PDA

View Full Version : Low carb vegan

Festered
Jun 13th, 2013, 11:03 PM
I want to do a low-carb diet. I've always known I am sensitive to carbs , if I eat a carb-rich meal I am almost asleep within half an hour of it.
I also have noticed that I can eat until I am full and be hungry again within couple of hours, which makes me think I might be filling up on stuff that isn't that great for me and I know that people I know who do low-carb say the best thing about it is you don't get hungry between meals.

I have a problem with dodgy blood sugar as well, in that I rarely actually get hungry, I just all of a sudden start feeling sick. I am not diabetic, neither is my Mother but she has it like me but worse-she actually has physically been sick within a couple of minutes of the feeling, even when she doesn't feel she's hungry before that point. I think doing a low carb plan might be good for my blood sugar levels.
I am an inventive cook, but wondered if anybody may be able to help me with regards what sort of foods I should be looking at.
I'm not very overweight, but I am a bit tubby around the middle which I really want to change.
So far, for foods I can eat on a low carb diet I have;
Tofu
Nuts
Seeds
Hummus
Low carb almond milk
Spinach
Avocado
Coconut milk
Low-carb almond milk (if I can find that?)!
Sprouted seeds (not sure which ones)!
Bamboo shoots
Herbs
Courgete
Celery
Cauliflower
Broccoli
Peppers
Kale
Lettuce
Berries
Zero (shiritaki) noodles
Guacamole
Olives
Nutritonal yeast
Almonds (I know they're a nut but apparently they're especially good)..?
Asparagus
Oils (coconut/olive)...
I am wondering about flavours-maybes I can use some commercial sauces, chilli powder etc..

Anyone any experiences or advice?

Thank you in advance

Blueberries
Jun 14th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Hi Festered! Just out of curiousity do you find any difference between how you feel after complex carbs and simple carbs? Or after certain grains? I find I get hungry very often too and have blood sugar dips if I don't eat (and that I feel sick if I have been hungry for too long). I just try to eat little and often.

Festered
Jun 16th, 2013, 05:42 PM
If I eat a lot of sugary carbs (bread for example) I have a mega slump about an hour later. It's weird. Also I'm still carrying extra weight around my midriff despite daily 3-4 mile runs and not eating any bona-fide junk,so I think this might be the problem,too much sugar even though not actual refined sugar.I'm not going to diet, going to eat as much as I want but always go for lower sugary carb options so avoiding any grains and starches. It's the first day I've done it today and I've already slipped up as my salad had wheatberries in it! Bu to be fair I was on the road and needed to eat to stop me keeling over at the wheel-now I'm back home I can be more careful!
Had a big salad with loads of different leaves, sunflower seeds and olives ,with oil and chilli dressing this evening. I'll see what time I get hungry later, and going shopping tomorrow!

Festered
Jun 21st, 2013, 05:39 PM
I didn't plan on weighing myself so soon but 5lb (at least) off in four days. And I've 'cheated' a couple of times (pints of cider are most definitely not low-carb lol).
Amazing really. I'm eating so much fat as well.

Blueberries
Jun 22nd, 2013, 07:27 AM
I didn't plan on weighing myself so soon but 5lb (at least) off in four days. And I've 'cheated' a couple of times (pints of cider are most definitely not low-carb lol).
Amazing really. I'm eating so much fat as well.

I'm glad you're happy with the results :)

Festered
Jun 22nd, 2013, 04:11 PM
It's made me feel a lot better about myself and made me more confident at work :)

- - - Updated - - -

It's made me feel a lot better about myself and made me more confident at work :)

Festered
Jun 30th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I have reached first target weight (7lbs off) now. I was originally going to only low-carb on weekdays and allow myself to eat as I used to on a weekend but I am liking the low-carb alternatives enough to not feel like doing that now. I have been a BIT more relaxed at weekends but my main meals are still low-carb friendly.

- - - Updated - - -

I have reached first target weight (7lbs off) now. I was originally going to only low-carb on weekdays and allow myself to eat as I used to on a weekend but I am liking the low-carb alternatives enough to not feel like doing that now. I have been a BIT more relaxed at weekends but my main meals are still low-carb friendly.

Astrid660
Jun 30th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Good for you, that's awesome! I try to eat low carb.. But mainly because I can't really control myself at times around bread and carb-laden treats. It's funny, I don't really have a sweet tooth, but god forbid there is a load of bread in the house, or it will get devoured.
Any decent recipes you'd like to share?

Festered
Jul 1st, 2013, 01:46 PM
Thank you Astrid-I'm a lot more confident and comfier-is it just me that thinks carrying extra weight means discomfort? lol
I'm the same with bread. The other half buys it for himself but I will steal it all if he leaves it where I can see it!

I can share some of the things I have been eating;

Lunch has often been a big salad with salad leaves, olives,avocado slices, seeds and coconut or olive oil dressing.
Dinners;
Cauliflower mash-cook cauliflower, whiz with a hand blender, add oil,season to taste, add cheese substitute if you wish-I have been having that with stir fried low carb veg and/or meat substitute with a low carb content.
I also made a sort or faux fish pie using cauliflower mash as the mash, with 'cheese' sauce and broccoli and Making Waves tuna substitute. Was surprisingly nice even though I'd never tried the fake tuna stuff before and didn't even like tuna as an omnivore (but that was a long time ago).

Zero noodles with stir fried broccoli ,seeds and peanut sauce.
Celery soup, made from fried onions, cooked and blended celery, non-dairy creamer and vegetable stock.
Snacking on nuts and seeds as and when but I'm not that hungry.
My only real concern is I never went for meat or cheese substitutes before, always avoided processed foods.Will try to rely on them less.

micthemini
Jul 5th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Hi Festered.
I would say I'm do low carb eating as I'm not a bread eater (don't particularly like it much, especially sandwiches), and I only do cereals on a week.
I tend to have a little bit of potatoes or rice with my meal but I have lots of veg.
I do have some meat-like substitute, mainly seitan, which I make and freeze.
I've found I've lost weight too, and I feel healthier.
I also eat less at mealtimes, I only have a sideplate instead of a dinner plate now.
Mic

Festered
Oct 25th, 2013, 04:01 PM
That sounds like a good way of eating, nobody functions at their best when full to bursting with starch!

Okay well my weight loss isn't as dramatic now, I think it may have levelled out or I still may be losing slowly.

I don't watch the amount I eat at all, often go back for seconds, or thirds!

I look a LOT better,my muscle tone shows up more, my stomach is less jiggly, my arms look toned.

However, I am very bored of this way of eating now!I don't have cravings for carby foods or anything, just hit a wall with inspiration for food fullstop.
Also, I don't know if it is related to low-carb or not, but I have had a few minor infections including a yeast infection. I thought they were more likely caused by too many carbs, not few, though!