PDA

View Full Version : Might sound bonkers... But I'm an adult, and am taller since being vegan!

Peabrain
Jul 16th, 2013, 06:27 PM
I have recently discovered that I am now 5 foot 3 inches, having been only just over 5 foot 2 inches tall since the age of 13...

I'm THIRTY FOUR!

Now obviously less than an inch is not a huge increase, but considering my fairly short overall height, it is rather a significant increase for an ADULT to grow by, and it's definitely NOT anything to do with my measuring tape...

Now, believe me, when I was a teenager I desperately wanted to be a catwalk model (yes, I know *shamefaced*) and that extra "bit-of-an-inch" meant a lot to me, but I just stopped growing and after years of re-measuring and getting no joy, at about 18, I resigned myself to being a shorty.

Who knew I would be able to become one now? :p:p:p

Hehehe...

But seriously, anyone else had changes happen since becoming vegan, which are usually only an adolescent occurrence?

Blueberries
Jul 16th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I'm a shorty too, just under 5'3'' (1.6 metres). I've always wanted to be tall, nobody takes us tiny people seriously when we're angry ;)

It could be just general fluctuations, ie being taller in the morning due to muscles relaxing during sleep.

Barry
Jul 16th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Have you been doing anything back exercises or yoga or anything like that? The way you stand can knock up to two inches off your height.

I'm a bit of a short-arse too. I'm 5'7", which is fairly short for a man. It doesn't bother me a bit though.

You and Blueberries are practically giants compared to my OH who's five foot nothing!

deniselynn
Jul 16th, 2013, 08:19 PM
As I found out after being in a body cast and lying down for 6 weeks, your spine can 'plump up' temporarily, the discs decompress a bit.

Peabrain
Jul 16th, 2013, 08:29 PM
I thought of those things at first, but I haven't done anything differently, and this height change is consistent, whether it's morning or evening, AND has stayed the same for about 6 months. I'm definitely actually taller! lol...

Freedom
Jul 17th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Actually, it doesn't sound bonkers. I'm taller too! +2 cm at 38 yrs, the nurse who was measuring my hight could not believe her eyes! Finally she jammed the measuring-thingy almost INTO my head, trying desperately to make me shorter..!

I have been taking Alexander technique lessons, maybe that's why. The theory is, often all the stress stays in your body - it doesn't always go back to your normal tall relaxed being after differend kinds of (emotional) pressure. So, maybe I've remembered who I was meant to be, and thus stand taller? :)

An importand part of this relaxed "I'm who I am" is definitely being vegan. Maybe you too have released some old stress, and because of that now stand taller? :D

Peabrain
Jul 17th, 2013, 09:44 AM
Yes, maybe. I do feel that way, just more proud of who I am as a person.

It's amazing the effect, isn't it?

Freedom
Jul 17th, 2013, 09:03 PM
Yes, it sure is - in so many ways!

Geminga
Jul 25th, 2013, 02:24 PM
No you are not crazy! I also grew 2 cm in one year after going vegan at the age of 27. Before i was 174 and I had mesured many many times. Had been that for at least 10 years. Suddenly boom. In fact it was not just me who noticed it but my wife and others. I am now taller than someone who was taller just before I went vegan and he agrees too. It is not supposed to be possible but it is real. But I have no idea why?

MeThe13thDuke
Aug 3rd, 2013, 01:48 AM
As others have implied, it's probably to do with posture. Standing tall and proud as a vegan!