PDA

View Full Version : A sugar free, no fail cake recipe which appeals to non-vegan sugar addicts?

Peabrain
May 24th, 2013, 08:26 PM
So for the first time ever, I made a chocolate cake last week... Myself and the kids loved it (basically just flour, sunflower spread, Sweet Freedom syrup, cocoa, and banana)... But my husband turned his nose up, and at first he said, it was "fine, then just "okay", then "a bit dense and less sweet than I would ideally like", then "not for me", then finally...

"I hated it!" :amazed_ani:

Git.

I did school him on real manners when talking to a chef...

But does anyone have a vegan, sugar free, no fail cake recipe which appeals to non-vegan sugar addict tastebuds?

ETA: Incidentally it doesn't have to be banana bread, I only used a banana instead of the "no egg" stuff as I can't seem to get cakes to rise when I use that.

Troutina
May 24th, 2013, 09:03 PM
I can't find the exact recipe, but I baked a banana loaf which was vegan and sugar free - I used sundried bananas (not crunchy chips - these: http://bit.ly/18cNCCk) and dates. Really tasty!

Blueberries
May 24th, 2013, 10:59 PM
... at first he said, it was "fine, then just "okay", then "a bit dense and less sweet than I would ideally like", then "not for me", then finally...

"I hated it!"

Wow that was a bit of a progression! I don't have any sugar-free recipes to share but maybe your husband would like the bread you made if he thought of it as a tea bread that he could put some jam or chocolate spread on if he wanted to? Change his perspective a bit :)

Peabrain
May 25th, 2013, 06:55 AM
Well, I think he's got a pre-programmed idea that if it's vegan and sugar free it's automatically "not real"... Twit.

I love him, but recently he's been quite rude about various things in general, so the hatred-worthy cake debacle is probably symptomatic of other issues TBH...

But if I could just get him open to the idea of a good bit of cake, at the very least, that would mean he could feel "included" (I think he feels outcast in terms of vegansim atm)...

Also, it helps if you know if your cake is going to be well received by all. I was offended as I genuinely just wanted to make a nice cake, regardless of it's "vegan" label or anything else. I'm one of those people that gets a lot out of feeding guests/family.

- - - Updated - - -

Incidentally it doesn't have to be banana bread, I only used a banana instead of the "no egg" stuff as I can't seem to get cakes to rise when I use that.

Blueberries
May 25th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Well, I think he's got a pre-programmed idea that if it's vegan and sugar free it's automatically "not real"... Twit.

I love him, but recently he's been quite rude about various things in general, so the hatred-worthy cake debacle is probably symptomatic of other issues TBH...

I can only imagine how frustrating that must be to deal with :( The only consolation I can offer is that you are still a relatively new vegan and that people do come around with time.

Incidentally it doesn't have to be banana bread, I only used a banana instead of the "no egg" stuff as I can't seem to get cakes to rise when I use that.

I haven't used 'No Egg' in a long time. My favourite way to get cakes to rise is adding vinegar-curdled soya milk and bicarbonate of soda.

Peabrain
May 25th, 2013, 09:24 AM
How'd you curdle the soya milk? Also, will it work with other non-dairy milks?

Blueberries
May 25th, 2013, 12:43 PM
How'd you curdle the soya milk? Also, will it work with other non-dairy milks?

The best way to do it is vinegar, although I say you could use lemon juice too. Usually about a tablespoon depending on how much milk you are using. I have tried it with soya milk and also with Kara coconut milk and almond milk. I don't think I have tried with with oat or rice milk.

Freedom
May 25th, 2013, 03:30 PM
I don't know about sugar free cakes, but if you want to make a cake that's very well received among omis too, here you go:

http://vegan-magic.blogspot.fi/2012/02/orange-cake-with-heart-of-chocolate.html

It's very easy to do, and I haven't find anyone who does not like it. There is sugar, but I used unrefined sugar, whole wheat flour, etc.

This is like a very chocolate-y, orange-y fresh extremely sweet huge moist cookie-cake. Maybe you could first make sth like this that's "just" vegan and mostly healthy, then phase out sugar little by little? Change is hard, esp. if it comes all in one cake ;) HTH!

edit. for speeling

Peabrain
May 25th, 2013, 09:38 PM
Almond is the one I was thinking about... But more specifically, what exactly do you have to do to the milk to curdle it? Do you mix the vinegar in, or do you just leave it to do it's job? If so, how long etc...

Blueberries
May 26th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Almond is the one I was thinking about... But more specifically, what exactly do you have to do to the milk to curdle it? Do you mix the vinegar in, or do you just leave it to do it's job? If so, how long etc...

Here is a recipe that uses curdled almond milk in a cake:

http://www.theppk.com/2010/11/vanilla-bean-cupcakes-with-chocolate-ganache/

I'm sure you can adjust it to your specifications :)

tickled onion
May 26th, 2013, 09:50 PM
make him these, you dont even have to cook, every omni goes crazy for them http://rawified.blogspot.ca/2012/06/raw-nanaimo-bars.html

dont make the 3/4 chocolate recipe though, just melt a bar of vegan chocolate for the top, i never have to put water in my cashew mix either, but maybe i just like a firmer bar... not really a cake, but definitely a winner, you'll get lots of brownie points! (i forgot the agave once too and they still flew off the plate)