamel soya milk which has the little thingy to open and close so don't get the problem. Yes, in the uk, its all soya. I guess webster is refering to a supermarkets own brand like Asda (walmart). The milk doesn't really last long in my house anyway, so no problem. No I don't shake it, but only some brands have some lumpy stuff at the bottom of the carton at the end.

foxytina_69
Jun 6th, 2004, 05:39 PM
my organic soymilk has a plastic tab that u open and close so it stays in the fridge well in the container it comes in.

have u tried using one of those reusable plastic water bottle type things? that would work.

bulletproof
Jun 12th, 2004, 09:40 PM
but soy is as in soy sauce- i use it in stir fry and it certain'y isn't the same a soya :p

Cloudy
Jun 13th, 2004, 10:12 PM
does everyone in the UK call soy milk "soya milk"? just curious, i'm always kinda interested in linguistic differences between countries.

Yeah, at least everyone I know does...

TheFirstBus
Jul 1st, 2004, 08:24 PM
Here we go, I live in British Columbia Canada and while looking at all of the soya milk here they are made by the dairy companies. So I feel like is is purpose defeating because those companies that are taking the milk from the cows still get my money for profit.

eve
Jul 2nd, 2004, 06:12 AM
Guess you can't stop people making profit, but better that they don't profit from the suffering of cows.

TheFirstBus
Jul 2nd, 2004, 07:10 AM
Thats somewhat pessimistic don't you think??

Marlene
Jul 2nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
Try looking for Vitasoy - comes in those unrefrigerated cartons on the shelves, wide variety of flavours, independant company, and it says "VEGAN" on the side of the carton.

TheFirstBus
Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:30 AM
Hey thanks alot

eve
Jul 3rd, 2004, 08:21 AM
Vitasoy is my own soymilk of choice as it is made from whole, organic, Australian soybeans, no GE. I generally buy the fresh rather than the longlife. However, like firstbus pointed out, it is another product made by a dairy company. I'm not pessimistic but simply stating a fact; after all, the dairy companies are losing a slice of the market by consumers chosing soymilk, so I guess they got into the act. Provided they maintain separation of soymilk from dairy, why not?

TheFirstBus
Jul 4th, 2004, 12:03 AM
I picked up some so nice and some silk today. Neither of them seem to have signs of having conections to dairy companies, but I still wonder... if anyone can contradict my appeal to these brands that would be great.

Sabster
Jul 4th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Silk is made by Whitewave. I don't think they have any links to the dairy industry ... then again. In terms of info about silk... the website tells you about the company. I personally like silk unsweetened soymilk:) vitasoy tastes about the same. Someone recommended Pearl... but I haven't tried it.

mattd
Jul 5th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Silk is owned by Whitewave which is owned by Deans, a huge dairy company (probably the biggest here in the US). Not many brands now-a-days aren't owned by dairy. So depending on where you live, you maybe out of luck. I use a brand called Edensoy. It may only be available in the US since it's a fairly small company. If I were you, I'd just do some research on the brands available to you and if none of them are independent of the dairy industry, don't worry about it. Sometimes there's only so much you can do.

Tofu Monster
Jul 5th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Soya milk? Pants! What you guys need is some Rice Dream. And I could be wrong but I believe it's from a company which doesn't have interests in the animal food industry.

Sabster
Jul 5th, 2004, 09:04 PM
I like rice milk but it's too sweet... or rather has a sweet aftertaste I don't care for in general.

TheFirstBus
Jul 5th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Does anyone know anything about the brand "so nice"??

Gorilla
Jul 8th, 2004, 02:14 PM
at the moment i buy my soya milk (yes everyone i know in the UK calls it soya too) in cartons from supermarkets. it's annoying 'cos it always goes a bit lumpy by the time i get to the bottom, so i have to shake it every time.

i've just bought a soya milk maker and i've been wondering how to store it when i've made it fresh. i've only got a small fridge so i can't fit too many bottles or jugs in there, i'll have to refill some juice bottles or something, unless anyone has any better ideas?

Gorilla
Jul 8th, 2004, 03:20 PM
you could always buy a soya milk maker and make your own milk, if you buy the beans from a vegan shop or company you probably won't be supporting companies with interests in the dairy industry. i've just bought one, and i'll let everyone know it goes when i use it :)

Sabster
Jul 9th, 2004, 04:21 AM
plastic containers made for teas and water bottles from supermarkers or large retailers.... that's what i would do.

animalsvoice
Aug 14th, 2004, 12:40 PM
The soy milk here is too. But by buying it we show them we want that instead of cow's milk, and they shouldn't stop making it.

l337_v3g4n_1
Aug 15th, 2004, 11:43 AM
I found a nice brand, Provamel. I don't like the taste of rice dream, or any other rice milk, so I go with provamels soy milk. Provamel also makes rice milk, but I haven't tried that. I tried one of their desserts, it was really nice, like jelly with vanilla flavour. You should try it.

TheFirstBus
Sep 20th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Never did I think I would see the day. My mother is watching tv and a comercial comes on talking about a calcium beverage and then "its not mil, its soy milk" I was quite excited. :D